Boxing thread

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Jacobs done a decent job though. Was impressed. I'm sure he watched the Mayweather Alvarez fight intensely to see how to work it. Canelo will meet a worthwhile adversary eventually who will stop him in his tracks. At least test that chin properly

If you watch the Mexican feed of the fight, I had Jacobs winning 7-5, all my other friends watched it on DAZN and said Canelo won all the rounds. Totally different from what I watched.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I scored it 115-113 Canelo and I was actively rooting against him the entire time. Cards were fair. Jacobs didn't hit him enough.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I scored it 115-113 Canelo and I was actively rooting against him the entire time. Cards were fair. Jacobs didn't hit him enough.

A few of his shots where clean and quite powerful. I thought it was a draw but Alvarez did a little more to tip it in my opinion.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Canelo's chin has been tested. Golovkin hit him clean, Jacobs hit him clean, Cotto hit him clean, and Mosley hit him clean. Canelo stood up to it every time. I hate him but you can't knock his ability to take a punch.

No doubt. His ability to take a shot is not in question. I can't recall the last time he looked seriously fazed. Maybe against Cotto's brother, many moons ago? But he was still on a learning curve then.

I had Canelo up by a couple points as well.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
A few of his shots where clean and quite powerful. I thought it was a draw but Alvarez did a little more to tip it in my opinion.

Ya good effort by Jacobs but just not enough to convince the judges.

famicommander

15 Year Member
No doubt. His ability to take a shot is not in question. I can't recall the last time he looked seriously fazed. Maybe against Cotto's brother, many moons ago? But he was still on a learning curve then.

I had Canelo up by a couple points as well.

Floyd rocked him a couple times but that was from getting 4-5 clean shots off in a row, not from one shot.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Canelo's chin has been tested. Golovkin hit him clean, Jacobs hit him clean, Cotto hit him clean, and Mosley hit him clean. Canelo stood up to it every time. I hate him but you can't knock his ability to take a punch.

I think if he moves up in weight to 168 permanently or 175 he could be beaten. But he has essentially cleaned out 160. I'll watch the Golovkin trilogy fight for sure but I think GGG's best performance is behind him already. And the other belt holder, Andrade, won't beat any of the top 3 of Canelo, Golovkin, or Jacobs.

Yeah you're totally correct his chin has been tested. He's physically as solid as they come and resilient. I think there are boxers out there that can out perform him, who are much slicker. But he isn't going to be knocked down any time soon. Who knows though

famicommander

15 Year Member
The WBC has ordered Vasyl Lomachenko vs Luke Campbell for their lightweight title. This is the belt vacated by Mikey when he fought Spence.

Loma should make quick work of Campbell. This is the current landscape in the division
WBA (Super): Lomachenko
WBA (Regular): vacant
WBC: Vacant
WBO: Lomachenko
IBF: Commey
Ring: Lomachenko
IBO: Vacant
Lineal: vacant

So Loma just has to track down Commey to be undisputed. He was already going to fight him until Commey broke his hand.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The WBC has ordered Vasyl Lomachenko vs Luke Campbell for their lightweight title. This is the belt vacated by Mikey when he fought Spence.

Loma should make quick work of Campbell. This is the current landscape in the division
WBA (Super): Lomachenko
WBA (Regular): vacant
WBC: Vacant
WBO: Lomachenko
IBF: Commey
Ring: Lomachenko
IBO: Vacant
Lineal: vacant

So Loma just has to track down Commey to be undisputed. He was already going to fight him until Commey broke his hand.

They need one fucking belt to rule them all. What a headache

famicommander

15 Year Member
They need one fucking belt to rule them all. What a headache

Having so many belts is really stupid, but it does make it that much more impressive when someone manages to get them all.

Hopefully Lomachenko manages to get them all, just as Usyk did last year. And don't forget we have two reigning undisputed champions on the women's side.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Some good fights tonight.

On Fox:
Title fight: Jarrett Hurd vs. Julian Williams, 12 rounds, for Hurd's IBF/WBA/IBO junior middleweight title
Mario Barrios vs. Juan Jose Velasco, 10 rounds, junior welterweights
Matt Korobov vs. Immanuwel Aleem, 10 rounds, middleweights
Title fight: Stephen Fulton vs. Paulus Ambunda, 12 rounds, for Ambunda's IBO super bantamweight title

On ESPN:
Title fight: Miguel Berchelt vs. Francisco Vargas, rematch, 12 rounds, for Berchelt's WBC junior lightweight title
Title fight: Emanuel Navarrete vs. Isaac Dogboe, rematch, 12 rounds, for Navarrete's WBO junior featherweight title

famicommander

15 Year Member
Just announced, July 20 PPV
WBA (Super) World Welterweight Champion Keith Thurman (29-0-0, 22 KO) vs WBA (Regular) World Welterweight Champion Manny Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KO)

Good fight. Both guys are top 5 in the division and it helps clean up the WBA mess at the division, at least for a bit. I would favor Thurman.

Then we need Crawford, Spence, Porter, and the winner of this fight to all unify. All are great fighters.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Just announced, July 20 PPV
WBA (Super) World Welterweight Champion Keith Thurman (29-0-0, 22 KO) vs WBA (Regular) World Welterweight Champion Manny Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KO)

Good fight. Both guys are top 5 in the division and it helps clean up the WBA mess at the division, at least for a bit. I would favor Thurman.

Then we need Crawford, Spence, Porter, and the winner of this fight to all unify. All are great fighters.

I also put my moni on Thurman but it will be a great fight for sure.
About to watch Hurd Williams

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Williams done beautiful work. Very satisfying fight and outcome.
Hurd looked pedestrian, wasn't able to unfurl his roadmap.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The ESPN fights were good too. Champions retained in both cases.

Hurd has an immediate rematch clause and will invoke it, so when both fighters' cuts have healed up we'll likely see this fight again.

May 18 is a loaded fight night.

Showtime card:
Title fight: Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale, 12 rounds, for Wilder's WBC heavyweight title
Title fight: Gary Russell Jr. vs. Kiko Martinez, 12 rounds, for Russell's WBC featherweight title
Juan Heraldez vs. Argenis Mendez, 10 rounds, junior welterweights
Robert Alfonso vs. Iago Kiladze, 10 rounds, heavyweights

ESPN+ Card from England:
Title fight: Billy Joe Saunders vs. Shefat Isufi, 12 rounds, for vacant WBO interim super middleweight title
Joe Joyce vs. Alexander Ustinov, 10 or 12 rounds, heavyweights

DAZN card from Scotland:
Title fight: Ivan Baranchyk vs. Josh Taylor, 12 rounds, for Baranchyk's IBF junior welterweight title, World Boxing Super Series semifinals
Title fight: Emmanuel Rodriguez vs. Naoya Inoue, 12 rounds, for Rodriguez's IBF, Inoue's WBA (Regular), and vacant Ring Magazine bantamweight titles, World Boxing Super Series semifinals

Wilder and Inoue both fighting on the same day. We gon' see some knockouts.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Saunders vs Isufi will now be for the full WBO Super Middleweight Title rather than the interim belt, as former champion Gilberto Ramirez has vacated to move up to light heavyweight permanently.

Super middleweight title scene looks like this
lineal: vacant
WBA (Super): Callum Smith
WBA (Regular): Canelo Alvarez
WBC: Anthony Dirrell
IBF: Caleb Plant
WBO: Saunders/Ifusi winner
IBO: Chris Eubank Jr
Ring: Callum Smith

Smith is considered the top guy but it's a very competitive division. Hopefully we see some unification fights this year.

famicommander

15 Year Member
The ESPN fights were good too. Champions retained in both cases.

Hurd has an immediate rematch clause and will invoke it, so when both fighters' cuts have healed up we'll likely see this fight again.

May 18 is a loaded fight night.

Showtime card:
Title fight: Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale, 12 rounds, for Wilder's WBC heavyweight title
Title fight: Gary Russell Jr. vs. Kiko Martinez, 12 rounds, for Russell's WBC featherweight title
Juan Heraldez vs. Argenis Mendez, 10 rounds, junior welterweights
Robert Alfonso vs. Iago Kiladze, 10 rounds, heavyweights

ESPN+ Card from England:
Title fight: Billy Joe Saunders vs. Shefat Isufi, 12 rounds, for vacant WBO interim super middleweight title
Joe Joyce vs. Alexander Ustinov, 10 or 12 rounds, heavyweights

DAZN card from Scotland:
Title fight: Ivan Baranchyk vs. Josh Taylor, 12 rounds, for Baranchyk's IBF junior welterweight title, World Boxing Super Series semifinals
Title fight: Emmanuel Rodriguez vs. Naoya Inoue, 12 rounds, for Rodriguez's IBF, Inoue's WBA (Regular), and vacant Ring Magazine bantamweight titles, World Boxing Super Series semifinals

Wilder and Inoue both fighting on the same day. We gon' see some knockouts.

Huge fights tomorrow.

Wilder weighed in at over 12 pounds heavier than his career lightest weight from the Fury fight. That's good news. He should be fighting in the mid-220s, and that's where he is. I expect a savage knockout of Breazeale.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Huge fights tomorrow.

Wilder weighed in at over 12 pounds heavier than his career lightest weight from the Fury fight. That's good news. He should be fighting in the mid-220s, and that's where he is. I expect a savage knockout of Breazeale.

He is fighting a bum though. It's like they put these bums in his way so he can walk over them to pick up the paycheck. It's a circus spectacle

famicommander

15 Year Member
He is fighting a bum though. It's like they put these bums in his way so he can walk over them to pick up the paycheck. It's a circus spectacle
Breazeale is the mandatory challenger. He's the best fight Wilder could get right now, and Wilder will be stripped of his belt if he doesn't fight him soon either way.

Breazeale is #9 on BoxRec.

Fury, who ducked the rematch with Wilder, is fighting #58.

Joshua, who said he could only fight Wilder in the UK, is fighting #14 in the US.

The BoxRec rankings
1. Joshua - won't fight Wilder
2. Fury - Pulled out of the rematch negotiations to fight #58
3. Wilder
4. Dillian Whyte - already has a fight with Oscar Rivas
5. Alexander Povetkin - very old and was brutally KO'd last fight by Joshua. Almost fought Wilder years ago but suspended for steroids.
6. Jarrell Miller - suspended for steroids
7. Kubrat Pulev - suspended for kissing and groping that reporter on live TV
8. Luis Ortiz - very old and already KO'd by Wilder
9. Dominic Breazeale
10. Adam Kownacki

Yes, he'll probably walk through Breazeale but it's by no means a cherry pick. Breazeale has 18 KOs in 20 wins, including against Amir Mansour and Eric Molina. His loss was TKO7 to Joshua.

Last edited:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Breazeale took some hellacious shots from Joshua before being stopped. He showed enough durability to suggest that Wilder is going to have to work for that K.O.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Naoya Inoue obliterated Rodriguez.

Now has the IBF, WBA (Regular), and Ring Magazine World Bantamweight titles. He moves onto the World Boxing Super Series finals, facing WBA (Super) Champion Nonito Donaire. Hard to see Inoue losing but Donaire is a living legend, and a crafty fighter. We'll see how it goes.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Billy Joe Saunders easily won the WBO Super Middleweight title in a boring fight.

Tosh Taylor beat Ivan Baranchyk in a clear but exciting win. Taylor now has the IBF super lightweight title, and will face WBA (Super) and WBC Interim champion Regis Prograis in the WBSS Final.

Gary Russell Jr beat Kiko Martinez to retain his WBC featherweight title. Martinez suffered a brutal gash over his left eye.

Now just waiting for the Wilder fight to start.