Can´t burn eprom

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
Hi,
my loved KoF 2001 for MVS isn´t working anymore, just the crosshatch appears.
I´ve tried to clean it or set it to another slot with the same result.
So it must be the P1 faulty, i think.

I´ve own a willem eprom programmer and i´ve burned unibioses with it till now.
A look in the forum told me that i´ve to use a 27c800 eprom to replace it.

First problem getting the file.
I´ve set my willem to 27c800 settings with 12,5VCC and 5,5VDD.
Desoldered the P1 and put it into the willem, read it and save the file. It has a size of 1MB.

Then i´ve written it to an empty eprom but it won´t work. Maybe the faulty chip gives no good data.

After that i´ve checked an old download from a neo geo emulator.
There´re all games packed in *.rar with all data named like chips.
Size was the same as the file i read from the original chip.

Another try to burn. Failure.

Ereasing eprom´s.

Now it it´s on the chip but it don´t want to work, too.

Are the files right or have i read them wrong or it takes special settings to burn Neo Geo files?

The second problem
I used the willem just for 27c1024 for bioses till now. These works fine. Only one time a chip won´t written.
But after some eareasings and no better results i think it was a faulty one.

With the 27c800 i´ve got often problems to write.

The willem is a PCB45. Somebody use this and can tell me settings for these chips?

Thank´s

Shogeki

n00b
i had many problems with my willem back in the days, it wouldnt burn some kind of roms.

What model do you have ? he usb or serial one ?

Maybe you need an external power source. (if there is one on willem programmers).

What kind of problem do you encounter ? It doesnt write or writes bad ? (the datas on the chip arent corresponding to the buffer).

Have you even try to burn any other big size rom ? (27c160/27c322).

Also did you check the jumpers ? the sitting are different for 27c1024 and 27c800 on willems i recall.

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
The willem is PCB45(V5.6 or 5.7 i think). The connection is via ltp and i use a power supply.
I checked the VCC and VDD with a multimeter and they´re correct.

The dips i´ve seted as show by the 0.98d5 software.

it writes bad. Once a friend burned a 27c322 with it but not for neo geo things.

He said it was alright .

the most strange is that he sometimes jump in higher twc and twp ratings during programming and these writes are faulty almost every time.

That´s he.

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It's normal for some EPROMs to be as high as 6.5 volts instead of 5v power when programming. It's all part of the programming algorithm made by the manufacturer.

Are you pulling the file out of the .rar archive? Have you checked the file's checksum against the MAME archives to make sure it's OK?

Also, have you checked the other program ROMs to make sure their checksum matches what is in the .rar file? It's always possible that there are different versions of the same cartridge program. If that's the case then you can't mix program ROMs and would have to program them as a set.

RJ

Shogeki

n00b
There are 2 sets for kof 2001, only two roms are changing (the program, p1 and p2 (27c800 / 27c322).

So if you change the p1 make sure it's maching with the p2. (you might have to dump the p2 to check, but my

kof2001 mvs has the two p roms on socket, so if yours do too, it must be a version 2)

I had all kind of troubles with my willem, but tweaking the voltage came as a solution a couple of times.

I remember i could program st27c800 on my willem, i only had problems with some 27c4096.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
All those Willem problems are why I spent the $$$ and picked up a pro grade programmer from eeTools. ;)

Shogeki

n00b
How much are those going for ?

I just got a rework station and im trying to get some good applicances for my workshop.

I have a Top2049 programmer, it's better than a willem but still a pain in the ass.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I think my local Fry's still has one on clearance for $399 + tax.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
With the EETools Topmax model it would be worth paying the extra for the version II (with the usb connection)

My Topmax is the older parallel port type , cost around $400 a couple of years ago - works well but a bit slow.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
My ROMmax is plenty fast on the parallel port. It's still WAY faster than my Chinese USB programmer (TOP2004)...

RJ

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Agreed, Willem programmers are crap. They work fine on certain EPROMs but you'll end up with weird behaviors on plenty of others. I even had problems with it dumping small EPROMs.

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
Ok, then i´ll have look for a better one.

Which could you recommend?

Should be a not so expensive one.

Shogeki

n00b
I don't know, what is your range of price ?
I have a top2049, cost me around 130 bucks, but i wouldn't advice that one, it has some bugs and won't burn some roms.

Actually channel maniac, i have problems burning am27c010 only, but not all of them, i tried to tweak the delay, but still, it just end up with an error in the early lines of the writing process, 95% of the rom is blank with only the first line are written.

Did you have any problems ike that with your top programmer ?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Not on that chip. I had problems with 2732 chips on my TOP2004, but that was fixed by downloading a different software version.

You might check to see if the USB Pocket Programmer will do the chips you want.

RJ

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The Willem I have requires the 16-bit adapter to burn the Neo bios chip. Assuming they're all like that, props to you on getting the adapter.

The Willem worked great for me because all I've done with it so far is re-burn a Turtles in Time board from 2-players to 4-players. No need to buy a pricey programmer. Although that 16-bit adapter might be a good idea for upgrading the Neo bios.

Anyway, are you sure you have all the dip switches set right to burn this type of chip? Check them and check them again. That was always my biggest problem.

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
I´ve checked the checksum of files with other mame archives and they´re same.

Jumper settings are checked often cause i´ve tried a longer time programming these chips.

I´ve wrote my probs to the seller and he told me to check connection cause the 16bit adapter has sometimes probs with.

Now i put a 32dip solder socket between the connector cause he fits with more pressure and it writes with no errors.

But won´t run again.

I´ve read the chip and checksum is the same but won´t work.

Last edited:

ROM-Lover

New Challenger
After so much tries...it works!

But it´s hardcore with this programmer.

S

simeon

top programmers fix for eproms

sorry to bring up this old thread

i find solution to all top programmers not working with eproms like 27C etc

they need 6.5v to burn correctly as vcc

so adding the right directive is all thats needed