'Castlevania' series title dropped in Japan

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
YES

series title back to the original (and correct) 'Akumajou Dracula' as far as the original market goes.

BY POPULAR DEMAND!

Idiotic producer IGA (aka Igarashi Kouji) was basically forced to switch back the series title to the original one after he decided to adopt the uber-lame western bastardized and nonsensical title 'Castlevania' worldwide, thus including Japan.

Thanks God,

IGA, you're a moron.

Now waiting for:

Sougetsu no Juujika

(and no, the upcoming 3D title on PS2 and XBox, aka Yami no Noiin, is no way to be looked forward to...)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
*hi five* YES, Iga's made one of my favorite series into an action-RPG for too long, glad to see another Iga hater on board.

What does Akumajou mean, anyways?

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Maybe they switched it back because "Castlevania" is quite difficult to say to a native Japanese speaker...

Kasutorubenia? :)

Edit to add: LoneSage, "Akumajou" means something like "demonic castle"

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thanks Zen, I've wondered about that for years.

Definitely sounds more badass than Castlevania..

Evil Demon Castle Dracula is the literal translation I believe.

I actually prefer Castlevania. Has a less silly ring to it, surprisingly.

But I see no reason that should be the Japanese title.

Now if only they'd breing the Japanese titles for the individual games here.

look them up. The Japanese games tend to have MUCH cooler names.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
Zenimus said:
Maybe they switched it back because "Castlevania" is quite difficult to say to a native Japanese speaker...

Kasutorubenia? :)

Edit to add: LoneSage, "Akumajou" means something like "demonic castle"
It would sound like "Kyassurubania" in Japanese (if I remember seeing the title correctly).

The katana for it are キャッスルヴァニア, I believe.

Robi15

20 Year Member
For japanese Akumajou Dracula has been the name from the beginning. Stupid to change. For western people Castlevania is the name. Stupid to change. I prefere Castlevania. Akumajou = demon castle. Yes castlevania is more problematic to say and type in japanese. Akumajou Dracula/Castlevania should ALLWAYS be 2d!!!!
No idea forceporting this game into 3d, for all the 3d morons allover the world. "2d, waaaaa, it's so old technique, waaaaaa, you can't run around like in HALO, waaaaaa, 2d looks so baad..waaaa..." <-- morons.. SOTN =best Akumajou Dracula/Castlevania ever yet. Face it 3d people. Some games just work better in 2d.

sQuareh4t3r

Robi15 said:
Akumajou Dracula/Castlevania should ALLWAYS be 2d!!!!
No idea forceporting this game into 3d, for all the 3d morons allover the world. "2d, waaaaa, it's so old technique, waaaaaa, you can't run around like in HALO, waaaaaa, 2d looks so baad..waaaa..." <-- morons..
This shit has so been quoted.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
sQuareh4t3r said:
It would sound like "Kyassurubania" in Japanese (if I remember seeing the title correctly).

The katana for it are ?????????, I believe.

Hey, I didn't know these forums supported Japanese text. How convenient!

Yeah, I can see how it would be annoying to pronounce when it uses the exotic sounding "??" (va) syllable. Most loan words in Japanese switch V's with B's.

.. edit... err, it didn't show up?? Weird... maybe I'm doing something wrong. :kekeke:

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
actually for me the name "Akumajo Dracula" and "Castlevania" is a tie.

Katakana: FOB English

Last edited:

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Who cares what it's called, so long as the game doesn't suck?

They could make SotN 2 and call it 'Mary-Kate and Ashley's Magic Carpet Ride' and I'd still buy it the day it comes out.

Actually, I'd buy an Olsen twins game too.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I like the cool names like "Castlevania: Venereal Benevolence" or "Castlevania: Sonata of Sodomy" or "Castlevania: Statuatory Molestation".

those titles sound the best. They just come up with bullshit for the sub title.

ST-V

buttasuperb said:
Who cares what the name of the game is?

If it's good, it's good no matter what the name on the box/title screen says.

Read this post carefully Shito, and stop crying.

sQuareh4t3r

Zenimus said:
Yeah, I can see how it would be annoying to pronounce when it uses the exotic sounding ヴァ (va) syllable. Most loan words in Japanese switch V's with B's.
There is no "va" sound in the spoken language; that whole group of characters is used only in written Japanese. Hence, why it would sound like "Kyassurubania" instead of "Kyassuruvania".

But these are the kinds of bullshit arguments over semantics that get Shito all hot and bothered behind his keyboard like he's the maestro of some sick digital Nipponphile symphony, so I'm going to stop right here.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
sQuareh4t3r said:
There is no "va" sound in the spoken language; that whole group of characters is used only in written Japanese. Hence, why it would sound like "Kyassurubania" instead of "Kyassuruvania".

But these are the kinds of bullshit arguments over semantics that get Shito all hot and bothered behind his keyboard like he's the maestro of some sick digital Nipponphile symphony, so I'm going to stop right here.

lol you're so cool pretending to know shit you clarely don't know. :kekeke:

the 'VA' sound has been 'implemented' in the katakana -let's say- 'set' by using a nigorized U followed by a small vowel, that just FYI btw.

Neverless, the WHOLE Akudora series has just been raped in the western market and that's a fact. That's not only a matter of titles, but of storylines, plots and continuity overall. LOL Trevor Belmont (real name: Ralph C. Belmondo) marrying a MAN (poor Sypha Velnandes changed sex for the US audience) in the end of Dracula III (real name: Akumajou Densetsu, it was a PREQUEL you know, but apparently western people can't get a newer release of a series without a pregressive numeration, huh? Samurai Spirits Zero/5 anyone? LoL).

Neverless, point of hte topic, Castlevania is gone for good in Japan. About time.

Can't wait for the DS title (Sougetsu no Juujika), and of course I can't wait for the upcoming chapter set in the 1999, with the Julius Belmondo, Alucard, Velnandes + who knows, all teaming up to seal Dracual in the eclypse! :)

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Ely13 said:
Who cares what it's called, so long as the game doesn't suck?

They could make SotN 2 and call it 'Mary-Kate and Ashley's Magic Carpet Ride' and I'd still buy it the day it comes out.

Actually, I'd buy an Olsen twins game too.

I already have the romz.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
'Castlevania' may not be the best game title ever, but I always found the name nice and catchy enough. I kinda dislike long titles/names, like the Japanese title for Last Blade 2, I mean, who the hell says the complete name when referring to a game like that, except perhaps for a fast-talking native Japanese speaker?

Hey man, let's play a round of Bakumatsu Rouman Dai Ni Maku Gekka no Kenshi Tsuki ni Saku Hana, Chiri Yuku Hana... ... ... nah, I'd rather play Evil Demon Castle Dracula..

heh, probably that is why you bastardize the name to 'Gekka 2' when talking about LB2... :kekeke: ;)

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I much prefer Akumajou Dracula to Castlevania, so I welcome the decision :)

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so
I'm turning Japanese
I really think so
Turning Japanese
I really think so

Robi15

20 Year Member
Castlevania as a name is classic. It was established back in 1986 just like the japanese title. Vania Castle sounds more like a puzzlegame does it? Ohwell who cares..it's so established. Then the theme of the games ( Dracula, Nosferatu, Vlad Tapes, Transylvanya) and so on are sooo european. :-) Deamon castle sounds baby/dorky too..hehe

Hungary~Transylvania~R95~harta.jpg

Last edited:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
This is some petulant little girl bullshit right here.

Everyone knows about your wacked-out Nihon Purist fetish Shito.
No one gives a fuck. Go back to rolling the neighborhood in your ice cream truck
with blackened windows.