cps2: battery replacement or phoenix

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I was just curious what the general opinion is on whether it's better to replace the battery in a cps2 b board or just go ahead and phoenix it with the decrypted program Roms.

Does phoenixing affect the value of the games?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I was just curious what the general opinion is on whether it's better to replace the battery in a cps2 b board or just go ahead and phoenix it with the decrypted program Roms.

It used to, but I don't think it bothers the price as much. Really only collectors want the battery board for purity's sake. A game player just wants the game to play.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
This has been discussed to death, and there are some strong opinions on both sides. But most people don't care that much one way or the other.

I maintain the batteries so far because I just haven't taken the time to get a phoenixing setup.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf

Not all phoenix roms are 100% original code.
Sometimes the files/code for the phoenix roms are different than the originals. This is not factoring file decryption.

Good thing about Phoenix roms it that they allow for restoration of otherwise dead boards.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Think of it like this:

It's easy to go from a working, original code board with battery to a phoenixed board.

It's not easy to go the other way around.

If it turns out in 10 years that phoenixed boards are worth more than original boards, big whoop you can phoenix it then.
If however original boards eventually are sought after and you phoenixed it with no real cause, tough luck

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Keep the battery fresh in your boards that have batteries, don't just let them die. As said above, it's easy to phoenix a battery board but impossible the other way around.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I'd agree with the recommendation to replace/leave the battery if possible. If the game is already working, no reason to phoenix it, and battery replacement is easy and a nice intro to soldering. That being said, I don't think phoenixing changes the value as much as some people seem to think, especially in light of the explosion of demand for CPS2 stuff.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The batteries used to affect value for CPS2 games but it has shifted to phoenixing. Now phoenixed games go for more than ones that aren't but only by as much as the phoenixing cost.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
The batteries used to affect value for CPS2 games but it has shifted to phoenixing. Now phoenixed games go for more than ones that aren't but only by as much as the phoenixing cost.

I'd say this is true with the exception of the true collector pieces; primarily matching kits.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards phoenixing my games because none of them are particularly rare and I don't like having to worry about the batteries in the back of my mind.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards phoenixing my games because none of them are particularly rare and I don't like having to worry about the batteries in the back of my mind.

Honestly I'd just change the batteries. If one ever dies, then get it phoenixed. You may as well keep it original while you can, it's cheaper anyway.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member

...or, make an offer to exchange your battery boards for phoenixed boards? If no one bites - at least you made an effort to keep them original. Yeah, it'll be $12 to ship it, but you're going to spend money to change the battery or have it phoenixed anyways. I don't love the idea of phoenixing boards that don't need it. I understand the logic I guess, but at the same time the thing you're worrying about...can be fixed with the solution you're pre-emptively employing. So long as you store your boards face down, you really have nothing to worry about.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I'm in the camp of phoenix and forget. I've had a couple boards leak on me and damage some vital components so it's turned me off to keeping battery boards. The storage and playing conditions of the boards also affect how quickly a battery will leak. Heat will cause leakage earlier as opposed to keeping the board in a cool and dry environment. This why popular fighting games likes Marvel vs Capcom are more prone to acid damage because they are still being actively played in the field.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
I personally would change the battery if the board is still original, it's a 5 minute solder job that anyone can do without problems .

Otoh , I only have one CPS2 game and it's an original Progear that came phoenixed .