Capcom Fighting Evolution panned by Gamespot (and IGN; now updated)

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
I think it scored pretty high for a rehash. When I first saw this thread, I was expecting a 5.0- score.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
And isn't SFAC just another re-release of an old game (SF3 TS) and another recycle exercise (HSF2)? I see your point that they are now on-line, but if I wanted to play these games I could just fire up the Saturn and DC versions of the equivalent games. I'd rather see "new" (OK, this one is totally rehashed, but at least they don't charge you full price, just 30$) games in the new consoles, for old games I already have the old consoles.

SFAC will be thirty bucks when it shows up here.
As for my own opinion, HSFII and Third Strike are peerless in the fighting category.
Throw in the fact that they're playable online, and you have an absolute must for any self-respecting hardcore fighting fan.

What I wouldn't give for an XBox version of Vampire Chronicles now. W coded of course. :smirk:

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
This Screenshot pretty much shows what's up with the game - it looks a fucking horrible, mugen like mess with no love or anything poured into it. Jesus, just look at the difference in sprite quality, and that background has to be among th emost awgful, no, THE most awful thing i've seen in years.

shite! go CAPCOM USA!!! :multi_co:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
I don't get it man, SNK uses the same sprites for KOF 96 as they do for 2003, the same ones for SS3 as they do for SS5 Special... they charge like 400 dollars for the game and it's not that big of a deal, but capcom does the same thing and charages 30 bucks for the game and it's fucking blasphamy.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I don't get it man, SNK uses the same sprites for KOF 96 as they do for 2003, the same ones for SS3 as they do for SS5 Special... they charge like 400 dollars for the game and it's not that big of a deal, but capcom does the same thing and charages 30 bucks for the game and it's fucking blasphamy.

Don't look at me. I gave SNK-P just as much shit for SVC.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Oh god.. yeah SvC was even worse since they redid the sprites for that one. So maybe it's not such a bad thing that they are using the old sprites....

Pyron's in this game also BTW. I wonder if there are any other secret characters.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
People who have been complainging about game companies not pushing the 2D envelope and developing a woeful amount of sprites in recent years...

should probably check out a little game called GGX, GGXX, GGreload(?) and who knows what else they've renamed it. Its fun, new, and pretty!

Its funny noone has yet mentioned this game. Its true SNKP and Capcom have become the epitome of lazy. Its surprising they arent' being held up to the new standard that is being set for them, rather than just saying "its okay because there are only 2 companies still working on 2D and its okay since they both do it".

Blah, you can do better, and hopefully they someday will.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
BC_Gambit said:
People who have been complainging about game companies not pushing the 2D envelope and developing a woeful amount of sprites in recent years...

should probably check out a little game called GGX, GGXX, GGreload(?) and who knows what else they've renamed it. Its fun, new, and pretty!

Its funny noone has yet mentioned this game. Its true SNKP and Capcom have become the epitome of lazy. Its surprising they arent' being held up to the new standard that is being set for them, rather than just saying "its okay because there are only 2 companies still working on 2D and its okay since they both do it".

Blah, you can do better, and hopefully they someday will.

Didn't Guilty Gear Isuka add new characters and a 4PL simultaneous mode, at least?

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
GregN. said:
Didn't Guilty Gear Isuka add new characters and a 4PL simultaneous mode, at least?

Yeah but they did so poorly... and the new character is worthless.

But they are trying.

GGXX is da bomb (kind of).

WGolly

Known Scammer. Fook Better Explain Himself
whoa! 1994 Anakaris sprite?

I miss the days in the mid-90's when snk took risks and changed the sprites at least for every sequal. samsho 1-2-3, totally diffrent sprites. Damn! they haven't updated most sprites since '96 for crying out loud.

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
The truth is this folks: Even if the most perfect 2-D fighter came out, everyone would still bitch simply because it's not made by the original SNK. But, if the original SNK made a pure pile of smoking dog shit, everyone would hail it as one of the greatest fighters ever.

You know it folks.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
C'mon.......it's just $30.........
I'll buy it no matter what......... :oh_no:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Liquid Snake said:
C'mon.......it's just $30.........
I'll buy it no matter what......... :oh_no:
Yes, but will you play it? It's not like there's something better in stores on the very same day, is there? ;) ;) ;)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So isn't CFJ out today? Anyone get it yet? Impressions? I'd rather trust what people here say than a game magazine.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
neojedi said:
Yes, but will you play it? It's not like there's something better in stores on the very same day, is there? ;) ;) ;)

Why not? I play every Capcom fighting game........... :cool:
I don't see nothing wrong with this game so far except everyone is bitching about the sprites..........

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Play liked it alot. Chris Hoffman gave it an A-

He liked the endings..
"Zangief's ending is one of the best I've seen in a fighting game in years."

Liked the collision..
"..Collison is spot-on. This is easily noticeable in the Darkstalkers characters."

Didn't like.. low res characters..
".. the characters look pixelated, especially on larger TVs..."

Modes..
"A few more modes would have been nice as well; one-on-one fights, team elimination matches and a mission mode would make this game shine even brighter."

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
It's a sad state of affairs for 2d fighters when those fan-made doujin games look worlds better than the half-assed shit Capcom is currently churning out. :(

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Ever since hearing that CFJ has no guard meter and that you are stuck on one groove, I had a bad feeling about it. I don't plan on buying the game at all... no interest at all for me. I'd rather stick with playing CvS2.

I'm looking forward to NeoGeo Battle Coliseum much more than CFJ. And even that game, I'm not holding my breath on. Haven't played a game from Playmore that I remotely liked yet (Samurai Spirits Zero doesn't count... it's made by Yuki).

Guilty Gear is okay with me, but I like classic Capcom/SNK games better. GG is a bit too chaotic... not as bad as MvC2, but still hard for me to adjust to. I admire the offense-minded gameplay, but I prefer a closer balance of offense/defense.

2D fighters are truly dead. :confused:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Ever since hearing that CFJ has no guard meter and that you are stuck on one groove, I had a bad feeling about it. I don't plan on buying the game at all... no interest at all for me. I'd rather stick with playing CvS2.

I'm looking forward to NeoGeo Battle Coliseum much more than CFJ. And even that game, I'm not holding my breath on. Haven't played a game from Playmore that I remotely liked yet (Samurai Spirits Zero doesn't count... it's made by Yuki).

Guilty Gear is okay with me, but I like classic Capcom/SNK games better. GG is a bit too chaotic... not as bad as MvC2, but still hard for me to adjust to. I admire the offense-minded gameplay, but I prefer a closer balance of offense/defense.

2D fighters are truly dead.

The choir nods in approval.
Preach on.
:mr_t:

Sonic Blast

NEST Puppet
I will buy it just so I can play with the Warzard/ Red Earth characters. I haven't had a chance to play Warzard/ Red Earth so I'm interested in seeing how they play.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I'm in the same boat, actually. I actually like the roster, and I think it's the Warzard characters and Karin that's leaning me into getting it. Now Capcom only has to use Karin 1 more time to match the amount of appearances she's made in SNK-made games. (Oh how Capcom gave some of its characters, the shaft)

Actually, CvS chaos is one game in which front-step and certain included characters saved it for me(it may have its faults, but Tessa was a work of near genious, and there's some real fun characters with exhaustive move sets). It sounds like a similar case, with this game. The notion of teaming up Karin and Yun and seeing how they can go against people like Jedah seems too enticing. Still, I would've liked to see even more unusual characters make the roster. I would've been interested in seeing Makoto make it in instead of Chun Li. Chun Li never really felt like a real SF3 character, to me. Just an add in.

Though it does feel that this game is similar to Capcom as was SvC chaos was to SNK. A game that almost lives off of its fun character selection and doing their best to include some ODD and unusual characters, from their roster. Sadly enough, that's exactly what will keep me buying the things. I just get pumped at seeing the less-used flock make comebacks in a strong way. I'm still optimistic that Capcom's Lilith will make a return just like Cham Cham. Though Cham Cham deserves a comeback given she's the most fan favorite fighting game character in existance, to consistantly get the shaft when it comes to game appearances. Even the constant running jokes (they seem to show up in backgrounds but never come back to fight) Mr. Todo and Eiji got more representation.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
So far the game is ok. The music is pretty decent, and I actually like some of the backgrounds. Not much movement, but I don't really care about that. The game plays just a tad slow, which I really don't mind. The ai is dumb as shit at the default level. I went through the whole game without losing a round, beat Pyron which unlocked him as a playable character. Also whatever 2 characters you are using, you unlock their original theme music.

Nothing spectacular, but it's still fun.