Converting cab to MVS

gobie73

n00b
Hiya,

I bought a cab in reasonable condition and I am wanting to convert it to MVS (cab only cost me £35 ($60) and it had £12 ($21) worth of change in it!!!!!). I have the motherboard and a few games and put it in and it works no problem (got the board and 3 games (art of fighting, puzzle bobble and supersidekicks) for £80 ($130). The only thing I cant get to work is the D button, the cab originally had 5 buttons (ex mortal kombat I think) A B and C work fine but the other two buttons dont register as D!!!! Wheres the best place to look for what to do or should I re-wire the lot to proper MVS so that at least I will know that everything is in order???

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first encounter with MVS

Simon

Last edited:

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
I think rewiring the cab is probably a good idea if ur up for a project, wiring a jamma is easy and in the end u'll have a cab u know inside out so if u wanna mod it it'll be easier. If u just wanna get it done quickly tho, just wire one of the buttons up to the right jamma pin and ur away, my cab origionally only had 3 buttons, i just added another one onto each side (as a D button) and wired it up to the existing jamma.
http://www.hardmvs.com/index.htm
is the best place to go for any MVS questions, the download and project sections are great.

Last edited:

Briggs

I'm getting too old for this shit...,
First, you would get a better response by posting in the Tech forum.

As far as the buttons go, on a MK cab the extra buttons use a "kick" harness which means they use a connector that is seperate from the Jamma harness. You can to wire up a D button pretty easily. Just use the same ground wire that the other buttons use and add the other wire to the C or 25 opening on the Jamma connector.

http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

Good luck!

gobie73

n00b
Well after much sweating (and much more swearing :blow_top: ) I have rewired the entire cab from top to bottom. Everything working well (so far anyway) just need to grab myself a new cpo and a marquee and job will be about done. Quite happy with it for a first effort.

Any ideas what I should wire the fifth button up as or shall i just get rid of it??

Simon

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
gobie73 said:
Hiya,
I bought a cab in reasonable condition and I am wanting to convert it to MVS (cab only cost me £35 ($60) and it had £12 ($21) worth of change in it!!!!!)

Did it "fall off the back of a truck" ? :smirk:

There is nowhere on the jamma/MVS edge connect to connect the fith button, as Briggs mentioned the extra buttons would have connected to a kick harness that plugs into a seperate socket on the MK board set. I would remove the extra buttons and blank the holes off (you can get blanking plugs to do the job neatly, if you cant find them PM your address and I will drop a couple in the mail.)
Apart from MK there are not many games that use 5 buttons

What sort of mother board is it, if you have the stereo option you will need to rewire (add another) speaker/s.

gobie73

n00b
It didnt fall off the back of a wagon it came off a caravan park, the owner couldn't fix it so he wanted rid of it. I also got a lethal enforcers dedicated cab for £55 ($90) at the same time. He thought the monitor was knackered but when I got it home and had a good root around inside it was his bootleg MK board that was the problem, it had burnt chips and allsorts wrong with it. I'll look for those blanking plugs on the net any chance of sending me a link?? I have now fitted an external test switch and am in the process of fitting a pause button too. Been busy with it so far happy with my first cab conversion, just needs tarting up a bit now!!!

Simon

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
plugs.jpg

Not sure where youd find them in the UK, Rob Roberts has them for a buck a piece.

http://www.dameon.net/BBBB/parts.html

I have some spares, pm your address and you can have them FOC.

BTW what motherboard do you have ??

gobie73

n00b
Just a one slot at the minute, looking at getting a four though in the very near future.

Simon

PS Cheers for offering me the blanking plugs