Brand new retro gaming magazine which will include Neo-Geo coverage!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
while a mag like this will probably fail because most small publications like this usualy do within 3 years.

But, as far as advertising is concerned, they might be able to hold through. This is because the readership is so specific. Sure Sony, Nintendo and EA won't be blowing Millions to advertise here. But small dealers of Vintage/Gameing stuff will have an excellent market.

I guess if not satisfied, you can get your cash back.......... I'm going to subscribe.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
I have been looking for a mag like this for a long time. My old EGM's are wearing a little thin. When someone gets their first issue be sure to give us more cautious members here a full review.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
rimm_rs said:
Agreed.

I have worked for 2 major gaming magazines and know the issues. This mag WILL fail. It's sad though.

See even if they can sell 100,000 copies each month, they will NOT be able to attracts many (if any) ads due to circ. size (100k is small; both of the mags i worked for were 200k+ and still small when compared to EGM at 600k or Game Informer at 1.2 MILLION).

Sorry gents. Buy it while you can.

I disagree here. I think it's all about how he runs it. The magazines you worked for might have been too amitious in some ways. I don't think this magazine will be able to have a big office or huge staff or anything. If he keeps the staff small then there's no reason why it has to fail. Also, retro gaming has a big advantage. There's no need to send people out to find previews, no need to test out new software. It's just about love for the games we already own, for the most part. There will be special features and guest writers, but if you look through an EGM and see how much work they have to do, you'll realize that a magazine like this could be done with so many less. Just think about the fact that in next gen games, the focus is 99% on making the games take a long time to beat. The reviewers need to spend massive time on it. For a retro mag you will be doing arcade games, or get people to do articles on games they already know by heart. There's no obligation to review 100 new games. There's an oversatured market now...

Maybe it'll fail, and maybe what I just said is hard to follow (it's late dammit) but I'm pretty sure this magazine can succeed.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I placed an order for the 15 issues. :buttrock:
I have always wanted a mag like this. The only reason I got Game Informer was for classic GI

matrimelee99

NEST Puppet
I sure hope this mag is a success. Since I'm not interested in the latest "American 3-D movie" this magazine is what I need. Anyone remember the one issue of Game Go?

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
well after the gamego fiasco I am holding off my support subscriptions and will just buy per issue where/if I see them. I ended up "donating" a 1 year subscription to gamego for 1 issue several years ago. They might claim to offer refunds but if the publication fails there is no money left to refund back.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Well, I certainly hope it does well.

Why?

Because my Garou review is going to appear in the first issue.

:D :D

I'm going to be writing reviews and articles for the magazine, and hopefully I can get a feature on the Neo. I'm trying to get in touch with Nightmare Tony, Shawn and Tony Marquez to interview them for a pretty large piece I'm going to pitch for the May issue.

At worst, I should be able to sneak in another review and a "little known things about the Neo" article in there.

BloodLust

World Soccer '96
dmhawkmoon said:
http://www.mancigames.com/

Some guys are starting this new magazine aimed at retro gaming. One of my best friends is actually writing an article for them on the game Umihara Kawase. He tells me that the Neo-Geo will definitely be a focus! I know that I am really excited about the prospects of a good retro gaming magazine - hell, a good gaming magazine at all - so I will lend them my full support.
heres hoping this wont meet the same fate as incite and the great ODC mag -drinks milk-

playboycougar

Reese. ,
VanillaThunder said:
Well, I certainly hope it does well.

Why?

Because my Garou review is going to appear in the first issue.

:D :D

I'm going to be writing reviews and articles for the magazine, and hopefully I can get a feature on the Neo. I'm trying to get in touch with Nightmare Tony, Shawn and Tony Marquez to interview them for a pretty large piece I'm going to pitch for the May issue.

At worst, I should be able to sneak in another review and a "little known things about the Neo" article in there.
Wow, just signed up. Can't wait man!

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
playboycougar said:
Wow, just signed up. Can't wait man!

Don't worry, I gave Garou the loving treatment it deserved.

:buttrock:

Last edited:
Looks like it should be pretty cool. I have been getting the Digital Press "fanzine" for a while and it's pretty neat. Quite a few interesting articles with some classic insider info. Being as though Joe is in on it it gets my props. But as with any magazine of this type you have to wonder if this medium is the best route to get the information. With message boards covering individual systems (like this one) how can one outdo the quality of the info in a paper medium. Regardless it has my support but I hope it can turn out to be more than a glorified price guide.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Its definitely time for a change. I get a couple of Mainstream magazines..but there just that, "Mainstream" only and i can't help but think that im missing out on something more. Whether thats Jamma, homemade console, some guys portable Atari, i don't know. So im game and hopefully so is this Retro Mag. Viva La Retrolution, Vivi ManciGames!:buttrock:

dbarrett0928

Banned
retro

count me in...i feel retro gaming needs to be recognized, i thought of making my own retro mag w/ a few buddies of mine b4 but it fell thru....