Buying first setup...got any tips???

mikev08826

n00b
Hello,

I will be buying my first neo setup now that I can afford one.

I'm not sure what to get...Are the AES reliable???

Are the CD reliable???

I'm thinking CD with 2 hori fighting sticks...

Which are better...the old style sticks or the new???

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Most people prefer old-style stick to new. AES are very reliable. CD less so.

If you are not independently wealthy, I would recommend MVS over AES. For the price of an AES with Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade 2, you could instead get a consolized MVS (that hooks up to your tv the same as an AES would), those 2 games, and have hundreds of dollars left over for more cheap MVS games. As another example, most KOF games on AES run over $100. On MVS, you can get pretty much any of them for $50 or under (2001 is the only one I can't remember seeing for that price). AES Mark of the Wolves = $300-$600. MVS Mark of the Wolves = about $60.

CD is cheapest, and sometimes has cool extras, but is not for everyone.

And good idea on the Hori sticks, if you can get them.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
If you're not rich, go with an MVS setup if you can. The games are much cheaper, especially if you don't get full kits.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
If you're into collecting, go AES.

If gaming is what matters to you, go MVS.

If you're short on cash, go MVS.

I wouldn't mess with the CD, personally. It has some neat extras, but you really limit yourself with the CD, as many of the later games have unbearable loading times.

adolink

n00b
AES is the only way to go!!!! Just save up, those big black sexy cases and beautiful carts!!!!!!!!! You can also get a Phantom 1 converter to play most mvs carts on your aes! You can even make your own conversions if interested! I got myn neo less than a year ago, first I got an japanese low serial # but it put out some funky vertical lines on the screen so I sold it and got a neo with composite,S-video, sterio,and surround out with unibios and lit reset. Go With a mega mod its worth the extra $$$$ in the end. I bought about 10 aes carts that cost alot in the beginning and sold 2 off for a phantom converter and 30 mvs carts!!!!! But the Mvs carts just didn't satisfy me so I sold them and went back to aes! The cd system has some really poor loading times. I hear the cdz is a little quicker! A consolized mvs just kinda looks like a tool box but it does get the job done. AES is the best though, aesthetically speaking, But thats just me! any questions dont hesitate to ask ;)

also, welcome to an hobby thats more addictive than riding the white pony

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, in fact one of our members, ckchan, who's in Hong Kong, is one of the best sellers you'll ever find. Great prices and faster shipping than I've got from a couple people here in the States.

TerryMathews

Mr. Big's Thug
(Minority opinion, probably) If you've got the space for it, the way to go is to get a full cabinet. Post a WTB up here + watch eBay, and you're sure to find a good, working cabinet for at or near the same price you'd pay for a consolized MVS mobo. Under some circumstances, you might actually pay less.

For example, I just got a 1 slot conversion cab, great condition and a good button layout (not all conversions have 'sane' button layouts) for $202.49 on eBay. Seller was 150mi from my house, not to bad.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
mikev08826 said:
Just bought this.

Seems like a good starting point.
Not bad for the price you paid. I don't import from Japan because of the high shipping fees. You should also factor this in when buying.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
$175 is not too bad for a Top Loader and 2 new style sticks, I guess. Congrats on entering the Neo world! I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The great thing about those 2 games is the loading is very minimal on both. Fighting games made after those will be much slower, though.

Now that you're a Neo CD owner, be sure to check out www.egameaddiction.com (used to be neogeocd.net) . Lots of great information about Neo Geo CD, and a really great store.

mikev08826

n00b
Neo Ash said:
Not bad for the price you paid. I don't import from Japan because of the high shipping fees. You should also factor this in when buying.

Yeah, I did factor it in.

Believe me I was hesitant to spend $175 for an electronic piece shipped from japan.

I wanted sticks though...not the pad...Anyone ever played with the pad???
The stick is what makes the neo different...

I'm actually buying 2 old style on tuesday, so i'll get the best of both worlds.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
mikev08826 said:
I'm actually buying 2 old style on tuesday, so i'll get the best of both worlds.

Old style is definitely the way to go. My favorite stock controller on any console.

Those two games you got with the NGCD shouldn't give you too much trouble with loading, but the later KoF's will drive you nuts. Just don't get discouraged and dismiss the Neo Geo altogether because of the NGCD's loading times, that's all I'm saying I guess.

mikev08826

n00b
galfordo said:
Old style is definitely the way to go. My favorite stock controller on any console.

Those two games you got with the NGCD shouldn't give you too much trouble with loading, but the later KoF's will drive you nuts. Just don't get discouraged and dismiss the Neo Geo altogether because of the NGCD's loading times, that's all I'm saying I guess.

Right on. I'm expecting a 15 sec. load time for the older games...and a 45 for the newer games??? Sound reasonable???

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
mikev08826 said:
Just bought this.

Seems like a good starting point.
Good buy long as you have "patience" for... it's load times you should be ok ;)

Still if you ever get sick of it there's all ways, MVS :spock:

Last edited:

KaedesDisciple

Angel's Love ,
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
$175 is not too bad for a Top Loader and 2 new style sticks, I guess. Congrats on entering the Neo world! I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it. The great thing about those 2 games is the loading is very minimal on both. Fighting games made after those will be much slower, though.

Now that you're a Neo CD owner, be sure to check out www.egameaddiction.com (used to be neogeocd.net) . Lots of great information about Neo Geo CD, and a really great store.

That's a pretty good setup to start with. The older games are great to play on the cd. Just one load time and you're done, plus I love the music on the cd games. I second the notion for egameaddiction.com. Bluevoodu is one of the nicest and most reliable guys you will ever deal with, and he's got a ton of cd stuff.

Welcome, friend. Say goodbye to your savings account LOL.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
As for me, I totally lucked out.

I found a dude that lived about 20 minutes from my house that had a 4-slot in fantastic condition. The cab was a bit rough, but the screen, buttons and sticks are flawless.

I paid him $600 CDN for the rig, all told.

I always wanted an arcade machine, and I always wanted a Neo Geo, so I got the best of both worlds. I think it's more magical to play on an arcade cab, myself. Mind you, the collecting is certainly more fun for the AES.

But consider this: when your buddies come by and you have a few beers, having an MVS is like having a pool table. It's something that a crowd gathers around, and everyone has a good time. AES, though technically the same, sort of lacks this party quality.

Add to the the huge price drop between AES and MVS and I was sold. I've been really happy with it since I got it, which was a couple years ago. Don't know too much about CDs, though.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
For 500 you better have got some really good games with it.

HeartlessNinny

Nesagwa said:
For 500 you better have got some really good games with it.

Well, I got Pulstar and Real Bout 2, but those weren't originally part of the deal. In fact, I borrowed them from the guy. I offered to give them back about 5 or 6 times (a name the time and place kind of deal), but he never showed. So my conscience can deal with that.

But I did look pretty extensively for what the prices were at at the time, and I still think it's a reasonable deal. Like I said, it's in fantastic condition. Plus, I didn't have to ship it, pay taxes (sales tax is about 15% here, so buying from a vendor would have cost more), etc. etc.

Basically, I think when it comes to MVS, they're worth what you're willing to pay. The opportunity to buy 'em doesn't come along everyday, after all. I don't think I would have been able to find something so close to what I wanted without having to take a major road trip, and seeing as I have no car, I'm not unhappy with the deal.

Why? How much is the standard for a dedicated 4-slot in good shape these days, anyway?

Capt. Takehiko

Crossed Swords Squire
HeartlessNinny said:
Well, I got Pulstar and Real Bout 2, but those weren't originally part of the deal. In fact, I borrowed them from the guy. I offered to give them back about 5 or 6 times (a name the time and place kind of deal), but he never showed. So my conscience can deal with that.

But I did look pretty extensively for what the prices were at at the time, and I still think it's a reasonable deal. Like I said, it's in fantastic condition. Plus, I didn't have to ship it, pay taxes (sales tax is about 15% here, so buying from a vendor would have cost more), etc. etc.

Basically, I think when it comes to MVS, they're worth what you're willing to pay. The opportunity to buy 'em doesn't come along everyday, after all. I don't think I would have been able to find something so close to what I wanted without having to take a major road trip, and seeing as I have no car, I'm not unhappy with the deal.

Why? How much is the standard for a dedicated 4-slot in good shape these days, anyway?

Closer to 400.

HeartlessNinny

Capt. Takehiko said:
Closer to 400.

I haven't really seen one for that price around this area for a couple years.

But I suppose I may have overpaid a bit... But what's done is done. The bottom line is I play the shit out of that thing, so there you go.

Hope the guy that started this thread's been paying attention. Hey, buddy! Only pay around $400! :annoyed:

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
SouthtownKid said:
actually... it still is neogeocd.net and neogeocd.com :)

click .. you will go there :)
www.neogeocd.net
www.neogeocd.com

I had to consolidate my 3 sites to save time. It became too hard to manage all of them at the same time.

We sure could use more members... and if anyway has neo cd reviews / codes / faqs they want to help with... we accept about anything :)

thanks for the referal :) *you too Kaedes... I Appreciate that

Congrats on the Neo CD purchase! Enjoy it.... it is a pretty nice system.

†B†V†

tep0583

n00b
TerryMathews said:
(Minority opinion, probably) If you've got the space for it, the way to go is to get a full cabinet. Post a WTB up here + watch eBay, and you're sure to find a good, working cabinet for at or near the same price you'd pay for a consolized MVS mobo. Under some circumstances, you might actually pay less.

For example, I just got a 1 slot conversion cab, great condition and a good button layout (not all conversions have 'sane' button layouts) for $202.49 on eBay. Seller was 150mi from my house, not to bad.

I'm right with you on that one.

I paid $350 for mine, but it was local (15miles from work) and came with Strikers 1945.

There are just some games that don't FEEL right, if you play them on anything other than arcade controlls in an arcade cab.

HeartlessNinny

tep0583 said:
I'm right with you on that one.

I paid $350 for mine, but it was local (15miles from work) and came with Strikers 1945.

There are just some games that don't FEEL right, if you play them on anything other than arcade controlls in an arcade cab.

Yeah, there's definitely something magic about the full cab, and not a consolized rig.

As far as I can tell, the only real reason to go Supergun is if you have space issues, but I live in an apartment downtown and I cram my cab in there. Actually, it's right behind me in my bedroom, so as not to be too obtrusive.

I guess if your girlfriend or wife (or boyfriend or husband, for that matter) complains about having a giant arcade machine in the house, that might be a problem, but hey.

At any rate, the full cab puts a smile on my face just lookin' at the damn thing, and that's something I seldom get from a console, at least after it's no longer new.

tep0583

n00b
Hell yeah, man.

My thought on the matter EXCTLY.

The best part is the look on people's faces, when they first see it.