best way to go mvs

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
im looking into going mvs mostly so i can pick up the early metal slugs and ninja master's.

So what I'm wondering is whats the best way to go about it. Should I get a phantom converter or go the extra mile and get a supergun.

Any feedback is apriciated. Thanks in advance!

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
you could also get a consolized mvs board. just click the links, that i put in my sig. :D

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
you could also get a consolized mvs board. just click the links, that i put in my sig.
Those look awesome. But I think they're a little too much for me. I dont think Id have the skill to put one of those together.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
DAMN supergoose now those consolized super guns are hot! <shakes head wondering why he went AES>

How much does it cost to put those things together? I planned on getting a Phantom-1 later, but maybe consolized supergun is better. What I REALLY wanted was a cab, but alas I move around to much to own one. My Neo has to be college friendly.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
the ones, i sold were about $350 including the mv-1fz or mv-1a board itself, one jrok rgb encoder, one uni-bios chip, one jameco power supply and insured shipping from germany to the usa.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Now will the old-style controllers work for your superguns? Also can I hook a regular TV, or do I need to use a computer monitor?

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
you can use old style sticks, new style style sticks and cd pads. prolly the mahjogg controller, too.
and yes, you can hook it up to a normal northern american tv, that accepts s-video. (or composite video, if it's really needed)

CDiablo and Magnaflux might also be able to let you know about their opinion.

CDiablo

n00b
I bought a consolized MVS from Supergoose79 and it cost me way less than:

a) A full arcade cab
b) A Neo with Phantom 1
c) Supergun and a MVS system

If you want to get into MVS this is the best way to go. It is compact (a bit larger than a neo system) and has RCA and (excellent)S-Video quality + you can play on your TV without a bulky gun. You should PM supergoose79 with what you want and he can build it with great quality and a good price.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
DAH! My head is all mixed up now, should I go MVS?! I spent so much time carefully picking a quality AES system, it even cam boxed! Thanks alot guys for messing my head! j/k :)

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
It all depends on what kind of money you want to spend. Since my MVS cab died, I have bought another AES and a Phantom-1. It allows me the flexibility of collecting both formats. If you already have a lot of AES carts, that would probably be your best bet.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Ghost-Dog:
It all depends on what kind of money you want to spend. Since my MVS cab died, I have bought another AES and a Phantom-1. It allows me the flexibility of collecting both formats. If you already have a lot of AES carts, that would probably be your best bet.
I will probably go Phantom-1. Those consolized MVS boards are pretty fucking sweet though, I must admit.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Considering you already have an AES I would say the Phantom 1 would be a good choice. Unless you want to get out of the AES all together ? Then you could sell it off and go strictly MVS in some form.

You will get the best of both worlds with the Phantom 1 from a collecting standpoint though I think.
Besides there is always the future as far as getting a cab goes wink

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
I definitely want a cab later in life. Its been my dream since I was a little boy. I love my AES, its my first Neo purchase ever! Decisions, decisions, decisions. Do I get a Phantom-1, KOF96, or NGPC in the month of June? My wallet and paycheck will make the final decision on this one I'm afraid oh_no

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
ThePunisher:
im looking into going mvs mostly so i can pick up the early metal slugs and ninja master's.

So what I'm wondering is whats the best way to go about it. Should I get a phantom converter or go the extra mile and get a supergun.

Any feedback is apriciated. Thanks in advance!
Punisher, this is all you need to know: get an MVS cab. I got one and they are godly. if you could find one in your area for a good price I would pick that over a phantom or supergun any day.

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
Punisher, this is all you need to know: get an MVS cab. I got one and they are godly. if you could find one in your area for a good price I would pick that over a phantom or supergun any day.
hmm it would be awesome but I dont think there's one in my area. An arcade near me had one but got rid of it like two years ago. I might stop by and ask em about it.

If not I guess It'll be phantom-1 for me. I need the versatility. I like my inserts and manuals to much to go pure mvs.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
ThePunisher:
hmm it would be awesome but I dont think there's one in my area. An arcade near me had one but got rid of it like two years ago. I might stop by and ask em about it.

If not I guess It'll be phantom-1 for me. I need the versatility. I like my inserts and manuals to much to go pure mvs.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
eek! ...you live in Queens!........check your Email.

unite2k

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'd say a consolized MVS board,
check out the Silver Shadow IV

<a href="http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=290650" target="_blank">http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=290650</a>

and my other post reviewing the system:

<a href="http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=008934" target="_blank">http://www.neo-geo.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=008934</a>

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
unite2k I'd say a consolized MVS board, check out the Silver Shadow IV
don't forget to mention, that you 300pounds monster doesn't have a power switch. lol

btw : it's not a shadow4. it's just a consolized 4-slot.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Wow, those all look mighty nice. As you can see I'm a newbie, and I've been wanting to get into Neo-Geo since I was a youngin.

Where are some websites where I can buy them? I have no skills on making anything so I would just be well off buying one, how much do they go for? 300? 400?

I don't care about how many slots the thing has, as long as I can just hook up an MVS to my TV and I can use one of my joysticks on it, I will be fine.

grandmascrack

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
what im still not understanding is why not just do a supergun? not only can you play MVS on it, cant you play other JAMMA compatible games on it as well? isnt that alone better? am i missing something?