Best size for a laptop?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Which do people think is the best screen size for a laptop- 15" (15.6), 17" (17.3), or something smaller (for more portability)?
Personally, I think 17" would be better for some people than 15". If you have a big external monitor (working from one screen to another), you are still better off if you laptop screen is bigger.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
How big is your lap?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I bought one with a pretty big screen and kind of regret it now as that makes it unwieldy to use/carry, especially in comparison to my tablet and cellphone. It's your choice, but, I'd recommend a medium or smaller sized one for that reason.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I bought one with a pretty big screen and kind of regret it now as that makes it unwieldy to use/carry, especially in comparison to my tablet and cellphone. It's your choice, but, I'd recommend a medium or smaller sized one for that reason.
Stupid answer aside, I agree with this.

I'm thinking the same on my next phone too, I've been carrying round a galaxy note for years and I'm thinking I just don't need a phone this big bulging out of my pocket.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I don’t like to carry around too much. I like 13” or so but resolution and quality of screen are more important. A 13” Lenovo or Dell like the ones you get on loan from work compared to a higher end machine ($1000+)…night and day when it comes to being able to read the screen. Cheap trackpads also suck. Higher end laptops use glass trackpads, cheap ones use that greasy rubber pad…

I don’t use a laptop at home really. I have a 21” 4k iMac I use for my main stuff, real mouse, mech keyboard which is why I don’t need a giant ass laptop. I mainly just use my MacBook for DJ-ing which it is very good at, despite being from 2008.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
13" all day
This work 16" mbp is killing me

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Really depends. A 17 inch screen definitely makes it less portable. Then again, if you are using it for anything involving small text, you need the bigger screen.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
13.3 to 14 inch laptops are the best balance of portability and usability IMO. you can look at something like the Dell XPS product line (what I bought), since those laptops have larger screen sizes but smaller overall footprints. Their 15" laptop has a 15" screen but the footprint of a 14".

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
didn't you ask this question before? are you going through your rolodex of small talk topics?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
in general? 17"
with no context for usage, it's really just a guess...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I don’t like to carry around too much. I like 13” or so but resolution and quality of screen are more important. A 13” Lenovo or Dell like the ones you get on loan from work compared to a higher end machine ($1000+)…night and day when it comes to being able to read the screen. Cheap trackpads also suck. Higher end laptops use glass trackpads, cheap ones use that greasy rubber pad…

I don’t use a laptop at home really. I have a 21” 4k iMac I use for my main stuff, real mouse, mech keyboard which is why I don’t need a giant ass laptop. I mainly just use my MacBook for DJ-ing which it is very good at, despite being from 2008.
I agree, the quality of the screen also matters. IPS and OLED are better then the normal LCD. But OLED you can only get it in the 15" size.
It's better to use a mouse with a laptop (the MX Master 3 is a good cordless mouse).

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I think you should ask yourself if you really "need" a laptop.
I'm betting most folks could get by just fine with a tablet and a mini wireless keyboard.
Unless you have actual work to do, then I'd say 10" to 13".

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'd buy a Chromebook if I was just web surfing

Tablets are dead

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
14" is the maximum for me, any bigger and it's just too big to be convenient to put in a bag and take anywhere.

These days I prefer 13", 12.5" and 12" screens for laptops.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I think you should ask yourself if you really "need" a laptop.
I'm betting most folks could get by just fine with a tablet and a mini wireless keyboard.
Unless you have actual work to do, then I'd say 10" to 13".

I really hate tablets. They are impressive, more impressive every year, but always miserable. They can’t do “real work”, as in they cannot run real programs, keyboard use is a PITA, you’re always trying to pose the thing in some way that you can see it without holding it but it won’t stand up…just one annoyance after another.

Personally, I don’t need anything between a laptop and a phone. But I don’t waste my life on Facebooking and Netflixing, those sorts of passive activities were you mainly just stare at the screen. If I’m “computing” then I’m either making something or fighting with some asshole online, both need a real computer (actual storage, full sized apps, etc) or at least a real keyboard.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Screen size doesn't really matter to me. Whatever has a full num pad is what I want.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
A 17 inch laptop screen is for a desktop replacement that you occasionally move.

Agree with others that you want 14 or less as a true portable. 11 is too small to be usable imo for serious work.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
13" definitely, had a 15" one as well but got rid of it because it's so clunky.