Collector or Gamer?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I'd say I'm more of a collector, at least nowadays. When I was younger (grade school and highschool) I was more gamer. However, I've been collecting video game systems since grade school. Have at least one of *almost* every released foreign/domectic gaming console/portable. Also collect various arcade machines/boards.

As of January of this year, my main fetish is collecting JPN AES Neo games to mostly look at LOL. Doing pretty good so far just this year.. 56 carts and counting. Including some relative "rarities"/gems like Metal Slug (1,2,3,5), Pulstar, Blazing Star, Garou MOTW, Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter, Ninja Masters, Magical Drop 3, Puzzle Bobble (conv), Shock Troopers 1 (conv), etc...

Tyrant

n00b
I guess I'm more of a collector nowadays, however, I only collect the games that I really want.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Both.

For Neo, I collect MVS games. For example I'm going to collect all KoF's, regardless of their similarities. But I don't need them complete. But I do require a box for them (but serials don't have to match). So, soon I'll have all the KoF's, but naturally I'm going to actively play only maybe two or three of them.

But Metal Slugs I do want as complete kits, with large marquees. I like Slugs so much, that it demands me to put some extra attention in collecting them.

Stokers

Geese's Thug
I would say im both

I will usually buy games that i like to play - however i will try and complete every series i have Aof, Kof, FF, SS etc. i wouldnt buy something that i didnt like as a game despite its value or collectability.

Having said that tho i wont buy anything thats not in mint condition with a baggie for the manual. So i reckon im kinda both

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Why do noobs bump old threads? :confused:

Last edited:

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
both

Both.

I enjoy playing the games I collect like a baseball card collector enjoys displaying or admiering his collection.

BaaL

n00b
the.bet said:
Both.

I enjoy playing the games I collect like a baseball card collector enjoys displaying or admiering his collection.

Except your "display" constists of an old liqour box in the corner of the room...

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
60% gamer - 40% collector. Maybe I already posted that. Fuck, who cares. Shit, this thread is old.

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
Gamer here. I just collect Neo Geo titles that I like to play which are Vs fighting and side srolling or verticle shooters.

MistressDragon

The Ultimate 11
I'm a collector and a gamer. I usually play the game, but I keep everything in such mint condition that I add it to my collection after. I rarely sell anything, and my items date back to when I was a kid. Most situations are once I buy a system and games, they don't leave.

hateful_liar

Armored Scrum Object
100% Gamer. Every game, system, peripheral or set up was bought with at the very least, the intention, of being played. The collector scene, doesn't really interest me. While those carts cases look awfully nice sitting on shelf, I simply cannot justify (or even find the funding if I wanted to) paying hundreds of dollars for a single game. It was the beauty of the Last Blade Series and MOTW that first brought me in to the neo, and the fun of the KOF' series, Samurai Showdown and other SNK classics that finally pushed me into MVS. No kits; just carts. I can buy more that way. ;)

Tyrant

n00b
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to bump old threads.

What you should do is make an entirely new thread asking the exact same question so you can get flamed because there already was a thread asking the same question.

Tyrant said:

What you should do is make an entirely new thread asking the exact same question so you can get flamed because there already was a thread asking the same question.

Actually you are almost correct. We prefer not to bump old threads here...I know I've seen the mods say why in the past but I can't remember....something along the lines of people can get confused and reply to insigificant posts. I mean c'mon, this thread is 3 years old...alot of the people who posted in it don't even come here anymore.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Tyrant said:

LOL. Good point.

GunstarHero said:
Actually you are almost correct. We prefer not to bump old threads here...I know I've seen the mods say why in the past but I can't remember....something along the lines of people can get confused and reply to insigificant posts. I mean c'mon, this thread is 3 years old...alot of the people who posted in it don't even come here anymore.

This logic is flawed also. So once a topic has been discussed, it should never be brought up again? Because one, it's been in an old thread and you don't want to bump an old thread and two, people flame you if you ask a question/talk about something that's been talked about in the past.

So let me get this straight... if you're a new registered user that hasn't read the site before, you better get your Bachelor's degree in neo-geo.com forums and know every topic and thread that's been discussed ever and steer clear of such things?

Sorry if I sound like a prick, but the logic just doesn't add up to me. I'm all for forum etiquette and I can see how people may be annoyed by an ancient thread.... So my question is how should a person do it right? I guess you can't please all people... but what are the opinions of the people/admins and why?