Castlevania Animated Series - On Netflix

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Some further thoughts on this series as a whole:

So I think the general consensus is that Castlevania on Netflix is pretty good. There really aren't that many people complaining about it, and I think the reason is because we have a show runner and writers that recognize the solid narrative fundamentals that have been baked into the video games.

It was a simple premise that grew into its own complex mythology over time and lends itself very well to storytelling mediums. Good lore, world building with potential, character traits that lend themselves to good chemistry and just enough mystery to leave room for satisfying reveals and the occasional plot twist.

I think one of the reasons this is all pulled off so well is because its animated. It's a medium that isn't treated as the same kind of cash cow as, say, a live action TV series or a major motion picture. The show runners are probably under some expectation to perform, but because the cost for failure is lower, it's treated as a sort of financial 'adjunct'; if it profits, great. If not, oh well. And even though they've gotten some respectable names to play roles on Castlevania, such as Richard Armitage and James Callis to name a few, the budget isn't breaking the bank.

The art direction is good but there is a kind of 'rough' feel to the visuals, which I sort of like. The show looks like it was developed by human beings, capable of flashes of brilliance but with all of their shortcomings woven into the final output as well. It's imperfect, but not so glaringly fumbled that its unsatisfying. It's also not so slickly polished or produced that it looks unnatural or uncanny. It's a story about humanity struggling to survive in a world of monsters, and I feel the almost 'hewn' look of the show is a perfect visual match for the theme and direction of the series, although this is probably an unintentional byproduct. That sort of thing happens when a production's heart is in the right place.

I feel like Castlevania has discovered the formula for adapting a video game series to a visual storytelling medium:

-Long form series
-Animated
-Budget conscious
-Respect for the source
-Respect for the fans

This is not to say that the writing is perfect. It's a bit too potty mouthed for my tastes (for this particular source material, mind you) and the heroes act in an anachronistically comfortable fashion that takes some getting used to. I think this is less Shankar's and Ellis' first choice and more a failure of modern writers to find ways to get people to really care about characters in a medieval setting. It can be done, but they want young audiences watching because they want fans invested for the long haul and we all keep these things sacred in our hearts. We do all know where we are right now, yes? I would have probably kept it more traditional in terms of the social dynamics and vocabulary, but that's the main reason I never truly pursued a career writing for television (although I've had chances to put a foot in the door if I wanted to); I'm the sort of person that would prefer to let others adapt my existing works (the pipe dream to end all pipe dreams, I know.) I don't really think I could be satisfied as 'the tracer'.

So I was thinking about other video game series that might benefit from this template. There are plenty of great games out there with lore and mythology that capture our attention and get us invested. I would love to see any of the following series receive the same treatment. What I mean by this is that it would be great if these series were adapted to animated series and followed the Castlevania formula:

Dark Souls
SoulCalibur
Assassin's Creed (lends itself perfectly to this formula. Probably works better as a story than as a game series, anyway)
Final Fantasy (I'm aware it's been done before, but the long form series have all been trash)
The Witcher (believe me, I'm probably more aware than you are about the coming Netflix series. But I think this would have worked better as an animated show)
Fallout 3

I really think that Castlevania is the start of something big, guys. Video games are the biggest entertainment medium on the planet. It was inevitable that someone would eventually crack the code on adapting these things in a satisfying manner.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Castlevania the series is ok. It doesn’t deserve more than a few lines to say it. Let’s not act starved for anime.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Castlevania the series is ok. It doesn’t deserve more than a few lines to say it. Let’s not act starved for anime.

I have to disagree.

This series turned out better than it probably should have. And I don't think this is a case of overachieving. I really believe there was a lot of care invested in its adaptation. It was no mere cash grab. If anything, it was primed to fail. Who still cares about Castlevania?

Crusty old fans with stratified expectations, that's who. Even hipsters don't really care about Castlevania, although they will pretend to. The same ilk that likes Zelda because of its 8 bits.

This makes it a significant milestone and I feel like we're on the edge of something better.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I have to disagree.

This series turned out better than it probably should have. And I don't think this is a case of overachieving. I really believe there was a lot of care invested in its adaptation. It was no mere cash grab. If anything, it was primed to fail. Who still cares about Castlevania?

Crusty old fans with stratified expectations, that's who. Even hipsters don't really care about Castlevania, although they will pretend to. The same ilk that likes Zelda because of its 8 bits.

This makes it a significant milestone and I feel like we're on the edge of something better.

Castlevania was always a good ip. The characters were already there. All that “care” but no Death.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Castlevania was always a good ip. The characters were already there. All that “care” but no Death.

And Alucard takes center stage for the fight with Dracula rather than Trevor because it's more compelling character drama.

They were telling a story that made sense and not creaming in a bunch of stuff solely because it was in the video games. How do you know Dracula won't meet Death in the afterlife and forge an alliance with him to set up the boss fight you seem to think was missing from the show?

I've already argued how they could have added characters and concepts in with little effort. I'm not going to pretend that 'nothing's missing'. But I'm also not going to downplay the accomplishments of this series, which far outstripped expectations, just because some things were left out. Even if they were for reasons I don't agree with. What's there is a pretty great story, all things considered.

EDIT:

As for Castlevania being a 'great IP', there have been tons of great IPs but most of the adaptations were shit because the people in charge didn't know what to do with them. This is precisely why Castlevania is different-it did what most of the others didn't.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I really think that Castlevania is the start of something big, guys.

I know you wrote that meaning for other game series to follow suit, but it made me think why Konami is wasting all this good publicity without doing anything for it. Right now would have been the prime time for a game to come out and for a marketing/merchandising blitz to coincide with the release, and Konami has squandered the opportunity.

There should be an article written by a Konami employee about the past few years at Konami and how they've gone to hell.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
And Alucard takes center stage for the fight with Dracula rather than Trevor because it's more compelling character drama.

They were telling a story that made sense and not creaming in a bunch of stuff solely because it was in the video games. How do you know Dracula won't meet Death in the afterlife and forge an alliance with him to set up the boss fight you seem to think was missing from the show?

I've already argued how they could have added characters and concepts in with little effort. I'm not going to pretend that 'nothing's missing'. But I'm also not going to downplay the accomplishments of this series, which far outstripped expectations, just because some things were left out. Even if they were for reasons I don't agree with. What's there is a pretty great story, all things considered.

EDIT:

As for Castlevania being a 'great IP', there have been tons of great IPs but most of the adaptations were shit because the people in charge didn't know what to do with them. This is precisely why Castlevania is different-it did what most of the others didn't.

I don’t know what you expected to happen otherwise. To me this seemed Americanized (middle fingers, fuck yous) cookie cutter fare. That doesn’t mean it was bad. It was totally easily digestible. The animation was okay (berserk 2016 level). Of course the Castlevania fan crew will never admit it was choppy since their entire presence was built on Berserk trashing.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I don’t know what you expected to happen otherwise. To me this seemed Americanized (middle fingers, fuck yous) cookie cutter fare. That doesn’t mean it was bad. It was totally easily digestible. The animation was okay (berserk 2016 level). Of course the Castlevania fan crew will never admit it was choppy since their entire presence was built on Berserk trashing.

I didn't expect it to be good. I didn't expect it to be as remarkably faithful to the lore as it was (even with the stuff they didn't include.) I expected it to be episode after episode of mindless monster killing and banal action sequences. I didn't expect them to craft a legitimate story out of these events that would compel binging. i didn't expect it to even marginally live up to expectations. I expect to be let down and I wasn't. More than that, I think the series does a lot of things really well and is a good adaptation of a video game IP, maybe one of the only good ones we've ever had. This is something to build on, a template to reach greater heights. The groundwork is there, the foundation is laid, the blueprint is set.

LoneSage said:
I know you wrote that meaning for other game series to follow suit, but it made me think why Konami is wasting all this good publicity without doing anything for it. Right now would have been the prime time for a game to come out and for a marketing/merchandising blitz to coincide with the release, and Konami has squandered the opportunity.

There should be an article written by a Konami employee about the past few years at Konami and how they've gone to hell.

They probably don't want to end up sweeping the halls and taking out the trash. That shit actually happened at Konami.

They aren't talking about it because they'd have to admit how far off the beaten path they are now. They've denied any wrongdoing and ignored criticism. Observing that Netflix 'got it right' is a low key admission that they have fucked it all up so bad that other people have to be the curators of these properties locked away in their dungeon to suffer.

EDIT #2:

Acknowledging this would be admitting that storytelling is a vital part of video games. It'd basically be validating Hideo Kojima's position as a game director and that will never happen.

Of course, Kojima isn't innocent in any of this. I'm sure, being an 'artist' with an intense opinion of what should constitute his output, he was probably very difficult to work with. He probably cost Konami a lot of money and in the end, all corporations only care about red and black.

So it's not really all Konami's falut. I mean, it MOSTLy is because they weren't being creative and trying to maintain any kind of position in the gaming industry outside of the nostalgia bubble. Most companies are like that; keep doing something until it's no longer profitable and then double and triple down in order to ensure your comfortable business model endures. Then there are voluntary retirements, layoffs, restructurings, reassignments, selling off of assets, investment by outside agents and agencies and then either focusing on 'other markets', selling the whole thing or shuttering.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

What's wrong with it being Americanized? In case you haven't noticed, it's the Americans that are pretty much Top Dogs in Video Games right now. I love Anime, not hardcore into it but think the Castlevania Series so far was well done and does deserve praise.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
As far as the art direction go's, I would have preferred something more Adult Oriented like this but I'm assuming that they wanted to appeal to all audiences young and old. I thought the art was still well done though.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What's wrong with it being Americanized? In case you haven't noticed, it's the Americans that are pretty much Top Dogs in Video Games right now. I love Anime, not hardcore into it but think the Castlevania Series so far was well done and does deserve praise.

The wrong was *middle finger*, “oh fuck you.”

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I watched 2 episodes eons ago and watched the 3rd episode tonight and was impressed. I don't see why it's only rated at 2 stars. I think being familiar with the video games has a lot to do with it.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I watched 2 episodes eons ago and watched the 3rd episode tonight and was impressed. I don't see why it's only rated at 2 stars. I think being familiar with the video games has a lot to do with it.

The only one I really played a lot was Super Castlevania IV, but I still binge watched these two seasons. I also broke down and bought SOTN on Xbox One afterwards.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Well season three is around the corner airing on march the 5TH.Any one else looking forward to it ?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
sure, looking forward to the 2 hours of Castlevania that Shankar has for us this year. :rolleyes:

The show is solid but it takes forever to get so little, yet people give Miura a hard time and pretend Shankar shits gold.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This show didn't leave a big impression on me. I watched it and then it was over and I felt nothing. I still think what I wrote in post 131 is truer than ever, that Konami absolutely dropped the ball on not doing some kind of marketing blitzkrieg in coordination with the show's release and not elevating the IP into pop culture (if even for a short while). FFS, that's what cartoons used to only be for - merchandising! Hell that's what many still are for to be honest.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This show didn't leave a big impression on me. I watched it and then it was over and I felt nothing. I still think what I wrote in post 131 is truer than ever, that Konami absolutely dropped the ball on not doing some kind of marketing blitzkrieg in coordination with the show's release and not elevating the IP into pop culture (if even for a short while). FFS, that's what cartoons used to only be for - merchandising! Hell that's what many still are for to be honest.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?Brand=1940

Even has funko heads

The show needs to be more robust. It needs more eps, so that viewers can really get into it. And I think being able to binge all 2 hours at once hurts shows. Weekly release or even daily would have made the experience more engaging, no matter what slovenly bingers tell you.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?Brand=1940

Even has funko heads

The show needs to be more robust. It needs more eps, so that viewers can really get into it. And I think being able to binge all 2 hours at once hurts shows. Weekly release or even daily would have made the experience more engaging, no matter what slovenly bingers tell you.

Agree with this,

Dont think it applies to all shows but especially short seasons like this it absolutely does.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
And I think being able to binge all 2 hours at once hurts shows. Weekly release or even daily would have made the experience more engaging, no matter what slovenly bingers tell you.

Agree 100%, I've been saying this for years ever since Netflix shows became a thing.

Whether it help people get through the week ("Well at least I have (show I like) to look forward to next week") or bond over common interest (talking about the episode with other people and speculating what would happen next), I vastly prefer episodic formats compared to giving the viewer everything at once.

It's like premature ejaculation while you still have your pants on compared to an all-night, multiple timer.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Agree 100%, I've been saying this for years ever since Netflix shows became a thing.

Whether it help people get through the week ("Well at least I have (show I like) to look forward to next week") or bond over common interest (talking about the episode with other people and speculating what would happen next), I vastly prefer episodic formats compared to giving the viewer everything at once.

Being able to discuss individual episodes in depth was part of why we have a huge Game of Thrones thread. There's room for speculation that is completely absent in shows that shit it all out at once, like The Witcher.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Completely agree that binge television is unhealthy for a series' long term appeal.

That said, Season 3 of Castlevania is 10 eps so it will take more than 2 hours to conplete.

For a show like this, half hour installments are better but I'd almost prefer a weekly release. Look at what it did to create hype for The Mandalorian.

Overall, weekly releases create hype and excitement and are better for the culture of watching a TV series. Can you imagine The Sopranos being released all at once?

Also, 10 episodes of any series is the perfect length for a season. Even 13 is pushing it, IMO.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Also, 10 episodes of any series is the perfect length for a season. Even 13 is pushing it, IMO.

Gotta disagree here, boss. As long as the quality is consistent, I would prefer more instead of less. I remember when 23 used to be normal, maybe it still is for NBC and ABC shows, I dunno. But somehow 13 became the new 23.

I mean, sure, it all comes down to quality. No doubt expenses have risen exponentially which is why lots of shows have gone the 13 or under route, but there's no way in hell I would trade a Simpsons season 2 to 8 from 23 to 10, just as an example.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
There was a time I'd have shared that sentiment.

But I'm older now.

Time is running out.

But the world I live in continues to be immersed in more and more cool shit to discover and enjoy.

10 -13 hour long and meaningful episodes is ideal for a person like me, who only wants to experience more and more.

That doesn't mean I CAN'T enjoy the occasional long form offering. The Witcher 3, Berserk and A Song of Ice and Fire prove that.

But these things have to occupy a special place in my heart and head. Otherwise, I need something short, sweet, to the point, all killer no filler.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
I binged the 3rd season and I have to say, it's not very good. I think I'll stick to the games.

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust > this series.