Commercial Display or Digital Signage Displays

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I've a question for the Hyphen Brain Trust.

Has anyone here ever used commercial or digital signage displays for gaming?

I'm not sure if it would be worth the bother. Thought it may make a good display for a Mame pedestal.

Though I half expect it such things wouldn't be very good for that. The idea was that because it has built in software for doing displays I could have other stuff running on it until I wanted to use it.

Any reason such a thing would be any better than just using a big screen TV. A gaming monitor would be cool but it would be way too costly to get one as big as I'm looking at. Though a projector may work.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I just recently got a signage display a week ago. Got it for a steal, brand new LG 49" for $150 is something i just couldn't pass up. Im planning to use it as a digital movie poster "now playing" for my home theater or some kind signage display for my arcade room.

I did hook up an xbox 360/xbox one & raspberry pi to test it out before putting it back in the box. Plays and looks exactly like a normal tv. I wasn't able to get the software to work but really didn't spend any time trying to.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
They typically have a ~6ms response time. That's slower than a top of the line Sony or something, which would be 4ms at 120hz. Not sure if that would make a difference IRL, though. I'd imagine the signage displays are a lot more expensive to run, though. A lot of them have some upscaling technology and noice reduction built in, so I'd assume that would introduce a lot of lag. Not sure if you can turn that stuff off.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Brand new? Sure but there are better choices of display and for less no doubt. Second hand? Hell no. The hours on them are insane. I picked up a 40" Samsung signage display and it had the worst burn in on an LCD that I have ever seen. It was used as a CCTV display.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Depending on how long these were used, I would rather trust a Walmart floor model that was on 24/7 for a year. At least you could still get a warranty with that. Depending on use case they could see extreme weather variants for long periods of time. Having a video wall could be cool, but it’d be more practical to just invest in a projector.

If you’re buying new, It’s not worth the premium over a normal tv.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Projectors have never looked like anything put shite to me, other than movie theater ones obviously.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Well, I've been looking at different TV options and I thought a lot of the features they have are overkill for what I want. I'm looking for one to use with an emulator set up and I want something that I can leave in tate mode.

Size was the other issue. Gaming monitors are all smaller than I want and the bigger ones seem to have gone super wide and curved so that wouldn't really work.

A projector is kind of out of the question at the moment. Also, I have two old school giant Sony CRT projectors that I should maybe part ways with.

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Not quite on topic but not worth making a new thread over,

Are plasma TV setups still a thing?

I remember people being big on those for some gaming and then some being like the lag was too awful. I see used sets for sale locally from time to time but never really put much thought into them.

Are they still something worth picking up or has the LCD and others surpassed them so far that they aren't worth having for playing old games on? Or were they ever worth it?

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Not quite on topic but not worth making a new thread over,

Are plasma TV setups still a thing?

I remember people being big on those for some gaming and then some being like the lag was too awful. I see used sets for sale locally from time to time but never really put much thought into them.

Are they still something worth picking up or has the LCD and others surpassed them so far that they aren't worth having for playing old games on? Or were they ever worth it?

The lag wasn't in relation to it being a plasma panel. It was just in the processor.

My ex had a Sanyo that had terrible delay, but my Panasonic I got a few years later was great. I never did full lag tests, but I was able to play rhythm games in game mode without any additional calibration. So that's a good indicator.

plasma's had way better motion processing to avoid the screen door effect and soap opera effect. they aren't much of a thing anymore, the last plasma panels to be on the market were made in 2013.

As for OP, I used to use digital signage. In the fighting game scene, it was getting popular to use digital signage instead of TV's about 10 years ago. 07-10 was a fucking terrible time for consumer grade TVs - CRTs were few and far between at that point, and flat panels (both LCD and plasma) were hit and miss with how they interpreted gaming signals (more misses than hits).

Digital Signage since it didn't do any additional processing mitigated a lot of that lag. It didn't come cheap though - they were expensive as fuck.

Now consumer grade TV's are significantly better than digital signage. So unless you're a baller on a budget and one comes into your hands for a cheap price...

Here's an WAY old thread on the SRK forum that goes into detail about this

https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/the-new-definitive-hdtv-lag-faq/54637/1

Last edited: