Connect Sync Strike directly to Modern PC Monitor?

thetallguy

New Challenger
Will running a VGA cable straight from the Sync Strike to the VGA port of a modern ASUS or BenQ monitor work?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
It should, as it advertises VGA 15kHz output as one of its features.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
The sync strike will not upscale to 31khz so if your monitor doesn't support 15khz then it wont work.

thetallguy

New Challenger
The sync strike will not upscale to 31khz so if your monitor doesn't support 15khz then it wont work.

Well I have an ASUS VS247H and it says it does:

Analog Signal Frequency : 30~80 KHz(H)/ 55~75 Hz(V)
Digital Signal Frequency : 30~80 KHz(H)/ 55~75 Hz(V)

So how do I get the Sync Strike to work with it without creating noticeable lag?

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
How does 30-80khz lead you to believe that it supports 15khz? That is clearly outside the specified range.

thetallguy

New Challenger
How does 30-80khz lead you to believe that it supports 15khz? That is clearly outside the specified range.

I didn't say it did. If you actually took the time to read the second sentence, I asked how to get the Sync Strike to work then.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You would need an upscaler for it to work, in which case, you will introduce lag. There's really no way around it. Unless you get a multisync monitor.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
yea the only real application for the sync strike is that you have a monitor that supports 15khz and is expecting H/V sync. Taking your C sync from the SCART through the LM1881 yielding H/V sync

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
yea the only real application for the sync strike is that you have a monitor that supports 15khz and is expecting H/V sync. Taking your C sync from the SCART through the LM1881 yielding H/V sync

OR use It with a GBS 8200 board :)

there are Tri-sync monitors out there.. one of the NEC 17 inch LCD monitors is tri-sync.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I didn't say it did. If you actually took the time to read the second sentence, I asked how to get the Sync Strike to work then.

Oops, I read "Well I have an ASUS VS247H and it says it does" as a response to "f your monitor doesn't support 15khz then it wont work".

Anyway, that cheap Gonbes CGA to VGA scaler is the most practical way to get your games to display on your monitor if you already have a sync strike. Getting consoles connected to that scaler is one of the sync strike's main uses. You will get a full frame of lag though. Just try it. 15khz RGB LCDs are exceedingly rare in the consumer market. It's damn near impossible to avoid a scaler if you want to go the LCD route. Might as well start with the cheapest scaling solution.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What do you need the sync strike for exactly?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What kind of lag does the Gonbes have?

Terrible.

I believe its 2 frames plus whatever your display has.

If lag is a concern, I wouldn't recommended it.

If picture quality is a concern, I wouldn't recommend it.

thetallguy

New Challenger
This is my current project.

Trying to connect about 14 consoles to one monitor with as little lag as possible. S-Video and RGB consoles. I know I'll probably need a decoder for the S-Video consoles

console-setup-768x768.jpg

thetallguy

New Challenger
Terrible.

I believe its 2 frames plus whatever your display has.

If lag is a concern, I wouldn't recommended it.

If picture quality is a concern, I wouldn't recommend it.

What do you recommend?

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
I don't think you're gonna find a better fit for your needs than the XRGB-3.
If your monitor doesn't like to sync up to the XRGB-3 when its hooked up to the Atari 7800, then the best bet is probably to put a DVDO Edge between the XRGB and your monitor. The Edge adds 6ms of lag. Still, the total 8ms lag (2ms XRGB-3 b1 and 6ms DVDO Edge) is far less than anything else out there. The XRGB Mini Framemeister (which I love) has 20ms of lag all by itself.

Since you're trying to play on a monitor rather than a TV, you should give serious consideration to getting a CRT like a Sony PVM.

Last edited:

thetallguy

New Challenger
I don't think you're gonna find a better fit for your needs than the XRGB-3.
If your monitor doesn't like to sync up to the XRGB-3 when its hooked up to the Atari 7800, then the best bet is probably to put a DVDO Edge between the XRGB and your monitor. The Edge adds 6ms of lag. Still, the total 8ms lag (2ms XRGB-3 b1 and 6ms DVDO Edge) is far less than anything else out there. The XRGB Mini Framemeister (which I love) has 20ms of lag all by itself.

Since you're trying to play on a monitor rather than a TV, you should give serious consideration to getting a CRT like a Sony PVM.

Where can I find a DVDO Edge? Ebay has zero and Amazon only has the Edge Green

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I recommend the XRGB-2 providing your display has VGA inputs.

Zero lag and no need for the SLG as it has a scanline option built in. Plus it doesn't have the compatibility issues that the xrgb 3 or Framemeister has. And it's far easier to set it up once and forget it. The 3 and Framemeister require endless tinkering to get different sources to work.

thetallguy

New Challenger
I recommend the XRGB-2 providing your display has VGA inputs.

Zero lag and no need for the SLG as it has a scanline option built in. Plus it doesn't have the compatibility issues that the xrgb 3 or Framemeister has. And it's far easier to set it up once and forget it. The 3 and Framemeister require endless tinkering to get different sources to work.

Thanks. Hopefully I can find one

sylphia

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi,
I am also looking for an suitable option to build a Jamma test rig, based on a mini LCD monitor.
The Gonbo GBS8200 seems like an option. As already mentioned above, I would also recommend Micomsoft options, such as the XSelect D4 unit.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
didn't want to piss you off... just trying to help you find the perfect solution...