Betsy DeVos is a shitstain of a human being

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Fuck you, Betsy

Fuck the cunty DeVos's

That's all. I don't think I need to post a link or give context.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The state of education in America is abysmal. There has to be reform - what does DeVos even do?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The state of education in America is abysmal. There has to be reform - what does DeVos even do?

This is about ROI. She and her husband invested a lot in the 2016 election, and the secretary of education office was her reward. Through this she can determine contracts on a federal level. She can divert money from public schools to specific charters which her family owns.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

It’s a power left to the states.

The federal government can make the states follow its guidelines by not giving them money if they dont.

Crom Bless.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Like many things in America, (lack of) money is not the problem with our education system. We spend more than most other countries, even ones that we claim to aspire to. And with the exception of outlier Luxembourg, we don't trail anyone that spends more by much.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Our student loan debt for my wife will be considerable when it's all over.

Many of the people in her cohort are borrowing so much to 'pursue their dreams' in ill advised (I believe) fields of study.

Universities and colleges are largely a waste of time because you get the paper and they sell you all of the enabling illusions of entitlement to go along with it.

The student isn't challenged in these environments. They're coddled. I've watched it happen with my wife every step of the way, and whenever she starts to struggle with it, I don't coddle her the way her cohort does. I challenge her and tell her 'this was your decision. This was your choice. I will help you if I can but you aren't allowed to fail.' She perseveres, she endures and ultimately she carries on.

And I know it's not easy. But I think being in that environment where there is so much emotional validation all the time creates a bad mentality

And the colleges and universities laugh all the way to the bank, churning out more unproductive members of society, screwing them out of a future and not really preparing them for a difficult life.

A degree isn't the end of the journey. It's only the last sentence of the prologue.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Our student loan debt for my wife will be considerable when it's all over.

Many of the people in her cohort are borrowing so much to 'pursue their dreams' in ill advised (I believe) fields of study.

Universities and colleges are largely a waste of time because you get the paper and they sell you all of the enabling illusions of entitlement to go along with it.

The student isn't challenged in these environments. They're coddled. I've watched it happen with my wife every step of the way, and whenever she starts to struggle with it, I don't coddle her the way her cohort does. I challenge her and tell her 'this was your decision. This was your choice. I will help you if I can but you aren't allowed to fail.' She perseveres, she endures and ultimately she carries on.

And I know it's not easy. But I think being in that environment where there is so much emotional validation all the time creates a bad mentality

And the colleges and universities laugh all the way to the bank, churning out more unproductive members of society, screwing them out of a future and not really preparing them for a difficult life.

A degree isn't the end of the journey. It's only the last sentence of the prologue.

Writing classes in the university are coddling sessions, fur sure. Every comment is “I like this thing you did” or “cut off the ending...”

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
My wife's field of study is in anthropology and the humanities. Specifically, the damage that deforestation of the Amazon is causing to the communities that live there.

Melissa has to shoehorn her interests to make it work. Ironically, the teachers all love her because she isn't a parrot.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
America's universities excel in wealth transfer.

Everyone should stop paying their student loans back. They will eventually get bailed out or cancelled.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It's more about how the corporate interests have either gutted the indigenous cultures or pitted them against one another by way of local or government influence.

The corporate incentives to 'responsibly' deforest haven't done much real good and many indigenous communities are at risk of being displaced or vanishing entirely.

My wife's focus is in bringing attention to the northern hemisphere about this issue. It's not her only field of study but her dissertation is tackling this subject.

Her instructors like it because it's a subject that they feel needs more recognition. There is a lot of activism in other areas already so they are refreshed by attention to an area of concern that is being neglected in the current zeitgeist.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It's more about how the corporate interests have either gutted the indigenous cultures or pitted them against one another by way of local or government influence.

The corporate incentives to 'responsibly' deforest haven't done much real good and many indigenous communities are at risk of being displaced or vanishing entirely.

My wife's focus is in bringing attention to the northern hemisphere about this issue. It's not her only field of study but her dissertation is tackling this subject.

Her instructors like it because it's a subject that they feel needs more recognition. There is a lot of activism in other areas already so they are refreshed by attention to an area of concern that is being neglected in the current zeitgeist.

sure, but what I am getting at is the culture of the area before the deforestation reached critical levels. It wasn't a beautiful utopia. My understanding was that there was and still is a problem with (child) prostitution there.

I feel the same way about the Amazon communities as I would about any indigenous communities that faced invasion. An enlightened culture came in, with the unfortunate baggage of exploitative capitalism, to disrupt the conventional brutal savagery of tribal genocide, slavery, and shitting in the woods without a nintendo switch with which to play resident evil.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Her focus is on the corporate influence and invasion of the region putting the indigenous cultures at risk of extinction.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Her focus is on the corporate influence and invasion of the region putting the indigenous cultures at risk of extinction.

I'm not talking about her work, but simply the regional aspects, in general.

Is anyone complaining about how the Roman expansion led to the extinction of Celts, or the Druids?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I feel the same way about the Amazon communities as I would about any indigenous communities that faced invasion. An enlightened culture came in, with the unfortunate baggage of exploitative capitalism, to disrupt the conventional brutal savagery of tribal genocide, slavery, and shitting in the woods without a nintendo switch with which to play resident evil.

I've been meaning to make this War Room thread for literally over a year. But I can't.

Marek

Banned
sure, but what I am getting at is the culture of the area before the deforestation reached critical levels. It wasn't a beautiful utopia. My understanding was that there was and still is a problem with (child) prostitution there.

Pretty odd point you're making.

I assume its just for lulz and toilet RE jokes, but arent you just parroting the colonialist purify the savages mentality?

Why shouldnt uncontacted tribes be allowed to continue on in places like the deep Amazon, Papua New Guinea, Sentinel Island?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Pretty odd point you're making.

I assume its just for lulz and toilet RE jokes, but arent you just parroting the colonialist purify the savages mentality?

Why shouldnt uncontacted tribes be allowed to continue on in places like the deep Amazon, Papua New Guinea, Sentinel Island?

It's something I have thought a bit about and my determination is that I prefer the most civilized people to bear prometheus's torch to the primitive whether or not their ruling class wants it. Let the people see, let them chose, and protect their right to chose your way (and ignore them kindly if they don't want your way, so long as they do not stop others in violent fashion). Primitive tribes may have some value, but allowing them to continue to exist non-peacefully to their own people, or in a way that allows them to oppress and exploit their own people, their neighbors, is not a benefit to the progress of human evolution.

Marek

Banned
It's something I have thought a bit about and my determination is that I prefer the most civilized people to bear prometheus's torch to the primitive whether or not their ruling class wants it. Let the people see, let them chose, and protect their right to chose your way (and ignore them kindly if they don't want your way, so long as they do not stop others in violent fashion). Primitive tribes may have some value, but allowing them to continue to exist non-peacefully to their own people, or in a way that allows them to oppress and exploit their own people, their neighbors, is not a benefit to the progress of human evolution.

Thats interesting.

But to me it seems like the opposite of the "noble savage" train of thought, ignoble savage? Assuming that their tribal life is genocidal and perverse is, to me, a leap. You dont know. No one does. They're uncontacted and thus not understood.

Anyway. I think maybe in a vacuum you'd be right, but realistically what do they get with modern contact? T shirts from the losing Super Bowl team, industrial pollution, strange diseases?

I see where you're coming from in a philosophical textbook way, but reality is a shitty bitch.

And also, in the case of Sentinel island, they have killed loads of whiteys on the beaches, who are trying to land and spread Jesus or whatever else. It sort of mandates violence, to contact them. Is that warranted? And if so, why?

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
sure, but what I am getting at is the culture of the area before the deforestation reached critical levels. It wasn't a beautiful utopia.

Hate was just a legend
And war was never known
The people worked together
And they lifted many stones
They carried them
To the flatlands
And they died along the way
But they built up
With their bare hands
What we still can't do today
And I know she's living there
And she loves me to this day
I still can't remember when
Or how I lost my way

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Thats interesting.

But to me it seems like the opposite of the "noble savage" train of thought, ignoble savage? Assuming that their tribal life is genocidal and perverse is, to me, a leap. You dont know. No one does. They're uncontacted and thus not understood.

Anyway. I think maybe in a vacuum you'd be right, but realistically what do they get with modern contact? T shirts from the losing Super Bowl team, industrial pollution, strange diseases?

I see where you're coming from in a philosophical textbook way, but reality is a shitty bitch.

And also, in the case of Sentinel island, they have killed loads of whiteys on the beaches, who are trying to land and spread Jesus or whatever else. It sort of mandates violence, to contact them. Is that warranted? And if so, why?

Sentinel island is exactly what I was thinking about.