Best world heroes game?

matt009au

Zero's Tailor
I haven't played any of the games in the series, is the series worth playing over other fighters and if so which one would people recommend getting? What elements differ between the games?
cheers.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
For gameplay the last one is the best by miles. Although WH2 has probably got more character and better backgrounds.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
matt009au said:
whats the difference between the jet and normal versions of 2?
Death Match mode disappeared after WH2, which is a real shame considering how much fun that mode was for 2P versus play.

matt009au

Zero's Tailor
what exactly was death match, been reading the reviews in the review section doesn't really explain what it is.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
matt009au said:
what exactly was death match, been reading the reviews in the review section doesn't really explain what it is.

It just added fun little twists to the battle arena if selected in a 2P vs game, primarily in the form of hazards placed on the fighting area.
Examples included:
- a wrestling ring with electrified ropes
- an outdoor area with land mines on the ground
- an arena with spiked walls on the left and right sides

There could be more, but my memory kinda stinks on this topic. Basically, touching any of the hazards meant taking damage so you had to be careful. It also meant that if you timed throws/attacks properly you could inflict an extra bit of damage on your opponent.

The other main difference is that the lifebar was joined together with an indicator set in the middle. As you receive damage, the indicator moves closer to your end of the bar. As you inflict damage, the indicator moves closer to you opponent's end of the bar. As a result, matches would go back and forth a lot more as both players tried to push the indicator all the way over to the other side to score a knockdown. If you get knocked down, shaking the joystick/button mashing would get you back up and return some health. I forget if you can recover once or twice, but you can see how much potential for fun Death Match mode offers.

matt009au

Zero's Tailor
cheers for the info kazuki,
and thanks for the link lonesage i'll have a read, should have searched before posting this.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Other differences between 2 and 2 Jet are that Jet has 2 more characters, a different Boss, and has dashing. But in 2, you have throw reversals (which I love), and you can parry and reflect projectiles back at your enemy (which I also love).

For those reasons, WH2 is kind of my sentimental favorite of the series, but World Heroes Perfect is by far the best game, imo.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
As cheap as the MVS carts are, you can get the whole complete series on the cheap.

I prefer WH2 over all the others in the WH series, I like the laid back speed and the death matches.

WHP is also good and would be my favorite except for the lack of death matches. It is just so similar to other, better fighting games without really bringing anything new to the table. Death matches were what really made this series shine and would have been great in this game with the improved speed and responsiveness.

WH2J, just OK --> nothing really exceptional, lost the death matches but gained a crappy new mode and a speed increase.

WH, if you played the game while waiting for a SF cab to become free back in the arcades back when the game was new then you'll still enjoy this one. If you have never played it before then you won't dig it. WH is really all about nostalgia. Really slow pacing and light char roster, but it does have death matches!

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
World Heroes Perfect, don't even bother with the first three.

Fuuma-chan

Crossed Swords Squire
WoodyXP said:
Get them all.
Or, possibly, if you can't get them all on cartridge for whatever reason, there's always the Anthology disc for PS2 coming out in spring... :spock:

And I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Aggressors of Dark Kombat/GanGan... be that as it may, I will always consider it a part of the WH series... though kinda like a "gaiden" thing.

And FWIW, WH2 is my sentimental fave of the series as well. Never got a chance to play Perfect (hopefully I won't have to wait until spring, but I won't hold my breath, either)... :(

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The first one has sentimental value for me. So, I guess it's sort of my favorite. But from a gameplay standpoint, Perfect is killer.

Get 'em all. Perfect is the only one that will cost more than $10 or so.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
topher said:
WH, if you played the game while waiting for a SF cab to become free back in the arcades back when the game was new then you'll still enjoy this one. If you have never played it before then you won't dig it. WH is really all about nostalgia. Really slow pacing and light char roster, but it does have death matches!

That's how I discovered WH way back. :lolz: Glad I did, too...

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
topher said:
This is the main reason I played Mortal Kombat II as much as I did. :p

Back on topic, I've always liked World Heroes Perfect myself. As others have said though, might as well get them all.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I never played the World Heroes games in the past, but I recently sat down and played all of them in order.

I think Perfect is probably the better overall balanced fighter, although for a simple one player game I had more fun with World Heroes 2 Jet.

Fuuma-chan

Crossed Swords Squire
topher said:
If you played WH while waiting for a SF cab to become free in the arcades back when the game was new...
Haha, been there, did that, totally pwned using Brocken... El Cheapo the Magnificent! :lolz:

Of course, when I got my AES two years later, and my own copy, Fuuma became my main.

And I never looked back. :p

matt009au

Zero's Tailor
I picked up jet last week, must say even though people here don't seem to rate it as good as the others im really enjoying it. Its great fun to play something new with mates. I found myself likeing the 2 button system as well reminds me of playing a neo pocket game. But first impressions are great, can't belive i overlooked this series for so long.

Fuuma-chan

Crossed Swords Squire
I have a suspicion that, come spring, there will be more than a few doubters turned believers... :p

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Luna Yagami said:
I have a suspicion that, come spring, there will be more than a few doubters turned believers... :p

Doubtful. How's that old saying go? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Never had a problem with the speed nor the original button layout for this series, which is why most hate the first 3 games.

While Perfect is good for what it is, I've found more than enough problems with the game to consider it far from the best in the series.

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
I wouldn't spend too much time playing the World Heroes series as there are much better 2D fighting games on the Neo Geo.

Fuuma-chan

Crossed Swords Squire
YeldellGW said:
Doubtful. How's that old saying go? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
Oh, I don't know about that... I can make quite the persuasive argument at my local independent game shop (yes, they still exist). And there's plenty of time to drum up the local hype. There are more 2-d fighting geeks in my area than one would suspect (I think that Game Zone might play a little role in this).

So far, I've helped sell about a dozen copies of KoF XI, have sparked interest in N*GBC, and convinced the shop's owner to keep a couple of copies of FFBA and AoFA on the shelves through the holidays (I used to work there, and he trusts me). People aren't too averse to picking up a collection disc that has 3-4 games on it for $15-$20. But the one-game discs (KoF XI etc.) aren't really a hard sell either. If they want to try it out, we direct them to the Liberty Tree Mall, which has an arcade with KoF XI in it. :p

Not to mention that I'm finally getting my second NGH from there... ;)

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
Luna Yagami said:

So the Anthology comes out in the Spring? Good thing I didn't buy Gorgeous, then.

It'll be nice to have all the WH games.