Contra Operation Galuga

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I am 99% sure this is that Chinese CONTRA game made for phones a few years back. Pringles even had a promotion with Bill and Lance, I shipped some to a few members even.

As this forum's biggest CONTRA fan, this series ended with a bang, NEO CONTRAAAAAAAAAA. A magnificent game, and saddens me to say 20 years ago when I first played it I wondered to myself what Konami would do to top it. They never did.

Every game after Neo CONTRA never lived up to expectations.

This series is dead, Konami is dead, and I know who I am, a true CONTRA Warrior.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Bill Rizer: [to the dying Mystery G] Hang on.

Mystery G: Ah... Don't worry about me. With these wounds, I'm already a goner. More importantly, you gotta get him!

Bill Rizer: But we can't just...

Mystery G: Listen, Rizer! Don't let his words rattle you. You know who you are. And how you live your life dictates who you are. You're not a fake if you risk your life fighting for your ideals. You are a true hero. You are Contra.

Bill Rizer: Just who are you?

Mystery G: The same as you. Contra... I was called that...

-------------
It's not a crime for a man to cry.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Bill Rizer: [to the dying Mystery G] Hang on.

Mystery G: Ah... Don't worry about me. With these wounds, I'm already a goner. More importantly, you gotta get him!

Bill Rizer: But we can't just...

Mystery G: Listen, Rizer! Don't let his words rattle you. You know who you are. And how you live your life dictates who you are. You're not a fake if you risk your life fighting for your ideals. You are a true hero. You are Contra.

Bill Rizer: Just who are you?

Mystery G: The same as you. Contra... I was called that...

-------------
It's not a crime for a man to cry.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I am 99% sure this is that Chinese CONTRA game made for phones a few years back. Pringles even had a promotion with Bill and Lance, I shipped some to a few members even.

As this forum's biggest CONTRA fan, this series ended with a bang, NEO CONTRAAAAAAAAAA. A magnificent game, and saddens me to say 20 years ago when I first played it I wondered to myself what Konami would do to top it. They never did.

Every game after Neo CONTRA never lived up to expectations.

This series is dead, Konami is dead, and I know who I am, a true CONTRA Warrior.
Damn. When you're right, you're right.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Can't believe it's being developed by Wayforward. Looks like Chinese shit with all those horrible colors and ultra generic designs.
They developed that ridiculous Contra 4 for the DS everyone goobed over. I remember because my brother (the one who never makes videos for the Youtube channel) wrote something deragatory about the game online back when it was announced, and someone claiming to be on the dev team for the game wrote more than one angry response, and later deleted them. It was hilarious.

I did like Double Dragon Neon.

We have to accept that our beloved franchises of our childhood have been rented out to some other developers now. This is Contra in name only. You are right about Neo Contra being the last one. Guess they don't call you 'Sage for nothing.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Getting a LRG physical

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Heh... I loved Contra Rebirth (which is 2009 wiiware!) and never even wanted to try Neo...
Neo Contra got slammed upon release. In the end, I think reviewers were really, really unhappy with it not being a sidescroller like Shattered Soldier.

If you can cope with the Super C-esque camera angle, you'd realize Neo Contra encapsulates the spirit of Contra dialled up to 11. It moves past the bleakness and depression of SS and into cigar chomping, tongue-in-cheek territory.

Being shot out of a space station shaped like a gun.
Getting shot out of a volcano into a river.
Running on helicopter blades.
Old bosses like Kimkoh returning and given new life as a butterfly.
A Super C song given an incredible remix.
One of the greatest opening cinemas in gaming history.

The only complaint I have is that it does lack the intensity of previous games, but going for a no die run is still great fun and, like SS, a way to get the true ending and extra levels.

Looking back, as Bill and Jaguar do a Strider and ride away on a whale's back in the ending, it's clear to me this is where Contra ended, and everything that came after has just been fan games given official releases.

edit: I forgot Bill and Jaguar break the fourth wall and wave to you at the very end. What a game.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah, this looks like a mobile game company made this.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I played the demo yesterday, whoever was in charge of this game at WayForward doesn't seem to understand what the original Contra games are about. I don't care about the scenario, I don't want dialogues taking over during gameplay, especially when we already have to deal with subpar sound effects and boring symphonic music. It's not a movie, it's a Contra game. Contra games are about blowing shit up non stop, not sharing thoughts. This demo was boring. If the whole game is like that, it's going to be a hard pass for me. Do yourself a favor and get Super Cyborg instead.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I don't want dialogues taking over during gameplay,
Thankfully arcade mode is just the levels with the story removed.

It's a hard pass for me cuz it's thirty f'ing dollars. Modern game prices are just insane.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I played the demo yesterday, whoever was in charge of this game at WayForward doesn't seem to understand what the original Contra games are about. I don't care about the scenario, I don't want dialogues taking over during gameplay, especially when we already have to deal with subpar sound effects and boring symphonic music. It's not a movie, it's a Contra game. Contra games are about blowing shit up non stop, not sharing thoughts. This demo was boring. If the whole game is like that, it's going to be a hard pass for me. Do yourself a favor and get Super Cyborg instead.
That's a big oof. I was kinda cautiously optimistic.

Collector nerds are already goobing over the LRG special editions, especially the Switch version (whose demo really seems to run like shit compared to the others.)

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Have the demo on the list.
Not tried it yet but my hopes are being crushed by these posts.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Seems like they didn't get the memo that you don't do a demo these days unless you're very confident in the quality of your product.