Castlevania SotN Saturn ultimate translation/hack completed.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The site reporting it is in daspidanya speak but just use the goog translate. Already patched my ISO and it works beautifully. Tested only on my MiSTer because I didnt feel like pulling my satty out of the entertainment center.

This includes the 100% english translation (items, familiars, menus, etc) and the 4mb expansion cart hack which lessens load times, as well as providing a direct access command for the map, which is up and start.

re: the map - I know most of us know but just in case - the Saturn version of the game didnt have a direct button press for the map like the PSX version. You had to pause and then select the map, I believe. It was a needlessly long process to do that and quite annoying.

Now we can play all 3 scenarios with fast(er) loading and in english. Tight.

Now these dudes need to get busy with Princess Crown already.

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
Thanks dude, was about to check on this myself and you just saved me some time looking for it. Good shit. 🫡

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
This includes the 100% english translation (items, familiars, menus, etc) and the 4mb expansion cart hack which lessens load times, as well as providing a direct access command for the map, which is up and start.

re: the map - I know most of us know but just in case - the Saturn version of the game didnt have a direct button press for the map like the PSX version. You had to pause and then select the map, I believe. It was a needlessly long process to do that and quite annoying.
probably one of the worst parts about the game, it takes forever for that map to pop up.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The map thing killed this game for me. I still finished up, but yeah, what a damn chore.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I watched the awspergon video about this, explaining several times that because it's in English you can now read it omg

Im honestly not sure here, do you mean awbacon? He already has a vid on this? lol

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Gotta get in front of that algorithm.

That said, one of the beauties of game preservation is being able to right a lot of the old wrongs of the game business: games not being brought over, fucked up/janky ports, etc. I may have to fire this up. Haven't played SotN in many years.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've tried getting into SOTN twice in the past year after having not played it in over 20 years. Just couldn't hold my attention.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
One thing I can't figure out if they changed. Didn't the Saturn have an inability to do transparency? Some of the stuff in this game looks pretty transparent.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I've tried getting into SOTN twice in the past year after having not played it in over 20 years. Just couldn't hold my attention.
I know I'll get hate but the genre has moved forward and gotten better. I love sotn but it's harder to play after hollow knight.

Aria of Sorrow though never gets old for me for some reason...

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
One thing I can't figure out if they changed. Didn't the Saturn have an inability to do transparency? Some of the stuff in this game looks pretty transparent.
they used a dithering effect or overlay for transparancy in the unhacked game. another good example is alien trilogy if you compare its transparancy on psone with the saturn version. there's probably some kissless nerd with a smelly taint who can explain it to us.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Right but what I'm trying to figure out is if they somehow figured that out because this doesn't look like the standard "checkerboard" effect.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
they used a dithering effect or overlay for transparancy in the unhacked game. another good example is alien trilogy if you compare its transparancy on psone with the saturn version. there's probably some kissless nerd with a smelly taint who can explain it to us.

Sega managed to do ‘real’ transparency in Burning Rangers so it’s not impossible to do, just a ball ache and most developers didn’t bother.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Saturn version was still borderline unplayable even with the RAM patch. I once burned it for a friend and told him to play the PSX version instead.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Saturn version was still borderline unplayable even with the RAM patch. I once burned it for a friend and told him to play the PSX version instead.
C'mon man, you don't get cred with the Youtube retronoobs if you're actually playing a regularly released domestic version on the gasp Playstation

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
All this work for a game that's already NOT broken on the PSX. Seems like a lot of nothing when you can play a better version of the game like ... yesterday.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
the additional areas aren't worth it and they feel out of place. the "third hand" you can use for items is pretty useful though.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
the additional areas aren't worth it and they feel out of place. the "third hand" you can use for items is pretty useful though.
Noo awbacon said it was the definitive version to play - however we know his fucking awful taste in rare expensive games so eh

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
i own the saturn version and would still rather play the playstation one.
he is a fool.