Blast City Club

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
When I did my monitor convergence I do recall there being enough slack in the wiring that I just put a small table next to the cab and set the monitor on that...

Good to know, I'll give that a shot when I'm ready to fuck with it, thanks.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent

Just to confirm, I was able to do the same when I pulled mine. I had to put the table right up against the cabinet and just put it there. I disconnected when pulling then just plugged back up once it was out.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

When I did mine I set the monitor on the floor in front of it, had enough cable slack to do it but on a stool would probably have been easier so you don't have to sit on the floor while you look for your tubes G spot with your strips :-X

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Basically. The blasts amp processes the audio regardless of it it's line level or pre-amplified JAMMA audio. Line level is just amplified by the blast's amp, where as JAMMA is sent to the amp (presumably attenuated) and then re-amplified.

Interesting...so the PSU basically acts as a high/low converter before re-amplifying the audio when using a pre-amplified jamma board...correct?

So, basically both the "speaker" and "line" inputs on the 001 harness are processed by the sound amp in the PSU...which leads me to think that if I wanted to use a Logitech 2.1 speaker system (which I believe has an amp in it)...I should bypass the amp in the Blast's PSU entirely...

So...when using a line level board...unamplified audio should leave the board, go through the 001 jamma harnesses "line" input and *instead* of going to the Blast's PSU amp...it should just go directly to the 2.1 systems amp, leave the 2.1 system as now amplified audio...and then go directly to the cabs speakers (along with the 2.1's subwoofer)...

When using a pre-amplified jamma board...amplified audio should leave the board, go through the 001 jamma harnesses "speaker" input and *instead* of going to the Blast's PSU amp...it should go to a separate Hi/Lo converter to un-amplify the audio...then go to the 2.1 systems amp to be re-amplified...and then go to the cabs speakers (along with the 2.1's subwoofer)...correct?

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Interesting...so the PSU basically acts as a high/low converter before re-amplifying the audio when using a pre-amplified jamma board...correct?

So, basically both the "speaker" and "line" inputs on the 001 harness are processed by the sound amp in the PSU...which leads me to think that if I wanted to use a Logitech 2.1 speaker system (which I believe has an amp in it)...I should bypass the amp in the Blast's PSU entirely...

So...when using a line level board...unamplified audio should leave the board, go through the 001 jamma harnesses "line" input and *instead* of going to the Blast's PSU amp...it should just go directly to the 2.1 systems amp, leave the 2.1 system as now amplified audio...and then go directly to the cabs speakers (along with the 2.1's subwoofer)...

When using a pre-amplified jamma board...amplified audio should leave the board, go through the 001 jamma harnesses "speaker" input and *instead* of going to the Blast's PSU amp...it should to a separate Hi/Lo converter to un-amplify the audio...then go to the 2.1 systems amp to be re-amplified...and then go to the cabs speakers (along with the 2.1's subwoofer)...correct?

I'm confused as to what your asking but I think you are making it harder then it is. Find sound, tap off those wires. That's it :-) you are correct you don't need to send amplified audio to the blast psu, which has a stereo and mono amp in it. Running amped audio to an amp can cause damage so if you have to you turn the gain down so you don't screw it up. If you are running a 2.1 setup though why are you going through the cabs speakers at all? You would be by passing the cab speakers and using your 2 Logitech speakers correct? So essentially the amp up plug that you referenced as mono and line level you change on the 001 loom you could get another connector and plug into that to the Logitech amp then the amp runs the 2.1 speakers, never touching the blasts cpu amps or speakers.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
ahcmetal, when I run JAMMA boards in my net city I have a line out converter (high low converter) on the JAMMA harness. I use that to properly attenuate the audio before passing it to the cabs stereo amp.

If you're going to skip the blast citys amp entirely, I would strongly recommend a line out converter for JAMMA sources. You can hook R+ and L+ to JAMMA audio +, same with the negatives (both R and L negative to JAMMA SPKR -)

Obviously RCA audio from a CPS2 or whatever can go straight to your amp.

basically what you said in your last paragraph ought to work fine.

Last edited:

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I'm confused as to what your asking but I think you are making it harder then it is. Find sound, tap off those wires. That's it :-) you are correct you don't need to send amplified audio to the blast psu, which has a stereo and mono amp in it. Running amped audio to an amp can cause damage so if you have to you turn the gain down so you don't screw it up. If you are running a 2.1 setup though why are you going through the cabs speakers at all? You would be by passing the cab speakers and using your 2 Logitech speakers correct? So essentially the amp up plug that you referenced as mono and line level you change on the 001 loom you could get another connector and plug into that to the Logitech amp then the amp runs the 2.1 speakers, never touching the blasts cpu amps or speakers.

...I suppose I should have mentioned I was just planning to only use the Logitech subwoofer in conjunction with the stock Blast speakers. Reason being the cabs speakers sound pretty decent (just want the added low end from a sub) and I didn't want the 2 extra Logitech speakers floating around inside the cab or god forbid hanging around outside the cab looking crappy...

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
ahcmetal, when I run JAMMA boards in my net city I have a line out converter (high low converter) on the JAMMA harness. I use that to properly attenuate the audio before passing it to the cabs stereo amp.

If you're going to skip the blast citys amp entirely, I would strongly recommend a line out converter for JAMMA sources. You can hook R+ and L+ to JAMMA audio +, same with the negatives (both R and L negative to JAMMA SPKR -)

Obviously RCA audio from a CPS2 or whatever can go straight to your amp.

basically what you said in your last paragraph ought to work fine.

...gotcha...makes sense. Right now I'm thinking skipping the Blast PSU amp may be the most straight forward route...I'll have to look over the cab wiring to see how to do this as clean as possible now...

slampt

Quiz Detective
Hey Folks,

Just thought I would post some progress on my blast city. (Shell is all painted). I have started to put it all back together though I still need some bits before I can finish it off. :/
Can't wait!

*My photos aren't syncing from my phone for some reason so here is a link to my pic on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFTjTrWrboz/

slampt

Quiz Detective
Thanks, just waiting on more bits now before I can finish it. Also Focus Attack are out of stock on the Green Balltops. Sucks when you want everything now! :)

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
What sorta of repro side art are you going to use? Also, if you are in Australia, focus attack can't be your only/best option I'd imagine.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Hey Folks,

Just thought I would post some progress on my blast city. (Shell is all painted). I have started to put it all back together though I still need some bits before I can finish it off. :/
Can't wait!

*My photos aren't syncing from my phone for some reason so here is a link to my pic on instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFTjTrWrboz/

nice. damn seems like my cabs need painting more than ever now...

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
What sorta of repro side art are you going to use? Also, if you are in Australia, focus attack can't be your only/best option I'd imagine.

Aberto has BC side art repros and he's in taiwan. I'm assuming that's his best bet.

slampt

Quiz Detective

Nah wasn't using focus attack for the repro art. There is a dude in AU that does the repro stuff (http://www.noodleshirt.com/) a little more than what Aberto quoted me but shipping is cheaper so the sum is cheaper than getting it shipped from overseas.

slampt

Quiz Detective
Does anyone know where I could possibly get a replacement Billboard Sheet from (HOT-1122 I think) the clear plastic sleeve on mine has been melted (foggy plastic) and no matter what I can't buff it out with any plastic buffing compound.
TIA

lgroppo

n00b
Hi,i'm a new member!
This is my blast city, original Nanao auto switching. At first i installed a Pandora box 4 then, when i realized that the screen resolution of practically every game was wrong and everything looked blurry i started configuring a Hyperspin setup using a Mac mini bootcamp windows 7 64 bit.
It was really time consuming to configure everything properly but... now it's like a dream, really it is a dream.
The blast was in good condition and the screen too, about audio, switching from Jamma mono to stereo in the built in amp has a terrific results, i can't understand technically why but cabled directly to CN5 had GREAT results, audio is more clear and loud than before.
So proud of it!

blast.jpeg

slampt

Quiz Detective
That's amazing! If you have any tips to share please do!
I am in the middle of restoring one. Unfortunately it looks like my IO Board has a bunch of cut tracks. Now I know why the harness was all hacked up..
If anyone knows where I can get a spare one, part number 839-0894 that would be great!

Thanks
Slampt.

lgroppo

n00b
The cab was really in good condition, everything worked from amp to control panel, video ecc ecc so my main problem was the mac mini setup.
I choose that hardware due to heat requirements, small form factor and because it makes no noise at all.
When i realized that the intel integrated graphic card in my mac mini was compatible with soft15hz (the software you need if you don't have an arcadeVGA card or ati compatible card) i found the first problem: attaching it to the JPAC and powering on the blast has a result a disturbed, completely black signal and this was not a jpac problem o soft15hz software problem. This was due to the terrible idea i had of buying a HDMI to VGA adapter. DO NOT use that, you have to buy a thunderbolt port to VGA connector! then you can attach it directly to Blast city VGA or JPAC VGA.

Then even attaching it correctly the signal has not the correct resolution SO i wonder why.. The reason was the display resolution has to be set in windows 7 once attached and in the correct MONITOR (this is the reason why soft15hz see 3 different monitor to setup, mac mini has 1 hdmi and 2 thunderbolt) or it will lose it disconnecting.. so installed Ultra VNC and setting up once attached to the blast from another PC via VNC and the picture was crystal clear!

Then i have a lot of other problems regarding shortcuts, hyperspin hanging, powering on and so on.. but if you have something specific to ask contact me.
The result is so good it's incredible comparing to a Pandora BOX, it really justify all the pain and hours on it.

That's amazing! If you have any tips to share please do!
I am in the middle of restoring one. Unfortunately it looks like my IO Board has a bunch of cut tracks. Now I know why the harness was all hacked up..
If anyone knows where I can get a spare one, part number 839-0894 that would be great!

Thanks
Slampt.

Chempop

Igroppo, Welcome to the forum and congrats on the arcade cab! I have considered using a mac mini for a emulation and steam setup in a blast city before, but the technical know how will be a challenge for me. You have a lot of useful information to share, I hope you stick around and enjoy the forums. What are some of your favorite games you will be playing on you new cab?

Slampt, I'll keep an eye out for I/O and Billboard.

lgroppo

n00b
If your mac mini has an Intel Iris 5100 you should really resume your project. I have a late 2015 mac mini and it has that integrated graphic card so i can confirm it works perfectly (even 3d games like sega model 1,2,3 works like a charm). I will help anyone who should start this so just ask. I spent a lot of times in a lot of arcade forums but really i found a lot of mistakes and no one of them has a step by step guide but if you ask me i can help you. I'm not going to make a guide cause of time but i can answer if you had something to ask and i can share my hyper spin setup if you need it too.

Really i have another arcade cab, the gevin snk, this was my first cab. You know in Italy Gevin has a contract with SNK to produce licensed NEO GEO cab, this is one of the model produced. I "had" to buy one of this because .. you know.. i grew up playing at this thing, it's not the best cab in the world BUT it was the one i played most when i was a kid :-)

My all time VS favorites games are:
SNK: KOF94, SS2, FF2Special, FF3,AOF 1,Garou
CAPCOM: ST2CE,SF3 3rd Strike,SSF2 Turbo
i had also to mention KI1, i love that game, but i really dislike the sequel and the XBOX ONE version.

So me and my friends are always playing at those games.
KOF94 and SS2 has a special "place" in my all time favorites.

Igroppo, Welcome to the forum and congrats on the arcade cab! I have considered using a mac mini for a emulation and steam setup in a blast city before, but the technical know how will be a challenge for me. You have a lot of useful information to share, I hope you stick around and enjoy the forums. What are some of your favorite games you will be playing on you new cab?

Slampt, I'll keep an eye out for I/O and Billboard.

lgroppo

n00b
EDIT: late 2014 mac mini

This is my Gevin SNK Cab, you know when friends brings kids with them, we play on BLAST, kids on Gevin :-)gevin.jpg

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Might buy a blast city cab, it needs some work and is currently setup for the bass fishing game. Is there place to get the proper control panel for this thing? Trying to price everything ill need for this project.
thanks

Chempop

Used Sega panels are quite common, though NOS might be hard to source. A populated 2 player 12 button (2L12B) will be roughly $150-200 depending on condition.

Panel = $75-100 depending on condition
X2 Sticks = $40
X 14 Buttons = $35

Start a WTB thread on zeldadoll market forum first and see if anyone is selling. HKlegend has em too, though the 2player Blast Panel that is IN STOCK isn't a genuine overlay: http://www.hklegend.com.hk/?page_no=3.1&lang=0&show_case=

[edit] Oops forgot to mention you are looking at another $30 or so on a pair of player harnesses and kick button harness.

Last edited: