Car Enthusiast Thread

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
its a great little car, excellent mileage, its comfy and rides smooth. pretty fast car

It's too low to the ground for me, I prefer a truck or SUV but I rent it when I visit a warm weather city

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
Picked this up a few months back, right before the whole 'dieselgate' thing started...

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Haven't been in this thread for years. Pretty sure last time I was here I was debating an altezza or not. Well insurance here is a complete joke. And unless you're over 40, with no accidents, and no penalty points you can forget driving anything decent.

Then I remembered the warm, and hot hatchback. Those little cars that manufacturers slap together to meet homologation requirements in the jwrc, and wrc respectively. So now I'm behind the wheel of a Citroen C2. Bit of an anomaly in the Citroen line up. But it won them the jwrc a couple times between 2004 and 2009, before being replaced with the Citroen DS3. The 1.6 VTS version is the one I have. It was the homologation special. Same steering setup, motor, and gearing as the rally car, albeit a bit watered down. She's been stiffened, and lowered, ive got a full scorpion exhaust on her, with a nice and hidden intake unit. And my goal is to get it close to the same spec as the jwrc car, without doing a complete overhaul of everything.

The rally car came in at much less than the road car's 2300 pounds, and had 190 horses. I've got her up from the stock 125 to around 135 or so. So I've got a ways to go. I'll get there (or somewhere close) I've found that here is not the place for big power, and a super low 0-60. But rather it's the kind of place with narrow, windy, tiny roads. Where throttle control and rpm management can turn a slower car into a much faster car. It's all about working the pedals, learning the roads, and shifting so quick you don't lose any acceleration from taking your foot off the gas.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I test drove the Venza and didn't like it. The ride is just OK, interior is cramped and the dash is an ugly mosaic of like 7 different textures, no way near worth the $30K+ asking price.. Drove the Highlander immediately after and loved it.

Agreed about the new Highlanders. Waifu and I sat in one at a car show last month not really expecting much but we really liked the fit/finish/look and configuration options. Fast forward a few hours that same day and we were driving one off the lot of our nearest dealership. We're usually not compulsive buyers but it was just about perfect for what we needed.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
E85, high ethanol blend bullshit. In my opinion, it's US gov horse crap. It'snot much cheaper than just regular gas (currently around $1.85/gal vs $2.15/gal for gas) and you mpg goes to complete shit on it.

In other words, a total joke. Fed gov trying to turn our food into fuel...

It's also bad for your engine. Neither of my cars were engineered to run on cooking oil. Most regular gas here is up to 10% ethanol. Reading the sign that proclaims this fact annoys me every time I fill up. Ironically, this is exactly the type of thing I hoped to get away from when I moved to America.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's also bad for your engine. Neither of my cars were engineered to run on cooking oil. Most regular gas here is up to 10% ethanol. Reading the sign that proclaims this fact annoys me every time I fill up. Ironically, this is exactly the type of thing I hoped to get away from when I moved to America.

You can find straight gas...but it isn't easy. Mazda recommended I run straight gas, high octane in my Mazdaspeed3. Thankfully, a Phillips 66 close to my house had 93 straight gas...but god, was it costly. Often $1/gal more than mid grade. The pricing would be $2.29/$2.49/$3.49 on reg/mid/high

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I tried finding straight gas down here in St. Louis. Closest was some boonie ass place down in southern MO that I'd have to fill up by the time I got back home. Same thing with E85, was going to get an E85 tune in my 9-2x Aero (a Saab WRX for those saying huh what?), but I think there's like 4 stations here in STL that I could find. None of which are close enough to bother.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
22574365829_354fce8dea_b.jpg

We are building "test bench" for motec ecu with basically all options and C187 display/logger, so we can program it before installing it to car. Lamborghini race engine and gearbox + two turbos (its time attack R8)... Its going to be beast :cool:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Today friend picked up all the motec/bosch stuff, we had it working last week

22508862393_649fe0fe58_b.jpg

Now they will start the fun with this:

miisalo

Astra Superstar
But motorsport prices are ridiculous. Example that wiring loom on the right was 2K, bosch motorsport abs/esp unit 8K, that display with all the options and advanced diagnostics software 7.5K etc. We used cheap usb to CAN adapter that was like 100€ but the official one to be installed to the car was 700€

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Bought this today:

bentley.jpg

1991 Bentley Turbo R long wheel base.

6.75l with a turbo, five and a half metres long, over 2.5 tonne, this thing is insane. I didn't take any photos of the interior as I didn't have the key when I took the above pic, but it's got a carpet in it that's not just like 'wow, this is the kind of carpet you'd get in a house', it's more like 'wow, this carpet is up to my knees it's so deep'.

It's got some bodywork issues to take care of but the mechanics are absolutely sound, the guy has spared no expense, he's spent over £10k in maintenance in the last year alone and it's only been serviced 100 miles ago.

Mileage is high - 166k - but you don't want one of these things sitting for years like they do, that's how you end up with oil leaks, so I'm glad its been a daily driver.

The size and expense of running a car like this is probably not that out of the norm in the US, but in the UK these things are a completely different beast altogether to the normal cars you see on the roads.

If I had the money I'd change the colour to something like a gunmetal grey, but I don't, so it's just a blow over to get it looking nice again. I'm also considering getting the drivers seat brought back to life again, the leather is worn quite heavily but there are no rips or holes.

Anyway, just thought I'd share something I'm looking forward to messing about with.

P.s. the price? £3.5k. Insane for all the car I'm getting don't you think?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I am excited for your purchase and cautiously optimistic.

looks a lot better than the 1985 jag xjs I almost bought for 3 grand in highschool.

Let us know how that beast treats you.

StevenK

10 Year Member
I'm definitely nervous about the whole thing - when something goes wrong it could mean living with it for a matter of months before I can save enough to have it fixed. The guy I bought it off was offered 3.5k from a dismantler so I figure if something terminal happens I can always fall back on that.

Bodywork is looking like costing £2k, so all in £5.75k and she'll be back to her former glory.

For how long is a big question.

Love the xjs, I've looked at those many times, prices are on the rise now though so I think that's out of my reach.

StevenK

10 Year Member
So, the Bentley's already fucked :(

I was taking it for our first proper drive today, an hour or so of flawless motoring then I opened up the turbo quite heavily. It went with it at pretty breakneck speed considering the weight of it, but as soon as I eased off then put my foot down again there was a belt squeal from under the bonnet. This got worse and worse, soon lights were on the dash - check engine, abs, check gearbox, battery low - it all sounds dire but my first thought is the accessory belt is either loose or perhaps has lost it's elasticity from sitting for a while and it's not charging the battery properly. In turn this is throwing up the other warnings.

I reckon this will be an easy fix, going to try and do it myself first off, I need to get used to being under the hood of this thing if I plan on driving it for any length of time.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
So, the Bentley's already fucked :(

I was taking it for our first proper drive today, an hour or so of flawless motoring then I opened up the turbo quite heavily. It went with it at pretty breakneck speed considering the weight of it, but as soon as I eased off then put my foot down again there was a belt squeal from under the bonnet. This got worse and worse, soon lights were on the dash - check engine, abs, check gearbox, battery low - it all sounds dire but my first thought is the accessory belt is either loose or perhaps has lost it's elasticity from sitting for a while and it's not charging the battery properly. In turn this is throwing up the other warnings.

I reckon this will be an easy fix, going to try and do it myself first off, I need to get used to being under the hood of this thing if I plan on driving it for any length of time.

yeah, sounds like a belt. That should be minor. I'd love to see under the bonnet of that thing.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Confirmed - fan belt was snapped when I opened the bonnet. It came with a spare belt which is good news and there's actually quite a bit of space to work in and around the engine so going to have a try on it this afternoon. Will report back.

P.s. will take some pics under the bonnet for you :)

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Well jel mate. I have a soft spot for things, large, old, and English. My first car was a 77 jag xj6 that needed more money and time put into it than I could afford on my 16 year old fry cook salary. Someday I'll have another.

Enjoy the boat. Nothing beats that feeling of opulence, and excess, that a vintage luxo barge gives. Even if nothing works right, and the shite Lucas electrics, and British Leyland quality control reputation make driving a daily struggle. It's worth it to look out onto the drive and feel like a mobster, or union boss, or a rich old royal who isn't broke from bad business decisions.

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Lucas electrics,

Lucas - Prince of Darkness :keke:

1280480000bge_lucas3a.JPG

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Lucas dip-switch positions: LOW and BLOW (Bruce Miller, www.hermit.cc)

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Back in the '70s Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which didn't suck.

Quality Assurance phoned and advised the Lucas engineering guy that they had trouble with his design shorting out. So he made the wires longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made the refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone. Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

How to make AIDS disappear? Give it a Lucas parts number.

Recently, Lucas won out over Bosch to supply the electrical for the new Volkswagens. So, now the cars from the Black Forest will come with electrics supplied by the Lord of Darkness -- how appropriate!

Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.

ChrisB

Another Striker
Bought this today:

View attachment 30452

1991 Bentley Turbo R long wheel base.

6.75l with a turbo, five and a half metres long, over 2.5 tonne, this thing is insane. I didn't take any photos of the interior as I didn't have the key when I took the above pic, but it's got a carpet in it that's not just like 'wow, this is the kind of carpet you'd get in a house', it's more like 'wow, this carpet is up to my knees it's so deep'.

It's got some bodywork issues to take care of but the mechanics are absolutely sound, the guy has spared no expense, he's spent over £10k in maintenance in the last year alone and it's only been serviced 100 miles ago.

Mileage is high - 166k - but you don't want one of these things sitting for years like they do, that's how you end up with oil leaks, so I'm glad its been a daily driver.

The size and expense of running a car like this is probably not that out of the norm in the US, but in the UK these things are a completely different beast altogether to the normal cars you see on the roads.

If I had the money I'd change the colour to something like a gunmetal grey, but I don't, so it's just a blow over to get it looking nice again. I'm also considering getting the drivers seat brought back to life again, the leather is worn quite heavily but there are no rips or holes.

Anyway, just thought I'd share something I'm looking forward to messing about with.

P.s. the price? £3.5k. Insane for all the car I'm getting don't you think?

Damn Congrats Steven you joined the Bentley club :) awesome.. luxury, comfort, classic image that never dates imo. That price is good as well, although you've already had to get the spanners out so to speak but at least its an easy fix.
Must turn heads whenever you drive that beast, and yes the carpets are like wtf.. the pile is like an inch deep. I had the pleasure to sit in a 99 arnage and there was acre's of leather everywhere!!

Im jeep mad got a couple of jeep Cherokee's 4.0L straight 6 as a daily driver, are you considering lpg conversion as well. You will be the petrol stations best friend when you pull up in that :)

Speed3

Marked Wolf
image.jpeg

This is my 05 WRX (STI Clone) I've swapped the 2.0L out in favor of the 2.5L from a doner STI, CP Pistons, Manley rods, ID 1000 injectors, and a Blouch Dominator 2.5XTR Turbo. It's no Bentley or race car but it put down 354 AWHP at 18psi.

Some of the cars in this thread are amazing I particularly like the Bentley above.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Nice ride there Speed3. I've got an '05 Saab 9-2x Aero aka WRX Wagon right now. Pretty tame mods for the most part, catless uppipe, catless Invidia turbo back. Its my daily driver, but I'm ok with it. Might do the whole bigger turbo/intercooler/fuel pump/injectors routine later this year after I buy a house and see what the money situation is like.

Speed3

Marked Wolf
Nice ride there Speed3. I've got an '05 Saab 9-2x Aero aka WRX Wagon right now. Pretty tame mods for the most part, catless uppipe, catless Invidia turbo back. Its my daily driver, but I'm ok with it. Might do the whole bigger turbo/intercooler/fuel pump/injectors routine later this year after I buy a house and see what the money situation is like.

Thanks, I've always liked the Saabaru's throw some pics up when you get a chance.