Clean Mod Work Thread!

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
That, and you have to use a second PSU just for the hard drive which can be a PITA.

For the cleanest look, I configure slim PS2's to interface with a 2.5'' IDE Hard-Disk. 2.5'' IDE drives are self powered through the 44 pin IDE cable. It's just a matter of tapping into the 5v rail on the PS2 and putting that through the corresponding pins of the IDE interface to power the drive. Nevertheless, looking at a bare drive resting on top of a Slim PS2 isn't attractive. The phat is the best way to go for HDD support. If you're really adamant in coupling a hdd with a slim PS2, I recommend picking up an aftermarket slim PS2 case that has a bay for a hard-disk. Though, this still slightly defeats the purpose of owning a "slim" PS2.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hey Voultar, can you link me to that adhesive you use?

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
switchesandall_zps66186ca7.jpg

Modded a 9" portable CRT for S video today. cause I love me some nice looking CRT with Streets or rage :)

Comparisons_zps4bfcb5f4.jpg

instructions over here: http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5471.msg37339#msg37339

-Segasonicfan

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Wel, not a very hard mod, but I think it turned out well. Big thanks to Karou, who supplied me (for free) with the microswitches to fix this stick:

Regards.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
RGB modded a white PCE that I recently received.

It and the TG16 are the most involved to mod since you (typically) replace the RF modulator with a mini din connector. Then you have to run all signals there to it. Where as with the Core/Duo/SuperCD2 and SuperGrafx you just replace the stock 5 pin din with a modded 8 pin din and run the missing Red, green and blue signals to it. Lot less wire clutter in those installs.

20140906_021707.jpg

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Good lord, I'm drooling over these mods... Love the way your work looks, Broken! :D

Voultar

Hey Voultar, can you link me to that adhesive you use?

Sorry for the very belated response, Xian Xi. I was picking the glue up in Japan, and my supplier is down, I'm having trouble sourcing any of it now.

I'll let you know when I find some again.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
i doubt this will qualify as anything remotely approaching clean work, but it was my second ever effort, right after the very same sort of job on my GENESIS...

NEO-GEOAESMODDEDJOHN9-14-144_zps2354df08.jpg

NEO-GEOAESMODDEDJOHN9-14-145_zpsf6bd07a9.jpg

NEO-GEOAESMODDEDJOHN9-14-146_zpse4338839.jpg

NEO-GEOAESMODDEDJOHN9-14-147_zps18f90741.jpg

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
i doubt this will qualify as anything remotely approaching clean work, but it was my second ever effort, right after the very same sort of job on my GENESIS...

NEO-GEOAESMODDEDJOHN9-14-144_zps2354df08.jpg

NEO-GEOAESMODDEDJOHN9-14-145_zpsf6bd07a9.jpg

NEO-GEOAESMODDEDJOHN9-14-146_zpse4338839.jpg

NEO-GEOAESMODDEDJOHN9-14-147_zps18f90741.jpg

Just some advice when it comes to doing the audio out mods, try using panel mounted RCA or phono jacks. They will give you a much cleaner look and are actually easier than this to install. Pretty much you just need a drill, the right sized bit (or a unibit/stepper bit), and the RCA jacks. You can get RCA jacks from here, here, here, or here.

You pretty much just drill the hole and screw these things into the shell with a nut. From there its just solder ground and the audio channels to the right place. If you do ever go this route I recommend at the very least S-Video modding the AES as that will get you a bit sharper of a picture if your TV has S-Video. The S-Video port installs in a similar way to the RCA jacks and just needs a bigger drill bit to make the hole. The ports can also be found on the above sites.

As for the step drill bit home depot sells those (or any hardware store) however expect to pay $30-$45 for one. It is a very handy tool to have around though if you don't wan't to keep a full set of bits for every occasion.

Last edited:

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Just some advice when it comes to doing the audio out mods, try using panel mounted RCA or phono jacks. They will give you a much cleaner look and are actually easier than this to install. Pretty much you just need a drill, the right sized bit (or a unibit/stepper bit), and the RCA jacks. You can get RCA jacks from here, here, here, or here.

You pretty much just drill the hole and screw these things into the shell with a nut. From there its just solder ground and the audio channels to the right place. If you do ever go this route I recommend at the very least S-Video modding the AES as that will get you a bit sharper of a picture if your TV has S-Video. The S-Video port installs in a similar way to the RCA jacks and just needs a bigger drill bit to make the hole. The ports can also be found on the above sites.

As for the step drill bit home depot sells those (or any hardware store) however expect to pay $30-$45 for one. It is a very handy tool to have around though if you don't wan't to keep a full set of bits for every occasion.

Agree, but (in my case) i suck drilling holes on plastic, IDK, but it's always a mess lol
i just pick my old solder iron, and make the holes that way xD

@Master Tasuke
Nice mod, if this is your second, im impressed (my first mods where a mess lol)

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Agree, but (in my case) i suck drilling holes on plastic, IDK, but it's always a mess lol
i just pick my old solder iron, and make the holes that way xD

@Master Tasuke
Nice mod, if this is your second, im impressed (my first mods where a mess lol)

Try the stepper bit I linked. It is seriously extremely easy to do. Basically mark where the holes will go, use a small drill bit to make the pilot hole, then use the stepper bit. You pretty much just go until its the size you need, it makes drilling holes extremely easy to do.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Try the stepper bit I linked. It is seriously extremely easy to do. Basically mark where the holes will go, use a small drill bit to make the pilot hole, then use the stepper bit. You pretty much just go until its the size you need, it makes drilling holes extremely easy to do.

~Thanks for the hint
something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3pc-Quick-c...112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c792c020

i TRIED with my Black & Decker (regular drill) as you can imagine... Messy!

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
~Thanks for the hint
something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3pc-Quick-c...112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c792c020

i TRIED with my Black & Decker (regular drill) as you can imagine... Messy!

Yes those should work. Basically start with a fairly small normal drill bit to get the initial hole then use the step bit. The only downside to the stepper bit is you do not have as much length to work with so keep that in mind when drilling through thicker plastic and or metal. For jack installations on most game consoles though it will work just fine.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got that set, it's cheap but gets the job done. Sometimes the larger holes (svideo jacks, din connectors) aren't as clean as I would like, but I usually wet sand them just a touch with fine grit sandpaper and they come out boss. For regular RCA jack holes it's fine.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Useful hints, thanks guys.

I tried drilling on an aluminum case... Oh boy... That was messy.

I have a dremel set ... Never got the hang of it.

Lot

Thanks guys

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
i just use an X-ACTO to get my holes. probably never could get it remotely as clean as with that stepper bit method, though...

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
i just use an X-ACTO to get my holes. probably never could get it remotely as clean as with that stepper bit method, though...

Give it a try, you will be amazed how much easier it is. Even though I have the right sized drill bits I still use my stepper bit from time to time.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Give it a try, you will be amazed how much easier it is. Even though I have the right sized drill bits I still use my stepper bit from time to time.
Agreed. I got a cheapo stepper bit set from Harbor Freight several years ago. Been working great since then.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
Some beast work up in here!

This is from a while back, but some of you may get a chuckle out of it:

n64k_nes_test2.jpg

n64k_nes_jacks.jpg

n64k_nes_open.jpg

-ud

Voultar

Here's a little something I whipped up today.

Sega Saturn Model 2 VA8 SMD Region-Free BIOS install:

5wasnk.jpg

2582vk2.jpg

9kwk8m.jpg

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
RGB modded a Twin Famicom last night. Re-purposed the external RF out into an AV out. Made for a super clean install that you wouldn't even know was there if it weren't for the PPU missing on the top of the board.

IMG_5238_zps76047356.jpg

IMG_5243_zps87c7e95f.jpg

IMG_5244_zps364314bd.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Eh, I'm not sure my work is good enough for this thread, but I wanted to post it somewhere and it's certainly better than the garbage in the messy mod work thread.

I wanted a svideo PCE for use with my Commodore monitor and didn't want to mod my system, so I dug into the parts pile and did some repairs and made one good Core with svideo. I used a headphone jacks instead of RCA jacks for audio since that looks much cleaner IMO, but it's kind of irrelevant since I mostly use it in an IFU anyway.

attachment.php

I kinda hate the location, but if you're gonna put it in a IFU whatchagonnado?

attachment.php