CO-vid19 Tests + For Rand Paul

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Captain Picard would know.

giphy.gif

Can you translate this to Star Wars for me?

Marek

Banned
Does it get exhausting typing libtardtarian so often?

No, I added it to the dictionary so now libtardtarian is actually the default auto fill/correct.

I won't bother to quote the rest of your case for austerity bit.

The idea is that you manage to put people back to work with jobs that actually pay. Wrench education away from the evangelicals and libtardtarians. Fix the opiate situation by putting the sacklers out of business and reducing oxycontin production by 90% or more.

I could go on, but there's a bunch of humanistic ways to reduce dependence on government as opposed to the right wing plan of "get them to embrace fascism, gut the legal system forever, let them all die for being stupid and poor once their votes are no longer needed."

lithy

20 Year Member
No, I added it to the dictionary so now libtardtarian is actually the default auto fill/correct.

I won't bother to quote the rest of your case for austerity bit.

The idea is that you manage to put people back to work with jobs that actually pay. Wrench education away from the evangelicals and libtardtarians. Fix the opiate situation by putting the sacklers out of business and reducing oxycontin production by 90% or more.

I could go on, but there's a bunch of humanistic ways to reduce dependence on government as opposed to the right wing plan of "get them to embrace fascism, gut the legal system forever, let them all die for being stupid and poor once their votes are no longer needed."

So, the plan is to get government to fix it, when the two problems you just listed (education and drug policy) are basically government-created problems already.

Good luck with that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
There aren’t even any real libertarians in Congress, are there?

Excuse me, libtardarians :keke:

lithy

20 Year Member
There aren’t even any real libertarians in Congress, are there?

Excuse me, libtardarians :keke:

Not party affiliated, LP can hardly get a dog catcher elected of course. You'll get lots of descriptions of Rand, Amash, that other guy, as being libertarian leaning Republicans. Rand is a bit of an odd duck, he does the typical obstinant stuff like his dad, pushing the amendment is classic Paul strategy stuff, get people on record for a vote that you know won't pass. Then at other times he comes across very stooge-y for Trump. He does still have a leadership position in the Senate right? I'm too lazy to look right now.

Marek

Banned
So, the plan is to get government to fix it, when the two problems you just listed (education and drug policy) are basically government-created problems already.

Good luck with that.

I appreciate the well wishing. Im going to vote for people who do things that push the needle in the right direction as opposed to throwing it away on a 3rd party (local elections not included in that).

Go ahead libtardtarian, tell me more about how compulsory education impinges on our freedom.

lithy

20 Year Member
I appreciate the well wishing. Im going to vote for people who do things that push the needle in the right direction as opposed to throwing it away on a 3rd party (local elections not included in that).

Go ahead libtardtarian, tell me more about how compulsory education impinges on our freedom.

Not only does it impinge on your freedom, it directly hurts the most those it purports to help, but nothing there we haven't already been through.

The more important thing, is that votes are never thrown away.

You even admit you want to move the needle, you don't support the current iteration of the Democratic party as is, you want to vote for Bernie or AOC or whatever fashionable progressive there is in the next voting cycle. Problem is Bernie won't get the nomination and the only concession Biden will make is a woman for VP, nothing coming on policy other than lip service for progressives.

You want real change? If you think enough people see it your way, vote for a 3rd party that more closely aligns with your actual beliefs. The party will gain traction if all of those people who are currently choosing to 'not throw their votes away' actually go ahead and vote for them.

Or if the party sees that they'll never win another major election until they bring that faction under the tent, then the party will have to shift. Until then they know that when push comes to shove, Poppy will suck nuts and vote for Biden, mission accomplished.

You're voting for the lesser of two evils and living in fear of the greater. Just what the DNC wants, just listen to some complaining every 4 years that their candidate isn't progressive enough, then put the party machinery to work for the establishment candidate and tell voters the only thing they need to worry about is defeating Trump. Not policy, no, never.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
You want real change? If you think enough people see it your way, vote for a 3rd party that more closely aligns with your actual beliefs. The party will gain traction if all of those people who are currently choosing to 'not throw their votes away' actually go ahead and vote for them.

Or if the party sees that they'll never win another major election until they bring that faction under the tent, then the party will have to shift. Until then they know that when push comes to shove, Poppy will suck nuts and vote for Biden, mission accomplished.

You're voting for the lesser of two evils and living in fear of the greater. Just what the DNC wants, just listen to some complaining every 4 years that their candidate isn't progressive enough, then put the party machinery to work for the establishment candidate and tell voters the only thing they need to worry about is defeating Trump. Not policy, no, never.

I used to agree with this, and gladly voted Libertarian in federal elections. My assumption was that both the Dems and GOP would generally wallow in inertia and apathy at the national level. So, I'd vote for more concrete policy at a state and local level, and hope to give the L team a break nationally.

This changed dramatically since 2016.

1. The two major parties loudly shit the bed in 2016. Both nominated geriatric plutocrats with no vision or policy goals. Yet, the Libertarian share of the vote was barely 4%.
2. The GOP imploded. They sold out their core message - free trade, fiscal responsibility, moral leadership - in deference to a bloviating conman.
3. We supposedly had non-representative, process-oriented systems to stop a single faction from running away with the government. They all failed in turn.

So my strategy is no longer "vote for change". It's "vote to keep Rick Perry away from the fucking nuclear arsenal." Or maybe "vote for someone who will read the goddamn briefings." We need day-to-day stability while we fix these systemic problems. As we're seeing right now, a lack of leadership - or a malicious or spiteful leadership - is dangerous.

Marek

Banned
Exactly norton.

2016 is when people hiding behind being a "libertarian" got their motivations rightly questioned.

I think lithy is kind of like a philosophy professor that had abandonned reality in favor of platonic ideals and -isms.

Saying compulsory education is more harmful to society than the alternative, despite having lived in the very state that gave us the scopes monkey trials, that seeks at every fucking juncture to shoehorn evangelism into public education, that segregates schools to this day, etc

You would really just leave education up to the Christian theocratic fascists because muh libtardtarianism?

Fuck off with that shit.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Wait a second, did Lithy totally pass up the opportunity to knock mass incarceration?

That is like laying off a 3-1 pitch down the middle....

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Fish has spoken, lithy.

Maybe in about 400 years we can translate his posts and start a religion about it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Not only does it impinge on your freedom, it directly hurts the most those it purports to help, but nothing there we haven't already been through.

The more important thing, is that votes are never thrown away.

You even admit you want to move the needle, you don't support the current iteration of the Democratic party as is, you want to vote for Bernie or AOC or whatever fashionable progressive there is in the next voting cycle. Problem is Bernie won't get the nomination and the only concession Biden will make is a woman for VP, nothing coming on policy other than lip service for progressives.

Can we split the GOP first, by getting the rational republicans an option so they don't have to just take whatever Fox and Friends tells them?

The situation you are presenting is entirely losing for anyone who wants freedom from religion, freedom from pork barreling for the profit of racists and homophobes who hijacked a party, freedom from the abrogation of our 4th amendment rights. a 25% Dem1, 25% Dem2, 50% Rep split would just be a win for those who have given us the Patriot Act, the war on drugs, masterpiece cakeshop, Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, and idk, letting a known member of Vitezi Rend, the Hungarian Nazi party, Sebastian Gorka, into the white house.

I am voting for Biden because I don't think America is ready for a third party until they fix the republican party and bring it back into rational conservatism, and away from medieval social ideologies like eugenics, sexual facism, crypto monarchism. I'm still voting for the candidate of my choice, even if it's not my favorite; just like I don't bet on the Redskins to make the superbowl at the beginning of the season because probability matters.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Can we split the GOP first, by getting the rational republicans an option so they don't have to just take whatever Fox and Friends tells them?

The situation you are presenting is entirely losing for anyone who wants freedom from religion, freedom from pork barreling for the profit of racists and homophobes who hijacked a party, freedom from the abrogation of our 4th amendment rights. a 25% Dem1, 25% Dem2, 50% Rep split would just be a win for those who have given us the Patriot Act, the war on drugs, masterpiece cakeshop, Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, and idk, letting a known member of Vitezi Rend, the Hungarian Nazi party, Sebastian Gorka, into the white house.

I am voting for Biden because I don't think America is ready for a third party until they fix the republican party and bring it back into rational conservatism, and away from medieval social ideologies like eugenics, sexual facism, crypto monarchism. I'm still voting for the candidate of my choice, even if it's not my favorite; just like I don't bet on the Redskins to make the superbowl at the beginning of the season because probability matters.

Libertarians just don't get the big picture.

Big lithy fan here but it just doesn't work out. Look at Somalia for a Libertarian paradise.

lithy

20 Year Member
Saying compulsory education is more harmful to society than the alternative, despite having lived in the very state that gave us the scopes monkey trials, that seeks at every fucking juncture to shoehorn evangelism into public education, that segregates schools to this day, etc

You would really just leave education up to the Christian theocratic fascists because muh libtardtarianism?

Somehow you lay out all the dots and then fail to connect them.

You are quite literally complaining about problems with public education. A compulsory, singular, public education will always be an exercise in politics as are all single solution government programs.

How about voluntary associations where the only people in a school run by 'Christian theocratic fascists' are the ones that choose to be there?

This suggests that only Democrats have disagreement among their ranks. Both parties consolidate support because of the fear that 'the other guys' will win.

Big lithy fan here but it just doesn't work out. Look at Somalia for a Libertarian paradise.

Go ahead and elaborate on this thought if you would really like a serious reply from me. Or at least just do a quick Google to see that you're just parroting a really, really stupid meme that is about as false as saying that Bernie voters want a return to 1930s Germany.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This suggests that only Democrats have disagreement among their ranks. Both parties consolidate support because of the fear that 'the other guys' will win.

The GOP has been excellent at closing ranks when they need something done, and this is something that the Democrats have struggled with, even before the emergence of the Liberal Tea Party (AOC, Tlaib, and Omar), which I'll just call the Lemonade Party, or Lemon Party for short. Too many weird special interests that only appeal to small pockets of voters, who are being told to vote for the issues they hold dear, and also, to hold the lemon party's issues dear or be called a bigot. If the Dems can force out the extremists for their ranks, and tailor their message to a moderate segment of the vote, I would be more interested in their koolaid.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The GOP has been excellent at closing ranks when they need something done, and this is something that the Democrats have struggled with, even before the emergence of the Liberal Tea Party (AOC, Tlaib, and Omar), which I'll just call the Lemonade Party, or Lemon Party for short. Too many weird special interests that only appeal to small pockets of voters, who are being told to vote for the issues they hold dear, and also, to hold the lemon party's issues dear or be called a bigot. If the Dems can force out the extremists for their ranks, and tailor their message to a moderate segment of the vote, I would be more interested in their koolaid.

The early debates with everyone jostling to be the most super woke were excruciating to watch. Banning private health insurance, decriminalizing illegal immigration and token diversity pledges are not what struggling Americans need or want to hear.

In retrospect, supporting Sanders was apparently a mistake. Say what you want about Warren but at least she didn't bring a knife to a gun fight.