Change the Description of General Discussion

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Changing the description of General Discussion would probably result in a lot less non-Neo-Geo threads getting started there.

Tak's sticky in GD ought to help cut down on the number of these "unrelated topics", but part of the reason why people keep posting them is because the General Discussion forum description is so vague. (And I should know, cause I'm a LVL 60 Language Teacher)

Right now it says:

"Our universal neo forum made available for related topics."

OK, please open your notebooks and look at the blackboard.

"Universal" sounds like "any topics are acceptable". My dictionary defines "universal" as "affecting or relating to every part of the world".

"neo" is missing the "-Geo", and without a capital it sounds less like the console and more like the prefix for "new".

Without an agent or object "made available for" is almost empty semantics. Who is making what available for whom? And why?!

The antecedent "related" is missing its precedent. If "related" refers to "neo", then the word order is incorrect.

No wonder the poor n3wbs get all confused.

Instead of the description we've got now I suggest something along the lines of:

A forum for topics and discussion related to the Neo-Geo video game system.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Actually it's not that confusing - just ask yourself: Does this new topic have any relevance to Neo Geo, SNK, their games or hardware, or has it at least a marginal on-topic reference? If so, start your thread, if not, choose an appropriate sub-forum, that's it.

People should read more/lurk before posting new threads anyway, this way they'd soon find out that General Discussion is for Neo-talk and related topics, which includes discussion about Neo Geo consoles, MVS machines, homecart/MVS games and all Neo-related non-SNK-hardware/software topics.

For example, it's perfectly acceptable to start a thread about an Arcade Museum with Neo/SNK stuff in it while also talking about other systems in that museum, but threads about game rooms, collecting/importing DC hardware and games or non-SNK/non-Neo/MVS arcade hardware are not.

I must have moved DOZENS of threads to other forums from General during the last two months alone, it's really getting annoying, newbie or not. One may be new-to-Neo but surely he or she is able to read? At least I hope so...

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Actually it's not that confusing - just ask yourself: Does this new topic have any relevance to Neo Geo, SNK, their games or hardware, or has it at least a marginal on-topic reference? If so, start your thread, if not, choose an appropriate sub-forum, that's it.

People should read more/lurk before posting new threads anyway, this way they'd soon find out that General Discussion is for Neo-talk and related topics, which includes discussion about Neo Geo consoles, MVS machines, homecart/MVS games and all Neo-related non-SNK-hardware/software topics.

For example, it's perfectly acceptable to start a thread about an Arcade Museum with Neo/SNK stuff in it while also talking about other systems in that museum, but threads about game rooms, collecting/importing DC hardware and games or non-SNK/non-Neo/MVS arcade hardware are not.

I must have moved DOZENS of threads to other forums from General during the last two months alone, it's really getting annoying, newbie or not. One may be new-to-Neo but surely he or she is able to read? At least I hope so...

I totally agree with all your points, and I think your sticky in GD was a good idea, but why not also change the forum description to make it more clear?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, perhaps we should give it a try. Then again, the description is the same since day one but we never had a problem with so many off-topic threads before.

aria

Former Moderator
I like changing it a bit. Let's give it a whirl. I might also expand to include "SNK" so that ports can also be included (and witch-touching).

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
"Witch-touching" is easily my favorite genre of gaming.

It's also my favorite in these related fields.

Movies
Music
Hookers
Massage
Coloring books
Scratch and sniff stickers
Cars
Over the counter drugs
Weapons

And much, much more.