Burned by Boots Storytime

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
So in honour of my first time getting burned by a seller regarding the authenticity of a Neo cart, in my case, a Pulstar MVS where I was too trusting of the dude in the International Arcade Museum forums (a back and forth still in progress), I wanted to hear about how you guys got burned and how you got back at them or learned from it. Also, did you find that your boots could actually be useful in ROM dumps of protos?

Let's hear the details!

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
That sucks.

I just got an all eprom THE ULTIMATE 11 boot in a small lot of NEO stuff.

My exp. wasn't too bad though 'cause I already have an OEM copy of the SS:TU11. So, it was just an extra copy for me.

The neat thing I found out about my all eprom boot cart is that I can re-boot it into all sorts of neat NEO games--kinda like a mulit-boot. :D

So, that's kinda cool, for a boot.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
That sucks.

I just got an all eprom THE ULTIMATE 11 boot in a small lot of NEO stuff.

My exp. wasn't too bad though 'cause I already have an OEM copy of the SS:TU11. So, it was just an extra copy for me.

The neat thing I found out about my all eprom boot cart is that I can re-boot it into all sorts of neat NEO games--kinda like a mulit-boot. :D

So, that's kinda cool, for a boot.

I remember posting in that thread. I'm glad to hear that you can make something out of it. I'm hoping I can do the same with my cart so I can make room for a legit Pulstar when I earn more money.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I've ended up with a few boots over time but fortunately I hadn't paid much for them.

Some sellers unknowingly sell a boot and so in these circumstances you could always contact them and politely ask for a refund :mr_t:

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I one time received a cart that was a boot. It was from a member here. They assured me it was authentic. I could see without even opening it that it was a boot (chopped up eprom visible through the case). Seller made it right instantly and it was really hassle free.

That's the worst it has been for me, so I've faired pretty well :)

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
Im pretty positive none of my games are boots. But I've stopped myself from making many purchases on fear of the game being a boot. Kinda makes collecting Neo a bit of a drag.

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I bought an MS3 boot last week from a local op who took in a small lot of neo carts. He didn't have any experience with the MVS side of the business so when I brought it to his attention he quickly made it right and then verified all of his carts. He send me a Shock Troopers 2nd Squadron in its place, but damn I really wanted that MS3.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I bought an MS3 boot last week from a local op who took in a small lot of neo carts. He didn't have any experience with the MVS side of the business so when I brought it to his attention he quickly made it right and then verified all of his carts. He send me a Shock Troopers 2nd Squadron in its place, but damn I really wanted that MS3.

Yeah...
a st2 definitely is not as cool as a slug 3.
Really cool he fixed things though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Only boots I ever got were from Kingsley on KLOV but when I contacted him he made it right so I held nothing against him for that plus it was the harder to tell from the outside boot, Matrimelee and Sengoku 3.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I got a Puzzle Bobble boot for free... when I bought a SS2 boot for $15.

It was a craigslist deal. I was new to the collecting scene. Luckily the others I bought were legit.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I got a Super dodge ball kit off of ebay, everything was authenic cept the cart.
It really confuses me, why somone would seperate the kit from the cart but at least it was cheap.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I got a Super dodge ball kit off of ebay, everything was authenic cept the cart.
It really confuses me, why somone would seperate the kit from the cart but at least it was cheap.

SDB used to sell cart only for $300 about 12 years ago (whoa). It was common for that game to be bootlegged at the time. It could be a full kit boot someone tried to produce and make a big buck from during that market period. If you've had the contents checked out and authenticated, then perhaps the following could have happened:

About 8 years ago or so an entire case of new SDB kits was located, making it easier to come by (some sold as cheap as $50). Someone may have had a boot from a long time ago (not knowing it), and then purchased the other materials separately for the same price or more than the seller had bought the entire kit for at that time while the seller happily kept his original cart.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
SDB used to sell cart only for $300 about 12 years ago (whoa). It was common for that game to be bootlegged at the time. It could be a full kit boot someone tried to produce and make a big buck from during that market period. If you've had the contents checked out and authenticated, then perhaps the following could have happened:

About 8 years ago or so an entire case of new SDB kits was located, making it easier to come by (some sold as cheap as $50). Someone may have had a boot from a long time ago (not knowing it), and then purchased the other materials separately for the same price or more than the seller had bought the entire kit for at that time while the seller happily kept his original cart.

Thanks for the info.

MadMax37

n00b
I started buying MVS games because of the price difference between the AES carts so I may have a bootleg or two in my collection. They all work so I'm not really complaining. When they sit for awhile, it takes some time to clean them up enough so they run in my system with the Phantom-1. That's the only annoyance.