Blurry text on my LCD monitor

Shingo Hibiki

Benimaru's Hairdresser
The text on my monitor has been really blurry lately. This happened once before shortly after I got it a little under a year ago, but turning it off for a little while seemed to fix the problem. It's only text and icons that seem to be affected. I just fired up Half-Life 2 and it still looked great. I have ClearType turned on. I even tuned it from Microsoft's site with no results.

Is there a remedy for this, or is my monitor just crapping out on me?

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Make sure the refresh rate is set right and/or push the autotune button if your monitor has one. Only thing that comes to mind offhand.

Shingo Hibiki

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Abasuto said:
Make sure the refresh rate is set right and/or push the autotune button if your monitor has one. Only thing that comes to mind offhand.

The autotune button doesn't always fix it, but it did this time. I know the refresh rate is set right. Had some issues when I first got it when running some apps, and that was the problem.

Ah well, I've been meaning to get a new video card and another monitor with a higher native resolution. This may just be the kick in the ass I needed to actually do that.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
If you have the option, use DVI to connect your monitor instead of a VGA cable. Then you won't have to fool with the autotune button again.

Also, see if your video card driver has a monitor calibration screen. I know Nvidia's does. If you use the autotune while that's displayed, you'll get better results.

Finally, try disabling ClearType, and possibly all font smoothing. Some people like it, but I personally find that it hurts far more than it helps.

Lovergoat

, KING of GOATs, Greatest of all time...
Some monitors can have minor spazz attacks and stop communicating with your graphics card correctly. Try messing with your horizontal/vertical position options in the monitor itself, it's a bit of a can of worms but clock and phase may need tweaking too. Just experiment a bit and write the settings down when you hit awesomeness.

just out of curiosity. Is it a tv/monitor or a dedicated pc monitor?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Murray said:
Also, see if your video card driver has a monitor calibration screen. I know Nvidia's does. If you use the autotune while that's displayed, you'll get better results.

+1

Mine wouldn't autotune properly until I put that screen up.