Buy a MVS consolized or an AES?

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
Hi All,

I'm Giovanni from Italy and I'm new here.

I would like your help because I would like to buy my old dream-console, Neo Geo, but I have some questions. I hope you can help me.

The price of AES cartridges is very often really high so I want to buy or an MVS consolized or an AES with MVS adapter.

Questions:

1) If I buy an AES, I read here:
http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/
that the best output signal in RGB is in console with serial between 20.000 and 33.000. I found a good AES (expensive, boxed), but with serial 145.XXX. So, do you think that it is better to avoid it? Is this article true?

2) If I buy an AES, then i need this
https://www.ic2005.com/shop/NEO-SNK-ARCADE-MVS-Magic-Key.html
Do you know if it is a good product? It is declared that it works with all original MVS. Well, but how can I recognize the original from fake/copy?

Otherwise, I will search a good consolized version with a good case :)

thank you very much!

Speed3

Marked Wolf
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I can't comment on which AES is the best because I honestly don't know enough about it. But as far as the CMVS VS AES W/Magic key I believe the general consensus is that you would be better served with a CMVS. There are a lot of options in avaliable in getting a CMVS you could make your own or get a JNX or Omega or one of the many others.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm also interested in this topic but with a standard MVS board + a supergun as a third option.

Basically looking at an option for playing on the TV for a friend.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you plan to own more than one type of arcade board, supergun hands down. If you only plan to play MVS games and no AES games then CMVS. If you already have an AES collection but want to get the more expensive games on MVS instead of AES then get an adapter.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
1) If I buy an AES, I read here:
http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/
that the best output signal in RGB is in console with serial between 20.000 and 33.000. I found a good AES (expensive, boxed), but with serial 145.XXX. So, do you think that it is better to avoid it? Is this article true?

That article is garbage. All you need to look for is a high serial AES, it will most likely have the board revision AES3-6 inside. With a small RGB bypass mod applied, it outputs very good RGB.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Don't buy an AES unless you want to spend thousands on games that cost <$100 on the MVS. Either get a CMVS or a supergun.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Don't buy an AES unless you want to spend thousands on games that cost <$100 on the MVS. Either get a CMVS or a supergun.

While I do love my AES, I agree with this. First I got the AES, got like 5 games for it, then realized the games I liked the most were unreachable for me in AES format, but were very affordable on MVS format, then I got my MVS converter, then an MVS board. Really happy with my choice.

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
Yeah I kind of felt like cmvs or supergun was the better choice.

I actually won an auction for what looks like a MV-1A a few days ago with the express purpose of trying to consolize it.
god help me.png

God only knows if it works at this point (its missing the BIOS chip at the least). I'll test it in my cab and go from there.

I do actually have a Jamma Board (Sunset Riders) and may get more in the future, so a supergun is appealing in that regard.

Is there much of a cost or difficulty difference in consolizing an MVS vs. building a super gun?
Again, don't mean to hijack. Thanks for the advice so far.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Is there much of a cost or difficulty difference in consolizing an MVS vs. building a super gun?
Again, don't mean to hijack. Thanks for the advice so far.
Plenty of threads on here about that if you want to do a search. Or look at someone's sig in this thread that talks about DIY CMVS.

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
That article is garbage. All you need to look for is a high serial AES, it will most likely have the board revision AES3-6 inside. With a small RGB bypass mod applied, it outputs very good RGB.

really!?

Well, I'm searching mvs consolized on the web, some of them has the HDMI output with different resolution. But I think that it is better to play neo geo game on a crt with scart rgb, am I right?

I have also found this https://www.arcadeworks.net/omega-neo-geo-mvs-home-console
It is an mvs consolized with the Neo Geo AES case and some additional options (unibios 3.3 for example). It seems that it has bot scart rgb and HDMI output so I could use it with both crt and lcd monitor, is it correct? But it is really expensive (but then I can buy the games!!!)

Some consolized version has 3.2 unibios, the Omega has 3.3: which are the differences?

What do you suggest? Normale consolized mvs (with hdmi or scart?) or Omega?

thanks!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Unless the HDMI is coming out of an XRGB Framemeister, avoid.

The Arcadeworks Omega CMVS uses a newly molded case, it is not the same as the AES shell. It's a nice choice if you just want a no hassle plug n play MVS unit. Only downside is it's a lot more expensive than a no frills MVS board with AV and power mounted on its original shell.

Check the UniBIOS threads for what's new in Version 3.3.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
For CMVS, go with the Omega. If you are remotely interested in other boards, get the JNX or Windy supergun. Support the community with awesome products!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
An Omega and a Neo Geo CD with Unibios is a really solid combination in my book. A lot of the shooters, sports games, and puzzle games are just as good on Neo CD and they're way, way cheaper.

Mikekim

n00b
ah ok thanks

I also discovered this: http://www.smallcab.net/mvs-161-p-249.html

all the neo geo games!

the 161 multicart is a good base to start from with collecting Neo games, but you will find that the majority of the titles on there are hacked versions of the fighting games and Metal Slugs. there are also sound and graphics glitches on some of the other games.

don't get me wrong the 161 is one of the better ones out there (i also have the 138 in 1, which has a slightly different game list and the option of removing from the menu the games you don't want, but that has its downsides... a permanently attached daughterboard that sits between the Jamma connector and the motherboard, so i doesn't work with a cmvs and the 30 second game load times).

you will find you start out by buying the 161 and then look at picking up the individual carts for the titles you really like..

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
The price of AES cartridges is very often really high so I want to buy or an MVS consolized or an AES with MVS adapter.

I suggest getting a CMVS. You'll save money and you won't have to fiddle around with the MVS Adapter when it's not working properly.