Boxing thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Joshua doesn't move his head enough. He'll out land Wilder, but Wilder will land the bigger shots and take him out.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Joshua doesn't move his head enough. He'll out land Wilder, but Wilder will land the bigger shots and take him out.

Wilder aint no Klishko though. He won't get through Joshua's defence cleanly. I hope I'm wrong. But that's how I see it pan out

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wilder aint no Klishko though. He won't get through Joshua's defence cleanly. I hope I'm wrong. But that's how I see it pan out

Prime Klitschko (either one of the two) would obliterate either Wilder or Joshua. The guy who lost to Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua was a shell of who Wlad used to be.

Luis Ortiz is a better defensive boxer than Joshua, and a southpaw to boot, and Wilder eventually broke through.

Against Joshua Wilder should be able to time his jab better, and he's at his deadliest when he can use that 1-2 left jab to overhand right combination.

Joshua is more skilled than Wilder but he lacks the athleticism. He's slower, he's less active, he has less power, and in my estimation he has a weaker chin.

And attitude is a big thing. Wilder is in that ring to put motherfuckers to sleep. Joshua is in there to look good for his fans and his sponsors.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Obliterate is a strong word. The klits might have taken care of a pre-prime Joshua, but the guy hasn't even peaked yet. He's still on the up.

Wilder would most definitely have a punchers chance against the younger Borat brother. Vitali would be a tougher nut to crack though.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wlad is a nightmare matchup for Wilder. He has similar size, power, and reach but he's a disciplined, intelligent counter puncher. He'd catch Wilder coming in for sure. Like Ortiz did, except Wlad would have finished him.

Joshua will never be on prime Wlad's level. He's not great at anything. He's good at a whole bunch of stuff but he's not special. He wasn't impressive against Parker, plus he got dropped and nearly finished by a 40 year old Wlad who had previously looked about 321 years old against Fury.

You're right that Joshua will probably get better as he goes along, and he deserves credit for taking some big fights early on in his career. I just don't see him as a special fighter. He just looks great in this weak crop of heavyweight.

But Wilder has special punching power, and that can overcome a lot of deficiencies and it translates to any era. Mark my words, he's going to knock out Joshua.

If Tyson Fury comes back 100% of what he was, he has a chance of outboxing Wilder. But I find it more likely that Wilder catches him sometime late in the fate. Wilder has great conditioning; better than any of the other top heavyweights.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Joshua will never be on prime Wlad's level. He's not great at anything. He's good at a whole bunch of stuff but he's not special. He wasn't impressive against Parker, plus he got dropped and nearly finished by a 40 year old Wlad who had previously looked about 321 years old against Fury.
He just looks great in this weak crop of heavyweight.

That is exactly how I feel about Joshua and he embodies everything that's wrong with the current heavyweight division. Sure, he hits hard and he beat Klitschko but everybody who watched that particular fight saw how unremarkable Joshua was
Wilder - Joshua; my money would be on Wilder. As for Tyson Fury....will he ever be what he used to be....? I doubt it.
No, for boxing entertainment, the other divisions offer a lot more at the moment.
Loma is currently my favorite fighter....fast, precise and probably the most technical boxer I have ever seen.
His record is stained with one loss (somewhat undeservedly), but I'm thinking there is nobody who will beat him in his current state.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Linares will be a huge test for Lomachenko. Moving up in weight class to fight a bigger, stronger, faster, champion is tough.

Loma's loss was just because he took that fight too soon. I don't care how good your amateur record was, fighting a three time world champion in your second pro fight is a bad decision.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Linares will be a huge test for Lomachenko. Moving up in weight class to fight a bigger, stronger, faster, champion is tough.

Loma's loss was just because he took that fight too soon. I don't care how good your amateur record was, fighting a three time world champion in your second pro fight is a bad decision.

For Salido though, in hindsight, it must be as satisfying as when he won a world title.

famicommander

15 Year Member
HBO card tomorrow night

IBF, IBO, WBA (Super), WBC World Middleweight Champion Gennady Golovkin vs Vanes Martirosyan
IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC, WBO Undisputed World Women's Welterweight Champion Cecilia Braekhus vs Kali Reis

Golovkin's IBF title isn't on the line but his other four are. The IBF doesn't consider Martirosyan a contender and didn't sanction the fight. I'm thinking Golovkin wins this one easily, probably a middle round KO.

The women's match marks the first time HBO has ever shown women's boxing. All five belts, the only five major belts in women's boxing, are on the line. Braekhus is the only current undisputed champion in all of professional boxing. Undefeated. She's not a knockout artist though, so I'd guess we're getting a Breakhus UD12. But I don't watch much women's boxing so who knows.

There's also Tony Bellew vs David Haye but I don't get the channel it's on and don't really care.

Last edited:

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
There's also Tony Bellew vs David Haye but I don't get the channel it's on and don't really care.

This is quite a big fight over here in the UK famicommander, gonna be a big crowd in the O2 to see the "fat" scouser take on spongebob squarepants.
Lot's of nonsence been going on in the build up, shoving and bad mouthing at the press conference, there's a genuine bit of needle between the 2 of them i think.
Bellow won the first scrap, but if haye stay's injury free (he did his ankle in the first fight) i fancy him to spark him, haye's a banger.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Neither one of those guys is a blip on the radar in the US. I had never heard of Haye before he fought Wlad, and I had never heard of Bellew until he beat Haye the first time.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Neither one of those guys is a blip on the radar in the US. I had never heard of Haye before he fought Wlad, and I had never heard of Bellew until he beat Haye the first time.

A shame though as some of those local UK grudge matches make for great entertainment. It's way more rustic than what the US offers, but that's part ir the fun

famicommander

15 Year Member
That card De La Hoya put on ESPN last night was a joke. That clown as a promoter has been nothing but bad for boxing.

All the Golden Boy cards are just Oscar setting up his prospects with patsies. And beyond that his fighters are dirty and he destroyed the true Ring lineal titles.

First they sent some guy in there to fight Spike O'Sullivan that:
1. Hadn't fought for two years
2. Was coming up two weight classes
3. Didn't even spar for the fight and said himself lasting four rounds would be a "moral victory" before the fight

And no surprise, third round no mas.

Then the second fight they put a 12-0-0 female contender in there against a 38 year old with a record of 1-6-0.

And finally they picked some random journeyman and build him up to be a great fighter for Ryan Garcia to beat in the main event, but he's just another nobody.

Garcia may very well be the real deal but with De La Hoya around we won't know.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Grow up, fanny. Stop caring about sweaty men more than you care about your own life.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Highlight reel left hook caught Haye in the 5th. He got up but the end was near. Bellew pretty much had the upper hand up to that point, having twice dropped Haye in the 3rd.

Golovkin won decisively, as expected. Maybe just a touch lucky to get away with that last punch when Vanes was clearly down.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist

Wow, that's insane. Pretty big names!

famicommander

15 Year Member
GGG's camp is filing an appeal to let them fight Canelo instead of mandatory challenger Sergey Derevyanchenko next. If the exemption isn't granted, GGG will either have to delay the Canelo rematch and fight Derevyanchenko or vacate the IBF title.

They tried to get Derevyanchenko for yesterday's fight but there wasn't enough money in the fight because of the short notice. Not enough time to sell tickets at a decent price, no PPV, venue change, no time to promote the TV broadcast. Vanes got a quarter million for his beating yesterday and even GGG himself only netted a million.

The only other option would be Billy Joe Saunders, as a title unification fight will almost always trump a mandatory.

Golovkin will fight one of those three next. Probably in August or September.

famicommander

15 Year Member
We got us a hell of a boxing weekend

May 11, Showtime:
Mason Menard vs Devin Haney, 12 rounds, lightweights
Joshua Green Jr vs Glenn Dezurn, 10 rounds, junior featherweights
Adam Lopez vs. Arnold Khegai, 8 rounds, junior featherweights
Alvin Varmall Jr vs. Charles Foster, 8 rounds, light heavyweights

May 12, ESPN
WBA and The Ring Lightweight Champion Jorge Linares vs WBO Junior Lightweight Champion Vasyl Lomachenko, 12 rounds, for Linares' lightweight titles

May 12, HBO
WBO Super Welterweight Champion Sadam Ali vs Jaime Munguia, 12 rounds, for Ali's title
WBC Junior Featherweight Champion Rey Vargas vs Azat Hohvannisyan, 12 rounds, for Vargas' title

For once, Showtime has the weakest card of the weekend.

Obviously the Loma/Linares fight is the big one, but both scraps on the HBO card could be really good too.

Any predictions for Loma vs Linares?

It's a tough one to call for me. I could see Linares winning a decision or Loma by TKO in the middle rounds. If Lomachenko does win this one, he's as good as everyone says he is.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Lomachenko if only because he will he will be very methodical in chipping away at Linares, absorbing or diverting his best efforts whilst working the angles and counterpunching, maybe biding bis time waiting for a mistake to exploit. I expect a tko mid to late rounds

famicommander

15 Year Member
I don't think Linares will make a mistake. He's an excellent fighter. I think his biggest worry in this fight is getting cut. He has a tendency to get cut, and if he happens to get a cut on a punch Lomachenko will just jab at it until he opens it up enough to score the TKO.

Linares isn't going to quit, and I don't think he's getting knocked out by a smaller man in his first fight at 135.

Skill wise Lomachenko is on par with or probably even better than Linares, but Linares has the experience. He knows how to steal close rounds, he knows how to get where he needs to be in the ring, he knows how to find his spacing.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Skill wise Lomachenko is on par with or probably even better than Linares, but Linares has the experience. He knows how to steal close rounds, he knows how to get where he needs to be in the ring, he knows how to find his spacing.

I wouldn't say just probably better. He is better. Linares is a beautiful boxer with pinpoint fundamentals, but Lomachenko is just unbelievable.

I really want to see Loma up against Garcia, but I'll take this fight any day of the week as well.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Any predictions for Loma vs Linares?

Linares is great and he learned from being lazy. I think he is prepared for Loma. He is fast and his punches pack more punch than Loma's. I also think he has got more than a big chance of winning this bout if he gets some big hits in early. If this doesnt hapoen however, Loma will wear him out with his lightning fast movement skills and take this home. I predict this going 12 rounds and Loma taking this home on points UNLESS Linares gets in his big hits in the first 3 rounds.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So the Ring Ratings Panel voted almost unanimously to advise the Editorial Board to strip Canelo of the middleweight title for a positive PED test.

The Ring Editioral Board voted unanimously to take advice of the Ratings Panel and strip Canelo.

Then Ring's new PR guy overruled them both. Canelo is not stripped and the Ring has completely dropped its policy on PEDs, to be reviewed and reinstated at a later time.

I'd say this is unbelievable but it's boxing, and this is totally fucking believable.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So the Ring Ratings Panel voted almost unanimously to advise the Editorial Board to strip Canelo of the middleweight title for a positive PED test.

The Ring Editioral Board voted unanimously to take advice of the Ratings Panel and strip Canelo.

Then Ring's new PR guy overruled them both. Canelo is not stripped and the Ring has completely dropped its policy on PEDs, to be reviewed and reinstated at a later time.

I'd say this is unbelievable but it's boxing, and this is totally fucking believable.

Ring is owned by Oscar so I'm not surprised that one person can overrule.