Bring Back MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Holy shit!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

Well, I'm on board.

I hope this takes off. I've been living on old episodes and rifftrax for years now.

It took me like years and years before I could make my self finish watching the final episode because I could kind of pretend it wasn't over.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Before you start throwing all of your money at that Kickstarter, please note that these new episodes are not going to feature any of the former cast members you know and love. They're going to bring in a new host (which all signs point to being Jonah Ray, nebbish hipster doofus and Nerdist sidekick), new mad(s) and new voices for the robots.

While I will be donating to the Kickstarter as a sign of my eternal gratitude to Joel and company for 25+ years of joy and laughter (MST is my favorite TV show of all time and probably the single biggest influence on my personality and sense of humor), I'm not particularly enthusiastic about whatever comes of it.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Yeah, they are pretty clear as to what it will be.

still I'm excited and hope its fun. I know it won't be the same, but some new stuff could be cool if done right.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, they are pretty clear as to what it will be.

still I'm excited and hope its fun. I know it won't be the same, but some new stuff could be cool if done right.

I guess. Joel's been hinting at this thing being a reboot for a while so it wasn't exactly a surprise. However, if Joel and company aren't directly involved (and most everyone else has already said no thanks in a way that reads "fuck off" if you squint hard enough), what makes this different from the thousands of assholes on the internet currently doing a pale MST3k imitation? The fact that they can use the robots and the basic premise without getting sued?

Ugh. I know I'm just a fan who's way too attached to the original show and I should really just relax. And I am legitimately happy that someone finally wrestled the rights away from that prick Mallon so we can get some decent MST shwag and the appropriate people can get paid for all of their time and hard work. Like I said, I'm still going to donate as a way of saying thank you. I just can't help but feel like this is a nostalgia tax (like most of Kickstarter, I suppose).

Looking forward to seeing how the revival turns out in the next couple years from now.
(I won't be supporting the Kickstarter, but I have no doubt it'll meet, and very likely exceed, its main goal and many, if not all of, the stretch goals.)
In the meantime, I've got a new Rifftrax Live to look forward to next month. (And I'm still hoping that some day, however unlikely it may be, that Cinematic Titanic will post the "Doll Squad" episode on Hulu.)

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
I never got into this show but I've heard lots about it. Is there a place to stream the old episodes? Just wanted to see if I might like it.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
WTF is it with people these days who can't let things go?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
RiffTrax is pretty good usually, that’s how I saw The Room.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Hopkins is just down the road from my place. Back when they were a local show, the jokes were more oriented towards local places/events. Was hilarious hearing them toss out lines like "Terror ... at the Anoka County Technical College" or "Meanwhile at the Perkins off Highway 100", which probably doesn't mean much to the rest of the world.