Can Hypers just "crap out"?

eight one

Igniz's Servent
I'm asking this because I tried to hook mine up to my Mini Cute, buit all I get is a yellow or fuschia screen. When I try other boards (less CPS2) they work fine.

Anyone ever see this before?

Thanks in advance.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Well I have a H64 Rev.2 board. The last time I tried it, it was working fine. Then I sent it away to be consolised and was informed that upon power up it just gives out a red screen. I've been led to beleive that the game cart is faulty and not the mobo. I am now in the process of sending another game out to my consoliser to re-test, until I do this I can't offer much more of an explanation and my board cannot be consolised. I've never heard of a yellow of fuscia screen though, mine is always red.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
eight one said:
I'm asking this because I tried to hook mine up to my Mini Cute, buit all I get is a yellow or fuschia screen. When I try other boards (less CPS2) they work fine.

Anyone ever see this before?

Thanks in advance.

What Revision is it..?...1 or 2..

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Fuck, I really hope it's the board that crapped out and not the cart....

Its stories like this that made me back off from an otherwise cool investment....

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Sp0o/\/?! said:
Fuck, I really hope it's the board that crapped out and not the cart....

Its stories like this that made me back off from an otherwise cool investment....

Well,I'm not sure of the inter details of the situations..

With eight one..

He may have a bad connection..
The Edge connector may have been dirty..The Jamma harness may not be making a good connection..

It may not be wired up right.

Power supply may be just a bit to low..
The cart not seating correctly..or pushed in enough.

The board may have never had worked..I don't know if he ever had it working.

I don't know what happened with his situation..he never updated the situation.

As for me...I've never had a problem with any of my REV 1 boards nor have any of the people that I have sold REV 1 boards to..
Even the two mother boards that I have that are missing parts still work..

And all my games work too.

It's a worthwhile system...

chris1 said:
Well,I'm not sure of the inter details of the situations..

With eight one..

The Edge connector may have been dirty..The Jamma harness may not be making a good connection..

As for me...I've never had a problem with any of my REV 1 boards nor have any of the people that I have sold REV 1 boards to..
Even the two mother boards that I have that are missing parts still work..

And all my games work too.

It's a worthwhile system...

Correct!

I own four Hyper Neo Geo 64 boards (all rev. 1), and they still do work fine.

You have to remember that like any other JAMMA board or electronic device, the Hyper 64 is a fragile system and should be treated with care.

Charles

eight one

Igniz's Servent

Nope. It's been cleaned. Still nothing. (yes, the harness too)

What exactly is this? I thought it was just plug and play. (Of note this board did work before.)

This may be possible...in the slightest way.

Nope.

It has worked before...unless hooking it up is a lot more complicated than it should be.

Taken cared of.

P.S. It's a 1.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
eight one said:
Nope. It's been cleaned. Still nothing. (yes, the harness too)

What exactly is this? I thought it was just plug and play. (Of note this board did work before.)

This may be possible...in the slightest way.

Nope.

It has worked before...unless hooking it up is a lot more complicated than it should be.

Taken cared of.

P.S. It's a 1.

No,Revision 1 boards are not just plug and play.(IMO)...Well,they will work if just plugged in but with no sound..(Without the additional +5 V and ground wires hooked up but the -5 is a must)

The additional +5 V and Ground wires "must" be hooked up to keep the board working or it'll burn out ..I'm not sure how long it would take before burning out..

You also need a -5 volts hooked up to the Jamma harness to run the Revision 1 boards.

When I plug in the two Revision 1 boards that are missing the plate for the +5 V and Ground wires it works with mono sound and I've played one of them for several hours,but if I keep doing this it eventually burn out..
I'm not sure if the process of burning out occurs when the system is hooked up-ON or suicidal like CPSII mother boards.

I'm not sure how the cab your putting it in is wired up that's why I say/not wired up right....I also don't know if a -5volt is hooked up in that cab...and if it's even woking..
Info I just don't know.

The Jamma harness pins could be not making good contact somewhere but are super clean...(A problem I've had)

Have you taken any voltage readings in that cab..?
What's the +5 volts measure at..?
It just could be to low..

Did you try any other carts..?..Could be a dead cart..
Did the cart work before you got it..?...Did it work with this board?

What did you have the Mother board in when it was working(with that cart)?

Did you ever get it working otherwise...What ever happened..
Is the board shot now..?..or does it only not work in that cab..

Info needed to make a better determination..

chris1 said:
No,Revision 1 boards are not just plug and play.(IMO)...Well,they will work if just plugged in but with no sound..(Without the additional +5 V and ground wires hooked up but the -5 is a must)

The additional +5 V and Ground wires "must" be hooked up to keep the board working or it'll burn out ..I'm not sure how long it would take before burning out..

You also need a -5 volts hooked up to the Jamma harness to run the Revision 1 boards.

Chris1,

Please keep in mind that for the rev. 1 boards the -5V is only required for the board to generate sound. Otherwise, the board will work fine but with no sound.
Rev. 2 boards do not require -5V at all.

But you are right, if you have a rev. 1 board, you must have the power supply harness installed or be prepared to have a fried board and game.

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Charles Franklin Fernandez said:
Chris1,

Please keep in mind that for the rev. 1 boards the -5V is only required for the board to generate sound. Otherwise, the board will work fine but with no sound.
Rev. 2 boards do not require -5V at all.

But you are right, if you have a rev. 1 board, you must have the power supply harness installed or be prepared to have a fried board and game.

Charles

Thanks Charles.....

Good info to know... :)

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
So does anyone have experience of dead carts? What should I expect to see when I power up the board with a dead cart inserted?

J0e Musashi said:
So does anyone have experience of dead carts? What should I expect to see when I power up the board with a dead cart inserted?

From what I was told and read within the forums, you will get a red acreen.

Charles