Best versions of KOF 99 and 2000?

I thinking about picking up either KOF 99 or 2000, but I don't know what the best version to pick up is. I'm assuming the best is the Neo Geo original, but the arranged soundtracks on the PS2 and DC versions seem enticing... but I don't want those if the game itself just isn't quite as good in the ports. So, which is the best option here?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I'm not a KoF99 fan, especially, but common opinion seems to be that the Dreamcast port, King of Fighters Evolution, is solid.

Clessy

Banned
KOF 99 Evo is the best version of 99. Enchaned backgrounds and new characters. Also has cd quality arranged music and very reasonable load times.

Bang for buck i'd get 2000 on DC also as it can be had for around $30 and is just as good as the aes plus with arranged music.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Evolution can be had for less than $30, can't it? Hell, I have a copy sitting aruond for Dreamcast, and I woulda sold it for less than $30 a while ago!!

I'm not necessarily concerned with bang for the buck here, but if the DC version is honestly as good as the AES, but has arranged soundtracks, yeah, I'll get that.

But, that actually seems kinda surprising to me, since I have the Japanese DC version of Last Blade 2 and it feels kinda... off.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
I'm not necessarily concerned with bang for the buck here, but if the DC version is honestly as good as the AES, but has arranged soundtracks, yeah, I'll get that.

But, that actually seems kinda surprising to me, since I have the Japanese DC version of Last Blade 2 and it feels kinda... off.

Hell, I'll trade you a complete, good condition copy of US Dreamcast copy of KoF Evolution for your Japanese Last Blade 2, if you want.

Clessy

Banned

Yeah for some reason the port of LB2 is of the Neogeo CD version. Hence its missing effects and animation on the DC.

doctor_shred

Zero's Secretary
I can vouch for Kof 99 Evolution on the DC too. It plays very well with the DC Arcade Stick.

Haven't played 2000 on the DC as much but it seems pretty solid as far as I can remember.

I got all my DC SNK ports for around £10 (about $15 USD) so with a bit of hunting there's excellant value to be had.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Best versions of KOF 99 and 2000?
I thinking about picking up either KOF 99 or 2000, but I don't know what the best version to pick up is. I'm assuming the best is the Neo Geo original, but the arranged soundtracks on the PS2 and DC versions seem enticing... but I don't want those if the game itself just isn't quite as good in the ports. So, which is the best option here?
At least if you get the Neo Geo versions, you know there's nothing missing or not quite right. The PS2 and DC versions might have arranged soundtracks, but personally I prefer the arcade soundtracks and backgrounds. What I've found with ports to PS2, there's endless ways the company doing the conversion can stuff it up.
If you grew up with the SNES and Genesis(like me), you're wary of any arcade port, no matter how good it's supposed to be.