Building an AV to Scart cable for AES

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I need to make up an AV to Scart cable for a spare AES that I have. As I've not made one before can someone please tell me if I'm on the right track with these components:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=944&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=3&doy=24m2
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43116&TabID=1&source=17&WorldID=3&doy=24m2
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=287&TabID=1&WorldID=2&doy=24m2

Which din connector do I need? The 8 pin circ or offst?
I've already got the connector pinout for the din:

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/neoav.htm

Can someone point me to the pinout for the scart?

Cheers :D

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
you should look in tech support. i asked the same question some time ago. what i would like to know is do you get better quality screen with av or svideo? anybody know?

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Oops sorry Musolini I couldn't find your old thread when I searched. Do you have the link?

I can answer your other question though, kind of! When you say Av it depends which signal you are using from the Av socket. If it's Av to scart then it will use the rgb signal which is the best output you can get from the neo. If it's av to composite then the S-video will be better. You can't get s-video output from the av cable though. You have to do the s-video mod and install a new s-video jack. So basically if your tv supports scart you don't need to bother with the s-video mod because you're using rgb which is far superior.

You could still do the rgb bypass mod to improve your rgb output if you've got high serial number console though...

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
If I remember well, il duce had a Neo Geo CD so it already has a s-video socket.

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Euerk don't ask me about the neo geo cd, haven't got a clue!

thanks for the scart pinout Amano Jacu, much appreciated.

I still can't find Musolini's thread about making an A/v scart cable though.

Well no-one has told me those components are totally wrong so I guess they're ok. I guess I can figure out which shape din connector I need by looking at that pinout diagram.

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
oh right, I found that thread but it didn't seem to answer any of my questions except the pinout for the scart. Thanks anyway Amano Jacu!

Actually while we're on the subject of making cables I was wondering if it's possible to make up a cable for the neo which uses the old RF ariel jack. The reason I ask is I've got an old tv in my room which only has this input. If I could make up a new cable I could play neo geo in my room instead of annoying my housemates by playing in the lounge when they want to watch tv! I realise the output would be very crappy by doing this but the old tv doesn't have any other input.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
so rf is the best. what kind of cable is it and where can i get it. which slot or socket should it be put in behind the cdz. or do you need to mod it to make a connection for it. ive allready ordered my av cable (should come between 4 & 7 workdays) but im still interrested though. unless ofcourse i still get no colour on my jap system with pal tv.

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
No RF is the worst!

JMKurtz said:
1. RF - the crappiest. Combines video and audio over a single wire.
2. Composite. Still crappy, but slightly better since no audio is transmitted over the video wire.
3. S-Video. Better. No audio and video is separated into two wires (chroma or color and luma or brightness).
4. Component Video. A ton better. Signal split onto three wires. One for luma (Y), a second wire for Pb (Blue minus Green), and a third for Pr (Red minus Green).
5. Native RGB - lucky bastards overseas!

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97931&page=5&pp=25

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
MUSOLINI said:
so rf is the best. what kind of cable is it and where can i get it. which slot or socket should it be put in behind the cdz. or do you need to mod it to make a connection for it. ive allready ordered my av cable (should come between 4 & 7 workdays) but im still interrested though. unless ofcourse i still get no colour on my jap system with pal tv.

RF means Radio Frequency and is the worst (hence the "<") signal as both video and sound come though the same cable, is the same as a regular TV antenna. So just forget about it. It should plug in the 8 pin din anyway.

Dreamcazman

New Challenger
Adamaki - Here is the pinout I used to make a SCART cable for a mate of mine. Just note that Pin4 on the Neogeo side is 5v but it is connected to the right place on the SCART end (Pin16)

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hey thanks Dreamcazman! That makes it even more simple than the other pinout diagrams. I'll cross reference the din pinout with the gamesx one to make sure I get it right. :)

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Ok I got my scart cable at the weekend, but I don't know which wires are used to carry each signal. Here's a photo of the cable:

scart cable

Why are there 9 wires? What are the two unshielded wires for? Is one used to ground the plug shields?

Can someone help me out please?

btw if the link doesn't work try copying and pasting it into a new window. It doesn't always work for some reason.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
That cable is not for RGB but for A/V: the wires in the grey sleeve are for audio (L/R in, L/R out and ground). The blue and red wires are for composite video in and out (I bet they're shielded too). Not the most suitable cable for what you have in mind. Does it even pass through the DIN plug?

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Thanks for the quick reply MKL. I just asked for scart cable in maplins and that's what I got, but as soon as I stripped the outer sheath I realised it didn't look like the right stuff. It should pass through the din plug, it's the same diameter as normal scart cable and you're right, the blue and red wires are shielded.

I guess I'll just have to get some more. What exactly do I need? RGB scart cable with 8 unshielded wires and a ground wire for the plug shields?

How about this one?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=287&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=2&doy=22m3

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
Yes that cable would be ok..

Adamaki said:
Thanks for the quick reply MKL. I just asked for scart cable in maplins and that's what I got, but as soon as I stripped the outer sheath I realised it didn't look like the right stuff. It should pass through the din plug, it's the same diameter as normal scart cable and you're right, the blue and red wires are shielded.

I guess I'll just have to get some more. What exactly do I need? RGB scart cable with 8 unshielded wires and a ground wire for the plug shields?

How about this one?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=287&TabID=1&source=15&WorldID=2&doy=22m3