Votes: 15 53.6%
  • New Commers! Bitch!

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Real Bout 2 was the best Real Bout. But Mark of the Wolves is easily better than any of the Fatal Fury's.
You could have had Fatal Fury 3 on your list, that was a Real Bout game (as far as it's graphics and gameplay).

Lol... @everyone who shares joe8's feelings.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
I've played both of these extensively for 10 or so years, and there's not one I really prefer over the other overall, but in the gameplay department, I really think Real Bout Special is better. We had a few side tournaments of the game here in St. Louis, and I can say that it's a pretty exciting tournament game.

I know that most people jump on the RB2 bandwagon for "tournament play" but the facts just don't add up to make it worthwhile over Real Bout Special. Both games contain infinite combos, both games have glitches and both games have the same gameplay variety really. Real Bout Special technically has more characters when you factor in the EX versions of certain characters. These EX versions have different movesets and play very differently (and aren't really overpowered for competitive play). As far as balance goes, I don't really see how RB2 is better balanced. Both games have a small top-tier, but both games overall are balanced enough to give most characters a fighting chance.

I'd say RB2 is actually the less tourney worthy of the two, because some stages have line switching and some don't. Combo execution is a little easier in RB2 (I think it might be because of the slight increase in speed) and, really, if you want to get down to numbers, RB2 actually has less characters.

Aesthetically speaking, RBS blows RB2 out of the water, but game play wise the two games are just sides of the same coin. I've seen RBS in a competitive tournament scene and it's a riot.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The RB2 Bob Wilson infinite is pretty easy, and I don't play much RB2. RBS is one of my favorite fighting games in general though.

Hey, NeoEsz. What infinites are in RBS? I'm not disputing the existence, I just didn't know of any and would like to learn some.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
i love Real Bout Special. 2 is good, but special has the edge in my eyes.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I've played both of these extensively for 10 or so years, and there's not one I really prefer over the other overall, but in the gameplay department, I really think Real Bout Special is better. We had a few side tournaments of the game here in St. Louis, and I can say that it's a pretty exciting tournament game.

I know that most people jump on the RB2 bandwagon for "tournament play" but the facts just don't add up to make it worthwhile over Real Bout Special. Both games contain infinite combos, both games have glitches and both games have the same gameplay variety really. Real Bout Special technically has more characters when you factor in the EX versions of certain characters. These EX versions have different movesets and play very differently (and aren't really overpowered for competitive play). As far as balance goes, I don't really see how RB2 is better balanced. Both games have a small top-tier, but both games overall are balanced enough to give most characters a fighting chance.

I'd say RB2 is actually the less tourney worthy of the two, because some stages have line switching and some don't. Combo execution is a little easier in RB2 (I think it might be because of the slight increase in speed) and, really, if you want to get down to numbers, RB2 actually has less characters.

Aesthetically speaking, RBS blows RB2 out of the water, but game play wise the two games are just sides of the same coin. I've seen RBS in a competitive tournament scene and it's a riot.

I'll admit I came in late on RB2 and played RBS since 1998 on Saturn, but from the competitive scene I hung around the differences were in the toned down moves on certain characters. Now I know Andy and Joe are way less potient in RB2 and Kim was nerfed silly. The thing I never saw with get togethers in RB2 is ridiculous overpowered character B.S. (Other then Tung Fu Rue but to me the character is just silly strong) like Kevin Rian is in MOTW. RBS is not as bad but it just seemed to have more opportunities for ridiculous turnarounds from supers that work too well. This is just my opinion and I never played a giant sample size since most people I played with were more into other games. Also remember I prefer RBS between the 2 just feel RBS is better played casually of the 2. Though most SNK games have stupid infinite crap going on in their games.

andsuchisdeath: It's not infinities per say, but there is a nice 100% combo videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-EW59Quz1M

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Glad to see RBS back up in the lead again. RBS just gets everything right.

I play all 3 Real Bout games, and I'd have to say Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 is my favorite just because of it's speed and how nicely it controls.

Real Bout 1 is good hilarious fun, ring outs are pretty dumb, but they make the game way more intense. Of the three Real Bout games, RB1 had the most stupid version of Kim, Blue Mary was also really insane in this game, and Franco was pretty much the ring out King. I really hate the way the background/foreground works in this game, it's way too slow, and you're completely defenseless to boot. If you knock the opponent into the background/foreground, you can punish them super hard for it, often leading to easy ring outs.

Real Bout Special is great with it's character variet, although having a non-playable/banned Geese sucks alot. EX characters are alot of fun, especially Mary. Tung Fu Rue is a real beast in this game, and Laurence Blood is really good too compared their RB2 versions. I just wish the game was faster and some commands in this game are pretty wonky. Kim is still retarded, although a less so than compared to RB1.

Real Bout 2 on the other hand I think is just the most solid of the bunch. Like I mentioned before, it's fast, it controls really nicely, and the commands for moves are streamlined and alot easier to do. I much prefer the RB2 versions of characters such as Andy, Joe, Franco, Mary Billy, Bob, Yamazaki and Hon-Fu. The Line Sway/Plane Shift system I enjoy more in this game since movement in and out of the background is faster, and it's a great Okizeme tool as well. I also prefer the combo system of this game, as there are way more chain combo's possible along with more cancelable moves, and feints are more useful too. I think giving P-Power moves a "super pause" was a step in the right direction too, since they all combo way easier now. I'll also say RB2 has my favorite version of Blue Mary, she just turns into a total monster when she uses her P-Power, Escalation. I'm fond of Geese in this game as well (Fuck Nightmare Geese!), although they took away Jaiken and Shippuken, he's now more reliant on his command throw(s) and his pursuit attack, along with being able to kara-cancel his back+B into anything. Which is yet another thing I like about this game, the number of kara cancels that exist, especially Mary's Kara M.Typhoon. I think this game would be really good if it just had real tick throws and maybe some kind of guard crush (both things Garou:MOTW implemented) since high level RB2 can get pretty defensive and it gets tough cracking open an opponent, especially if they are Kim or Billy and just Breakshot you all day. That's the last thing I wanted to mention, Breakshots were way harder to use in RB1 and RBS, but in RB2 they are way easier to use, and many characters have multiple breakshots, some of them supers even, and boy are they deadly... they are great if you are being presured and wanna break out some damage of your own, but being on the receiving end of one from a turtling opponent sucks lol.

Also, I see alot of people in this thread mentioning Garou:MOTW... which while I think is a great fighting game, I don't think it's a worthy successor to Fatal Fury at all in the gameplay department. Coming from RB2, it just feels really stripped down and I think Break Moves and Feints are a little too good in MOTW.

In Versus Play, you will always fight in stages with line switching, unless you activate a dip switch to allow fighting in 1 line stages, so it's really not much of an issue.

Combo execution is easier in RB2 definitely though, mostly because of the very generous input buffer window, on top of commands being more streamlined.

Now I know Andy and Joe are way less potient in RB2 and Kim was nerfed silly. The thing I never saw with get togethers in RB2 is ridiculous overpowered character B.S. (Other then Tung Fu Rue but to me the character is just silly strong) like Kevin Rian is in MOTW.

I disagree, Andy and Joe are pretty solid in RB2, and Kim... nerfed? No way. Kim is ridiculous in RB2, easily Top 5.

And Tung Fu Rue is probably one of the weakest characters in RB2, he was way better in RBS for sure.

I'll say though... while Rick is like the most overpowered ridiculous character in RB2, I think he's one of the best boxers SNK ever designed next to Rob Python. Screw Vanessa though.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ Andy and Joe I agree are still good. Andy I still can main still, but Joe is a lot harder to work with. Kim........ I need to get GGPO going to get some matches with you to show me what you are talking about. Considering my Real Bout skills are not the greatest I'm sure you could kill me with bottom 5, but seriously Top 5? Really?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
so, special won - maybe there's some justice in this world after all.

Kim........ I need to get GGPO going to get some matches with you to show me what you are talking about. Considering my Real Bout skills are not the greatest I'm sure you could kill me with bottom 5, but seriously Top 5? Really?

Let me put it this way, Kim in RB2 has the easiest 45-50% combo in the entire game.

vishema

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Thanks to everyone for voting and voicing your opinions. I really appreciate the feedback. After some honest deliberation, thanks to your votes, the choice is simple; I'm buying both games. However, due to funding the last KoF monthly at Arcade UFO out of my own pocket, I will get special first(because it won,) then save up for 2.

Again, Thanks everyone! :beer:

Last edited: