Capture Cards

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
Sorry if I didn't find an existing thread on this but I wasn't able to find one. I've recently considered capturing my gameplay of Zone Of The Enders 1 & 2 on Very Hard and without continues or saves.

What capture card(s) do you guys use and recommend I get? I will be trying to capture RGB and HDMI through PS3 but I've read it due to encryption I have to capture thru component. But whatever, let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You can capture through HDMI using an HDMI stripper. Or you can rip through component at 480i. RGB through a PS3 is kinda silly.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
the LGX seems to be an amazing option (USB 3.0)... usually avermedia comes with a component cable to bypass the PS3 protection... Otherwise a good option just for ps3 would be IMO the blackmagic intensity which also comes with composite in....

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
You can capture through HDMI using an HDMI stripper. Or you can rip through component at 480i. RGB through a PS3 is kinda silly.

I'll be trying to capture RGB with other consoles. Sorry for not wording that properly, I meant to say I want something versatile for capable of capturing both RGB and HDMI. So 480i is the best I can capture using component? I checked out some HDMI strippers and that seems like the preferred route, though it is a little pricey for something I won't be using for anything else.

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Why was I thinking this was a thread about Cardcaptor Sakura?!! :eek_2:

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
I searched on google and found this site about RGB capturing with an internal capture card from micomsoft.

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
the LGX seems to be an amazing option (USB 3.0)... usually avermedia comes with a component cable to bypass the PS3 protection... Otherwise a good option just for ps3 would be IMO the blackmagic intensity which also comes with composite in....

I looked into the LGX and that seems to be the best option for me considering I have a laptop and I can't use an internal card. I like that it captures uncompressed video in 1080p/60f and uses usb 3.0. I'll be going with the LGX and an HDMI stripper. Any which one you guys would recommend in particular? I found a site with a list of splitters that actually strips HDCP, but I rather know about what has been used and tested by the forums. This is the one that was tested on the site.

Also, what software is best to use? I bet the factory software that comes with the LGX is not the best.

Edit: So I just found out about the Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1... Seems like the one but its $300... I'm assuming this is what robot uses for his Megathon?

Last edited:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I have an X-Capture and it works great. It requires some tweaking with streaming programs like OBS, but if you want to stream/capture retro or modern..it's probably the best.

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
I have an X-Capture and it works great. It requires some tweaking with streaming programs like OBS, but if you want to stream/capture retro or modern..it's probably the best.

I found this site with good info on the X-Capture and they compare it to a few other external capture cards from 2013. Now I just need to find an X-Capture for the cheapest possible :annoyed:

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
I wish I would've known about Solaris Japan sooner... They seem more legit than Play-Asia... I guess I just like their site better

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
How do these capture cards handle de-interlacing old game footage while preserving the transparency effects that interlacing makes possible?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I used to run a music video group release group back in the late 90's/early 00's. I used to have a separate desktop with some fancy Matrox capture card installed(spent like $600 on the card at the time). I'm sure their newer stuff is better/cheaper(and they are still around) -- http://www.matrox.com/en/

I recall though that the EU rippers in my group had their own dedicated "stream dumpers"(stand-alone hardware devices). These devices would somehow capture the raw stream data(usually mpeg2) and dump it directly to these boxes. They'd then just copy the files over to their PC's and work with them then. If they still make these devices, that'd be the best way to acquire something without having to rip(convert) it first. Unfortunately, I haven't been in contact with anyone from my group for nearly 10 years now.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'll try to keep an eye on this thread. I used to work for the capture card company ViewCast and while their cards weren't game-centric I still learned a ton while there.

billbrasky

Cheng's Errand Boy
It's been a while since I've been on the forum, but I just picked up a XCAPTURE-1 second hand and it is great. I also purchased a Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder (thunderbolt) but the XCAPTURE-1 was better in almost every way, besides the Mac driver support. I took some time to capture all of my Neo Geo game introductions and made this playlist (https://youtu.be/VJVX7UWpj10?list=PL2CSxUtIHDPsZ5U8o9WZCZwCayCFG_lde). Basic specifications in the video descriptions, but just as an example of the quality of the capture. I have a couple other capture test videos tucked away on my channel as well.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm looking at an X-Capture 1 myself, I've been getting by with a non-hardware encoding Hauppauge ExpressCard with Component in and a YPbPr encoder coming off a video splitter (since I run RGB), but results aren't quite where I want them (I'm fine for the price I paid for the setup though). Plus I have no way to capture medium res RGB from one of my cabs.

My laptop doesn't have USB 3.0, I'll need to see if either low resolutions will work OK over USB 2.0 or find a USB 3.0 ExpressCard with a compatible USB 3.0 chipset. Not really an issue for most if you don't have a dumb older laptop like myself ;p