Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Because I know that there's absolutely no difference of opinion about this series here at NG.com, I thought I'd post the new trailer:

And the two older trailers:

Also, there's a demo for it that comes with Mirror of Fate HD.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I'm sad Konami didn't budget for a Wii U version. :(

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'm sad Konami outsourced this series in the first place.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Shroom has so much love in him. Flowers grow wherever he walks.

EDIT:

I'm sad Konami didn't budget for a Wii U version. :(

/sigh....

Mags, you are a quality person. I can tell that by your posting method. So don't take it wrong when I say Nintendo loyalty is the absolute worst fucking thing for Nintendo. People need to stop giving them brand loyalty. It's the only way they'll force real change and get that shitass Satoru Iwata out of power.

And no, don't replace him with Miyamoto. His time is done, too.

That's right, I said it.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I'm sad Konami outsourced this series in the first place.

Me too, castlevania games used to be the only new games that actually got me excited.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Taiso are you getting a bit salty or is that just my imagination?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Shroom has so much love in him. Flowers grow wherever he walks.

EDIT:

/sigh....

Mags, you are a quality person. I can tell that by your posting method. So don't take it wrong when I say Nintendo loyalty is the absolute worst fucking thing for Nintendo. People need to stop giving them brand loyalty. It's the only way they'll force real change and get that shitass Satoru Iwata out of power.

And no, don't replace him with Miyamoto. His time is done, too.

That's right, I said it.

You got so much love in you bro

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
You got so much love in you bro

I have rage about a few things, I admit. I don't think I was ever as mad about anything in video games as I was about KOF XII, though.

Shroom fires salvos at everything. Which I happen to love, honestly. He and Popcorn Sutton are two people whose posts I always have to read.

And no, Shroom. Not salty at all, bro. You are, as I've said, one of my favorite posters. Just having some fun is all.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Dude, KOF XIII is half off on Steam today. Get it and let's rock.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I want this but I'm gonna wait a bit to get it, loved teh first one and haven't gotten the chance to play the 3DS/PSN game

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I loved the first game and thought it was a great reboot for the franchise. I hope this one lives up to that one.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's been long since I've played a 3D CV, what makes this one better than the prequels in your opinion?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It's been long since I've played a 3D CV, what makes this one better than the prequels in your opinion?

I'll give it an honest shot.

Lords of Shadow has a great combat system. Yes, it's derivative of games like God of War, but so what? It's just a genre now, like platformers or shooters. And contrary to what people say, it's not as blatant a rip off as you've heard.

The controls are, for the most part, smooth and responsive.

Fun platforming and interesting bonus challenges for trophies and power ups.

Gorgeous graphics and amazing soundtrack. The art direction is top notch.

Terrific voice acting, especially by Robert Carlyle and Patrick Stewart.

An interesting take on the Castlevania mythology. It is a brand new telling, and doesn't observe anything that's gone before except as a template for telling its own version. While it is true that Lords of Shadow has its own story that doesn't feel completely like a Castlevania game, it eventually grows on you as its own entity unless you're so stuck in the past that you refuse to give the game an objective look.

After seeing how they did with Mirror of Fate, I am thoroughly convinced that Mercurysteam understands what makes the IP special, what gives its heartbeat, because there is a LOT of that in Mirror of Fate. Knowing this, I believe Lords of Shadow 2 is going to be a great entry in the series.

The Ultimate edition of the first game is on Steam for $30 and runs at 60 FPS from what I understand. I'm really tempted to drop the cash on it and give another go. But if you don't even want to spend $30 on it, the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions are probably very cheap these days.

Last edited:

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
I thoroughly enjoyed Lords of Shadow and enjoyed Mirror of Fate on 3DS. I have bought it on PSN but have yet to play it. I have had a chance to play the demo of LoS2 though and I cannot wait for this game to come out.

O.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'll give it an honest shot.

Lords of Shadow has a great combat system. Yes, it's derivative of games like God of War, but so what? It's just a genre now, like platformers or shooters. And contrary to what people say, it's not as blatant a rip off as you've heard.

The controls are, for the most part, smooth and responsive.

Fun platforming and interesting bonus challenges for trophies and power ups.

Gorgeous graphics and amazing soundtrack. The art direction is top notch.

Terrific voice acting, especially by Robert Carlyle and Patrick Stewart.

An interesting take on the Castlevania mythology. It is a brand new telling, and doesn't observe anything that's gone before except as a template for telling its own version. While it is true that Lords of Shadow has its own story that doesn't feel completely like a Castlevania game, it eventually grows on you as its own entity unless you're so stuck in the past that you refuse to give the game an objective look.

After seeing how they did with Mirror of Fate, I am thoroughly convinced that Mercurysteam understands what makes the IP special, what gives its heartbeat, because there is a LOT of that in Mirror of Fate. Knowing this, I believe Lords of Shadow 2 is going to be a great entry in the series.

The Ultimate edition of the first game is on Steam for $30 and runs at 60 FPS from what I understand. I'm really tempted to drop the cash on it and give another go. But if you don't even want to spend $30 on it, the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions are probably very cheap these days.

Thanks for the lowdown, Taiso.

I guess I should forget about the "Castlevania" name and simply give the game a try then. The first 3D CVs on PS2 gave me nothing, nothing at all. DMC/GoW-style controls, dito gameplay, inverwoven with rather silly story elements. For me, CV means gothic spine-chiller platforming action, it's the equivalent to a Hammer Productions Dracula movie filmed in Technicolor while the newer CVs often feel like those new-style vampire movies/TV series with gay emo bloodsuckers and visual effects stolen from Japanese horror productions to me.

Well, I'll get me the first game for 360 and see how it goes from there.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Thanks for the lowdown, Taiso.

I guess I should forget about the "Castlevania" name and simply give the game a try then. The first 3D CVs on PS2 gave me nothing, nothing at all. DMC/GoW-style controls, dito gameplay, inverwoven with rather silly story elements. For me, CV means gothic spine-chiller platforming action, it's the equivalent to a Hammer Productions Dracula movie filmed in Technicolor while the newer CVs often feel like those new-style vampire movies/TV series with gay emo bloodsuckers and visual effects stolen from Japanese horror productions to me.

Well, I'll get me the first game for 360 and see how it goes from there.

I had to play Lords of Shadow for about 3 hours to really start to appreciate what was happening with it. Once I truly understood that this was not going to another misguided attempt by Konami, I let go of my expectations and just enjoyed it for what it was: a different take on the series.

Given how boring and unimportant Lament of Innocence was, how terrible Curse of Darkness was and what a disaster the N64 game was, I don't blame Konami for gambling with the 3D take.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Given how boring and unimportant Lament of Innocence was, how terrible Curse of Darkness was and what a disaster the N64 game was, I don't blame Konami for gambling with the 3D take.

What was wrong with Lament and Curse?

Lament certainly had growing pains, good story with bad voice acting, really needed a leveling system and more interesting levels. However the combat was very satisfying.

Many of Laments problems were fixed in Curse, the series was headed in the right direction 3D-wise. Shame IGA didn't get to make a follow up, I always felt Simons Quest needs a 3D remake.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What was wrong with Lament and Curse?
Everything?

Lament was fucking awful. I don't have time to list all the things that sucked about it, nor do you or anyone else have time to read such a list.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I played Lament to death and I don't know why. I couldn't slog through Curse of Darkness. Thoroughly unengaging, even after ten hours. In fact, I'd say games like Lament and Curse are perfect examples of why 3D Castlevania needed an overhaul. IGA just couldn't get it done, and it showed. The new iteration needed to be a fresh start, not weighed down by years of bad continuity and narrative that pretended to be faithful but drifted further and further away. Ironically, the tethers of the franchise's legacy were keeping it from going anywhere. Zelda is suffering the same problem right now.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
guys lemme just say that the origin of the VAMPIRE KILLER is so fucking eva

and i'm ok with that

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I played Lament to death and I don't know why. I couldn't slog through Curse of Darkness. Thoroughly unengaging, even after ten hours. In fact, I'd say games like Lament and Curse are perfect examples of why 3D Castlevania needed an overhaul. IGA just couldn't get it done, and it showed. The new iteration needed to be a fresh start, not weighed down by years of bad continuity and narrative that pretended to be faithful but drifted further and further away.
And as much as I prefer 2D Castlevania over 3D, the Metroidvania formula was getting fucking TEDIOUS. The fucking epitome of "going through the motions." If they ever feel like doing another REAL classic game in the Chronicles vein (har har), I'd be all over that. But otherwise, the entire franchise needed drastic steps taken, not just the 3D games.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
LoI was just lazy work. Half of the rooms in the game are totally empty.