Connecting MV2F (or any multi-slot MVS) to a Supergun

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
Would like to determine what exactly is needed to connect an MVS board, like the MV2F, to a supergun.

I'm sure most, or all, of you here know there's a slightly different interface used for multislot MVS boards, but just in case anyone isn't familiar, I'm going off this chart where it says "Harness Type":

boardcompare.PNG

I've looked at this: https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-convert-a-mvs-board-into-jamma.180248/

...and given my recent experiences with soldering/modding MV1B boards, that's a big fat no, especially on a board as expensive as an MV2F.

Now, when looking at this Alie ad here, they have a check mark for compatibility on all the MVS boards:

CBOX 1.0: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805054788992.html

compatconsole.PNG

But I'm skeptical on that, especially since that's one of the cheaper superguns, and I can't find anything about MVS compatibility on this more expensive model:

CBOX 4.0: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802310305409.html

So assuming that those superguns won't interface properly with an MV2F, would something like this do the trick:

I absolutely want to keep any soldering irons away from any of these multislot boards, so if it can't be done without soldering, then I'll just scrap the idea.

Thanks.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A few of the pins are different between MVS and Jamma, and there are adapters you can get out there for a plug and play solution. Alternatively, a ghetto method I've used is to look up the pinouts between the two, I think the main difference is just the audio. Use a jamma extension cable, cut the wires in the harness that have to do with audio, use that as the adapter and pull your audio from the MVS board's headphone jack. (Do this at your own risk, of course.)

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
You don’t need to solder anything on the board. You do everything at the harness level OR just buy a ‘gun that has a switch for it build in like Arcadeforge stuff.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
I guess the button remapping is an optional thing. Found a video where it seemed the only issue was the audio...something about the audio ground being wired to test instead, which caused the audio issues. Thought there was more to it than that.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
A lot of super guns are already built to work with MVS. I think some even have a switch.

When I built mine 15 years ago I didn't even worry about it. I just wired it for MVS. If I use a jamma board instead I just plugin the right audio jack on my supergun instead of both.

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
Update: MV2F board works great with my aliexpress supergun, no audio issues, although I did have a moment of panic when I couldn't get sound on slot 2 with Unibios 4.0 installed. Turns out was normal, and this is good info to know:

twoslotsound.PNG

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
So MV2F doesn't seem to retain Unibios settings, so guessing board battery is toast. Would replacing with a 2032 socket and LIR2032 rechargeable be a decent solution?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yes, but the battery holder won't be a perfect fit. You'll have to add a wire or a solder bridge. Jamma Nation X has a guide:

TheMagicianLord

Rugal's Thug
Yes, but the battery holder won't be a perfect fit. You'll have to add a wire or a solder bridge. Jamma Nation X has a guide:

Checked out their 2F guide as well as 1B. Both involve disabling the charging circuit and using a standard 2032. What I wanted to do was use a rechargeable LIR2032 and not disable the charging circuit. I'm just unsure if the existing charging circuit will be compatible with the LIR2032 (e.g. maybe the circuit will charge it too fast or overcharge?)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Checked out their 2F guide as well as 1B. Both involve disabling the charging circuit and using a standard 2032. What I wanted to do was use a rechargeable LIR2032 and not disable the charging circuit. I'm just unsure if the existing charging circuit will be compatible with the LIR2032 (e.g. maybe the circuit will charge it too fast or overcharge?)
It'll work with a new rechargeable battery with the same specs as the stock one.