Consolized MVS @ Sanyo Z3 / Projector

kite

n00b
Hi everyone :)

currently a 2slot is being converted for me and befor it´s finished and shipped to me i´d like to ask if someone has a consolized MVS on a Sanyo Z3 Projector or on a Projector in general. I´ve heard the RGB signal of arcade hardware is pretty strong and on some homecinema forums some guys are experiencing problems with different rgb-hardware like sattelite-settop-boxes or something so they soldered a 75ohm resistor into the lead.

So my questions:

Has anyone ever experienced problems with arcade-hardware on a projector?
Since i´ve had massive problems with my MVS on a SONY tv i thought i ask first this time :confused:
Will the MVS work with no resistor in the lead on my projector?
Or is a "potentiometer" (sorry i don´t know the english word for that) which is adjustable between lets say 0-100 ohms the right choice?

Thank you very much

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
kite said:
Hi everyone :)

currently a 2slot is being converted for me and befor it´s finished and shipped to me i´d like to ask if someone has a consolized MVS on a Sanyo Z3 Projector or on a Projector in general. I´ve heard the RGB signal of arcade hardware is pretty strong and on some homecinema forums some guys are experiencing problems with different rgb-hardware like sattelite-settop-boxes or something so they soldered a 75ohm resistor into the lead.

So my questions:

Has anyone ever experienced problems with arcade-hardware on a projector?
Since i´ve had massive problems with my MVS on a SONY tv i thought i ask first this time :confused:
Will the MVS work with no resistor in the lead on my projector?
Or is a "potentiometer" (sorry i don´t know the english word for that) which is adjustable between lets say 0-100 ohms the right choice?

Thank you very much

The logical choice would be a potentiometer.

I myself am going to be using my CMVS on a projector soon in maybe 1 month. I will post pics of it when I do.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
One of my old friends built a supergun and runs it out of a projector and plays a 1 slot with a neo geo CP. He lives in Folsom and I haven't been out there since he built it though. I've heard its really cool though.

kite

n00b
Alright thanks :) I´ll try the potentiometer option then, its some extra money but when its helps~ I´ll let you know if there were any problems or not :)

Asure

Captain Dick,
CPS-2 only i think..

I had to use pots for my cps-2 boards only. The MVS was at an acceptable level.
The CPS-2 had such i high levels it really screwed up my cheap deawoo.

For reference, i had loads of boards running at fine rgb levels (over scart) on that tv, many arcade pcbs from tetris to primal rage, to mvs, no probs whatsoever.

The cps-2 worked fine in my cab without adjustment.. just not on the tv.

So, i'd test it without resistors/potmeter first, then when the pic is too washed out, just put in the pots. It's crap to adjust them btw.. you need to put them all at about the same level, otherwise the other color(s) get washed out :).. the current chooses the way of the lowest resistance.

- Alex

kite

n00b
Ah i see. So you put pots at the pins for R, G and B am i seeing this right? :)

About "screwing up".. so you can damage a TV/Projector with to high powered RGB Levels? :annoyed: I´m sorry i´m really not that much of a tv-technican ^^

Asure

Captain Dick,
I'm sorry, i wasn't quite clear.
By screwing up i ment, it had a screwed-up picture. It did not damage my tv.
It's easy to see if you will need the pots/resistors, colors will be too bright,
especially white, it will 'smear' over the screen.

Now, i am not an expert, but i think just for a short test period you won't damage
anything. Again, it's easy to see if the image is distorted with colour.. or if it's ok..
If it's distorted, turn off the MVS power, and add the potmeters to it.

Yes, you would need to add the pots to the r/g/b line

Jamma R -> POT -> SCART R input
Jamma G -> POT -> SCART G input
Jamma B -> POT -> SCART B input

The rgb levels are 'low' level voltage, usually 1.0v or lower i'd say. (vga can be as low as 0.7v). Although it's not impossible, it's very unlikely you will damage anything. Just make sure to double-check all work before powering up.

See http://www.jamma.nl/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1312
for a general idea..

- Alex

Last edited:

kite

n00b
Sorry for the late reply :)

Thanks for the explanations, it made things clearer now :)
I´ll try it out with the 3 pots then :)

Greets
-kite