Chains broken or forged anew?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
If whatever you collect (video games, toys, comic books, records, etc.) were utterly destroyed or lost (fire, flood, theft, etc.) would you just start over again or say, "Fook it.", and move on?

I think I'd say to hell with it for awhile, but, then start up again, although with more restraint. M is nothing without little plastic dollies. 😉

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
My collection of crap represents not just itself but where I was in life when I bought it. Also it was mostly all cheap at one point. Because of these two factors I’d never attempt to rebuild my crap collection. If I took an insurance check and bought it all again it would be profoundly fake as well as profoundly expensive.

I’d have an MVS of some kind, sure, but I wouldn’t replace my Saturn stuff. I wouldn’t replace my LD collection at all, even though it’s second only to my record collection. I can’t go back and buy that stuff for the first time again. If I lose the copy of Flashback 2012 I bought new in the 90s from a guy I saw at every con…I can’t just go on YAJ at get another copy. I could, sure, probably for %90 less than I paid, but it would be max artificial. If I lose a comic book that’s worth $100 I can get it back for $100…but it won’t have that sketch in it that the creator drew for me when I found him at a show where I was his only fan. If I lose Panzer Dragoon Saga I will not pay $1000 to replace it no matter how big the insurance check is. It would make me just another collectard. All the models I’ve built…*I* built them, you can’t just go buy 100 models than you built. It takes a lifetime.

I’d spend it all on rebuilding the house with a dedicated home theater and recording studios and some kind of low powered sports car like Caterham Seven. The only thing I would actively attempt to recreate would be the movie library but it would be all current gen 5” discs.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If I lost everything to fire I'd claim on my contents insurance and go on a holiday.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
“Judge Aaron Satie” said:
With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

What were we talking about?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
We were talking about chain combos in fighting games and how trying to tack on just one more hit can become an all consuming obsession.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
My collection of crap represents not just itself but where I was in life when I bought it. Also it was mostly all cheap at one point. Because of these two factors I’d never attempt to rebuild my crap collection. If I took an insurance check and bought it all again it would be profoundly fake as well as profoundly expensive.

This is how I feel about my vinyl collection. I bought most of it cheap (at or below retail) over the last 10-15 years. I didn't collect much in 2019/2020 and when I logged into discogs.com this year, prices are bat shit insane. Records I got for literally 2 or 3 dollars selling for upwards of 50 bucks, records I bought new for 10-15 selling over 100. Even with unlimited money many of them would still likely never be found again, and it just wouldn't be the same. As happy as I am that my collection gained value, it actually aggravates me now when I misplace a record because it feels like a $50 mistake instead of a $5 one.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I would build another record collection if I lost the one I’ve been building since the 70s, but it wouldn’t be the same. I’d certainly not re-buy about 100-200 12” singles for example, there is no point now even if they were still easy to get. I don’t DJ house/hip hop with vinyl anymore. I’d skip a few things that sucked and buy way more opera, classical, experimental.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I'm sure I would replace some percentage of them, but yea, a lot of the hip hop and singles would probably get skipped except the stuff really close to my heart. I don't see myself DJing many hip hop sets anymore ever, and I'm pretty well done with the bar scene. My personal rig at home is vinyl, and I used to have another pair of 1200s for the club that I sold to a good friend when I pretty much gave up the bar scene. If I were to gig out in public again I would just complete my 2nd set of equipment for digital shit (I already have a CDJ and an extra mixer I'm quite fond of, one more CDJ and I'm good to go there).

Hip hop aside, the vast majority of the records I treasure are UK imports which also complicates the whole situation. Trying to replace them at any reasonable cost would basically require setting up a proxy shipper to combine orders (which I've considered doing anyway now since postage is so expensive).

I carry a metric fuckton of homeowners insurance (and did renters insurance too before I owned), I hope you guys do the same.

Aside from records, what am I replacing in a theoretical total loss...

Console games: nope... everdrives and optical emulators it is
Arcade games: Maybe a NAOMI and an MVS, and a Ringedge or X3. All the JAMMA stuff, who knows.
Cabs: I'm probably not trying to restore anymore CRT candies so maybe 2 HD cabs instead, one to leave a monitor in each orientation, and I'd be good.
Skateboards: this would really suck ass... but I have about a dozen boards I care about, and I would maybe replace 6. All of them are very different types of boards (shape, trucks, wheels) and a few of the trucks are custom CNC jobs. Several of the boards were also pressed by fellow professional racers in our garages, so there's no replacing that shit.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
When I’m on the radio doing really adventurous sets, chill out ambient sound collage kind of stuff I still use vinyl as well as CD and hardware. When it’s continuous mix though, usually house and techno…I got hooked on Traktor and I’m never going back. The POWER! Also not having to spend a ton of money for a single track just to get it on a 12” is nice, being able to play shit you just made that day is another massive advantage. I have a Kontrol S4 and a case that it all fits into with the laptop, it’s profoundly great. Four decks, a mixer, a sampler, FX, and every track I have in iTunes all on one box.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Traktor is the shit, when I did use a laptop to DJ I much preferred it over serato. The control vinyl feels much tighter (giggity) and responsive on traktor.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’ve never even used control disks with Traktor, never missed it either.