Boxing thread

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah, if you read over the past 10 or so pages (pages?) of this thread (not recommended), you'll see I've always said Wilder is rustic and then some. I like the persona, the power but he is much less a boxer than a beast of a man who uses boxing gloves to kill his adversary.
I don't like Fury's spasticated twitch style but after last night I consider myself a fan. Balls like rocks.
I do think the knock-downs where enough to ensure he lost the fight though. He won the fight outside of this, outboxed Wilder and showed him for the flat footed one trick pony he is. But those two drops, especially the brutality of the second one... put it this way, the ref could have stopped the fight in round 12. Had Wilder better skills he would have finished the job then and not winded himself.
Fury definetly is the Lazarus of the boxing world though, in more ways than one.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
How you score the fight to me depends on how you scored the first four rounds. I thought all the ones after that were very clear who won. If you gave 3 or 4 of the first 4 to Wilder, he wins. If you split them, draw. 3 or 4 to Fury, Fury wins.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Fury definetly is the Lazarus of the boxing world though, in more ways than one.

I like this analogy and I like Fury.

How he got up from that second knockdown, I do not know.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The other fights at the venue where kind of unspectacular. I did enjoy the King Kong fight more than I should have.
And I liked Joe Joyce step back and then come back in to execute his opponent

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Damn I wish I could go back in time and have made no prediction for Wilder Fury, could have trolled fanny hard for this one.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I predicted this outcome around page 14 :mr_t:

Good on you.

Fury looked better than I thought he would.

If you're watching a horrible fight, that means Tyson Fury is on his game.

Maybe it's time I give him more credit for his Wlad win. I assumed it was just because Wlad got old, and that surely had a lot to do with it, but Fury deserves some praise. This was a very similar fight. About the same result, except Wilder hit him a bit more due to not being so immobile.

In the rematch Wilder needs to come in in better shape. That's the first time he's ever looked like he was out of gas in a fight. Maybe come in heavier so he doesn't have such a disadvantage in the tie ups.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Good on you.

Fury looked better than I thought he would.

If you're watching a horrible fight, that means Tyson Fury is on his game.

Maybe it's time I give him more credit for his Wlad win. This was a very similar fight. About the same result, except Wilder hit him a bit more due to not being so immobile.

In the rematch Wilder needs to come in in better shape. That's the first time he's ever looked like he was out of gas in a fight. Maybe come in heavier so he doesn't have such a disadvantage in the tie ups.

Don't be so butt hurt, you tried to shut me down, told me I was high. It's all good though, just messing around.
Fury has true fighting pedigree,that's just the thing. Pikeys are not just tough as nails, they've been boxing for generations, and Fury is the real deal.
It was almost a WWF moment when both boxers at the end where calling out Joshua.
And it was really nice to see the amount of respect they showed each other at the end. Whatever the case,both fighters stood their ground for 12 rounds

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I like this analogy and I like Fury.

How he got up from that second knockdown, I do not know.

That shit was straight out of the Creed movie. He was out cold for like 4 Seconds and just got right back up like a man possessed. Most fighters would have stayed down. That's heart.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I've never rated wilder or fury either, but at least fury can move and box a bit, he's got a cracking jab, how the judge's scored a draw begger's belief, fury won 9 rounds easy, he even got up in the 9th and 12th when it looked all over and backed wilder up with some great shots.
If he had a quarter of wilder's puching power it would have been over in 6 rounds.
Like i said in an earlier post wilder's a one trick pony, he's a massive puncher with a massive gob but fuck all else, his tactics were abysmal last night and his corner were crap as well for not telling him to change things up, although that may have something to do with his lack of boxing ability hence no plan B after he fails to blow the guy away with his punching power.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yeah Wilder's corner was crap. And Fury could see the punches coming a mile away. At one point though, he got a little rattled and for a split second it looked like Wilder was about to up the ante. But no.

Watched the Adonis Stephenson fight and he took some shots. Hope he makes it through unharmed

famicommander

15 Year Member
wilder-fury-compubox-punch-stats.jpg

84 to 71 punches landed. That's some garbage ass garbage.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I know they are actually necessary for scoring in boxing, but stats turned everyday sports fans into unbearable nerds.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I know Fami has this hard on for Wilder. Don't know why he does but he saw the fight with his own eyes like everyone else. Everyone knows Wilder throws wild punches and hopes in landing quick knock outs. Yes, Wilder threw more and missed more. What doesn't he understand about the stats.

Why doesn't he just post some more Wilder Gifs.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I know Fami has this hard on for Wilder. Don't know why he does but he saw the fight with his own eyes like everyone else. Everyone knows Wilder throws wild punches and hopes in landing quick knock outs. Yes, Wilder threw more and missed more. What doesn't he understand about the stats.

Why doesn't he just post some more Wilder Gifs.

What the hell are you on about? All I said was it was a bad fight.

cat

I know they are actually necessary for scoring in boxing, but stats turned everyday sports fans into unbearable nerds.

Yep couldn't agree more steve, you can disect and pick apart things, but at the end of the day the beauty of all sports is the unpredictability of it.

Fury getting up like the undertaker in the 12th was class lol i laughed.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I mean the fight wasn't Klitschko Joshua great but it was still a good fight.

famicommander

15 Year Member
What was bad about it, Wilder missing his shots or Fury landing his Jab?

What exactly were you hoping to see?

Neither guy landed more than 84 punches.

I was hoping to see them hit each other. Fury couldn't hit Wilder, Wilder couldn't hit Fury. It was an ugly, sloppy mess.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

I was hoping to see them hit each other. Fury couldn't hit Wilder, Wilder couldn't hit Fury. It was an ugly, sloppy mess.

Well, Fury is going to pick and choose his shots and move around like he did because he wanted to win in the Score Card. I also saw very good foot work from him., He was constantly on his toes. He's also going to respect Wilder's power and not just rush him because he's liable to get rocked if he does. I think Wilder should have been a little more patient and chosen his shots a little more carefully but I don't know if he's capable of that. It was a cat and mouse game which in the end paid off for Fury. If it was Klitschko or Joshua Vs Wilder, I think you would see more exchanges. Fury has this old school style and because he's so big, his reach advantage keeps fighters at bay.

cat

Fami, please, it was an ugly sloppy mess in your eyes because wilder couldn't get his way, fury stuck his jab in his face all fight, he was even doubling it up, wilder got schooled by a better boxer who's got a big reach advantage and used it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Well, Fury is going to pick and choose his shots and move around like he did because he wanted to win in the Score Card. I also saw very good foot work from him., He was constantly on his toes. He's also going to respect Wilder's power and not just rush him because he's liable to get rocked if he does. I think Wilder should have been a little more patient and chosen his shots a little more carefully but I don't know if he's capable of that. It was a cat and mouse game which in the end paid off for Fury. If it was Klitschko or Joshua Vs Wilder, I think you would see more exchanges. Fury has this old school style and because he's so big, his reach advantage keeps fighters at bay.

Yeah I felt this too. It was a tense fight, with a lot of possibilities. Fury for such a big man has a swiftness of mind and body which is unusual. He is somewhat awkward looking but as I said before, he's a proper boxer.
Wilder was looking for the knockout shot the way he always does, but never fought someone of Fury's respectable calibre. He was composed and steady but this seemed to lead to self doubt at points. He should have gone for bust around the fifth, playing mind games with a mentally stronger boxer makes little sense.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yeah I felt this too. It was a tense fight, with a lot of possibilities. Fury for such a big man has a swiftness of mind and body which is unusual. He is somewhat awkward looking but as I said before, he's a proper boxer.
Wilder was looking for the knockout shot the way he always does, but never fought someone of Fury's respectable calibre. He was composed and steady but this seemed to lead to self doubt at points. He should have gone for bust around the fifth, playing mind games with a mentally stronger boxer makes little sense.

Yup, it's funny seeing a big man like that move with such swiftness like you mentioned. Watching those love handles jiggle when he bobs and weaves. He really is a special fighter and just like you said before, If he leaned down a bit more he would really be a force to be reckoned with. I don't know if he could kick his bad habits though. He also has mental health issues like many fighters do but he's battling those demons as well.

Wilder needs to be more patient and stop wasting so much of his energy trying to get quick knock outs. Shit doesn't work against high calibre fighters. When I think Brawler vs Boxer, I always think back to Tyson Holyfield and how frustrating it was to fight someone like Holyfield. It's a habit that most great fighters are able to break. If he doesn't then he's not going to progress in his career. Hopefully he learned something last night.

I also noticed how many wild haymakers he throws were he completely loses his footing. This isn't some bar fight, it's a boxing match.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Fami, please, it was an ugly sloppy mess in your eyes because wilder couldn't get his way, fury stuck his jab in his face all fight, he was even doubling it up, wilder got schooled by a better boxer who's got a big reach advantage and used it.

Then why didn't Fury land any punches? Obviously he's way more skilled but he didn't land shit. They landed a similar amount of punches but Wilder scored two knockdowns.