Can't do a dragon punch in KOF 94

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'm a long time fan of 2D fighters and I've generally stuck to Capcom fighters over the years, my favourate being the EX series because of the fluid combo system.
Only recently I sat down and made myself play a KOF game. I've been playing AES KOF 94 and it's more fun than I thought, I even managed to get a few three hit dizzy combos going.

However I can't seem to do a dragon punch to save my life. I realise that the exact motion and accuracy for this move varies from game to game and that games like the early KOFs require more accuracy than most. I've tried varying the speed and technique of the motion but I just can't get one off properly.

If someone could offer me some advice on how to do this properly I be very greatful.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I had this problem for years.

Try this:

Hold Forward (walk forward for a second)... then do a fireball motion but hit the button earlier than you usually would.

Works like a charm.

the_colonel

Fio's Quartermaster
The manual should say something like forward,down,downforward+ a button.

You need more accuracy in your basics basically. You get that by playing intill you can do it all he time, then you can say you can really do a oniyaki & not a dragon punch.

If you say you can't do a dp so does that mean you can't do a dp on capcom games too.

Just kiddin haha, good luck.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Usually when going back and playing some of the classics, you'll need to use slower joystick movements than you would with newer titles.

Try to slow yourself down and perhaps be a bit more deliberate in your actions and remember, it's 1994 :cool:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
I've never heard of this problem ever but it reminds me that for months after I started to play SF2 I could never do a dragon punch. :)

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
the_colonel said:
The manual should say something like forward,down,downforward+ a button.

You need more accuracy in your basics basically. You get that by playing until you can do it all he time, then you can say you can really do a oniyaki & not a dragon punch.

that's pretty much it right there...in games where the DP motion is really picky, there isn't any room for error...the main snag I had to get over early on was making a conscious effort to keep the final position at Down/Forward and NOT Forward...this is usually the sticking point that could throw off the whole move if you overshoot even the slightest bit...

other than that, like the Colonel says: practice practice practice...apply some patience and I'm sure you'll be a pro in no time...
;)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I don't know if I've been playing for toooo long, but I can adjust my game on the fly and I rarely have this dp problem

maybe the first few rounds, then its automatic

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
Some commands are different i KOf 94 as well...

Some moves that normally is performed with a DP-motion has motions like qcf,uf+Button and such...

Joe´s tiger kick is that way for example.

The uppercut mapping for KOF94 specifically (was corrected in KOF95) is fwd - dwn - dwnfwd - fwd + button. The additional fwd is necessary.

Alternatively, you can perform the uppercut z accurately then go to neutral then button.

There's shitloads of other perculiar movement executions for KOF94 too.
e.g. shortcut DMs
Terry = dwnbk - bk - dwnfwd + BC
Kyo = dwnfwd - dwn - neutral - dwn dwnfwd + C
Kim = dwnbk - bk - dwnfwd + BD
plus loads more

Try the uppercut and example DMs as said, you'll see that I'm right. ;)