Best non-fighters? (+ hello!)

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
Hi there! I'm a long time lurker on these forums but having just re-acquired an AES after about 15 years without one, I'm looking to start collecting, playing and talking Neo Geo games once more!

Now, I love fighting games (I'd be mad to get a Neo if I didn't) but I'm looking to build a collection that has a lot of variety so I'd be interested to hear all of your opinions on this topic*.

I thought it would be fun if everyone shared their favourite AES games in the following genres - or added their own if you think I've missed any...

Platformer
Shoot-em-up
Run n Gun
Racer
Sports
Puzzle
Other

(I realise that some of these might not have many entries but it would still be great to hear your thoughts)

*I'm sure this topic has come up many times before over the years. Hopefully it's okay to talk about once more.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Congrats. Since you are going the aes route you should have no problem finding these titles on the cheap.

For platformer I would go with sengoku 3.
Shtmup Pulstar
Run N Gun Metal Slug 3
Racer Over Top
Sports Ultimate 11.
Throw in a SamshoV Special for shits and gigs. That's a good title too.

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
Congrats. Since you are going the aes route you should have no problem finding these titles on the cheap.

:rolleyes:

I may be new but I wasn't born yesterday.

Still... I like some of your suggestions. I've never played a Sengoku game but I just had a peek at 3 and it looks great.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
:rolleyes:

I may be new but I wasn't born yesterday.

Still... I like some of your suggestions. I've never played a Sengoku game but I just had a peek at 3 and it looks great.
:cool::cool:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
As Razo has pointed out, it's not the best time to be buying AES games. I would suggest Magician Lord though, it's one of the best on the system in my opinion, and you should be able to find a copy for under £100 still. As long as you're patient, and not expecting to pick up an instant collection, there is still plenty of fun to be had buying for the AES.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I would def go the CMVS route if i was you. AES is way to expensive in this day and age. You can get the same experience as having a aes. But if your set on AES good luck.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
Don't let them talk you out of AES. AES is my preferred console and the games are just cool to have and even more amazing to play. Here are some of my favorites that I actually own, in your suggested game type:

Platformer - Top Hunter
Shoot-em-up - Aero Fighters 2
Run n Gun - Metal Slug 3
Racer - (only one i have is Riding Hero)
Sports - Baseball Stars 2
Puzzle - Puzzled

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Platformer - Top Hunter
Shoot-em-up - Aero Fighters 2
Run n Gun - Metal Slug 3

Great games, but the AES versions will cost you a fortune.

Stay away from Riding Hero, it's really not a game you'll want to play more than once.

Edit: I just realised you were the guy asking about a Metal Slug in the WTB section, so you obviously have the money for AES. Ignore my comment about the above games being pricey.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Great games, but the AES versions will cost you a fortune.

Stay away from Riding Hero, it's really not a game you'll want to play more than once.

Edit: I just realised you were the guy asking about a Metal Slug in the WTB section, so you obviously have the money for AES. Ignore my comment about the above games being pricey.

Lol

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Platform Top Hunter
Shoot-em-up Blazing Star
Run n Gun Metal Slug X
Racer (No thanks)
Sports Neo Turf Masters
Puzzle Magical Drop III
Other Twinkle Star Sprites (technically a shooter but it plays like a really good vs. puzzle game)

Now, I love fighting games (I'd be mad to get a Neo if I didn't)
LOL. Guess that makes Nitsunto pretty much certifiably insane. His main reason for getting a Big Red was for "puzzle games and Metal Slug"

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Neo Drift out is one of the best old school racers I have ever played. That's on MVS though.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
*I'm sure this topic has come up many times before over the years. Hopefully it's okay to talk about once more.

Some topics never get old -- only we do ;).

Here's my best & cheap line-up, since others covered best & expensive already:

Blue's Journey (platformer)
Alpha Mission II (vert shoot-em-up)
Ninja Commando (run n Gun)*
Thrash Rally (racer)
League Bowling (sports)
Joy Joy Kid (puzzle)
Nam-1975 (other)

* Run'n'gun are Commando-like games and the NGH doesn't offer others than Ninja Commando & Shock Troopers 2nd Squad (both are expensive, I chose the cheaper one). If you meant jump'n'shoot though, then take Cyber-Lip, yet, it will be still the most expensive game on this list.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Platformer: Spin Master
Shoot-em-up: Blazing Star
Run n Gun: Metal slug 3/Nam-75
Racer: Neo Drift Out
Sports: Super Sidekick 2
Puzzle: BAMA
Other: Crossed Swords 1&2

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
As Razo has pointed out, it's not the best time to be buying AES games. I would suggest Magician Lord though, it's one of the best on the system in my opinion, and you should be able to find a copy for under £100 still. As long as you're patient, and not expecting to pick up an instant collection, there is still plenty of fun to be had buying for the AES.

Thanks! I'm in no rush. Will buy a game now and then and make sure to play it thoroughly. I'm also thinking of getting an MVS/AES adapter so cost shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm not that precious about having the home versions.

As for Magician Lord, is it really that good? I watched some footage on YouTube it looked a bit stilted - kind of like Shinobi, which I've never been a huge fan of.

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Platformer Blues Journey
Shoot-em-up Alpha Mission II
Run n Gun Cyber Lip
Racer not much i can think of
Sports baseball stars 2
Puzzle Most puzzle games are on MVS but Joy joy kid
Other Nam 1975

These games are fun and not insanely expensive on the AES

-SD-

Camel Slug
King of the Monsters is pretty cheap and great for those moments when you feel like going off on a rampage and destroying a city.

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,

:)

I'm not rich by any stretch but, yeah, I have a little bit of hobby money.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Really interested in getting a baseball game. Is there much difference in quality between Baseball Stars 1/2 and 2020 Baseball?

Get Baseball Stars 2. Best baseball game on the systems, IMHO. 2020 Baseball is cool in all, but BS2 is a lot of fun.

Edit: Also, I hate Magician Lord. I think Blue's Journey or Top Hunter is a better side scroller.

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
These are the ones I had on AES

Run n Gun: Metal Slug 3
Racer: Thrash Rally
Sports: Street Hoops

Like others have said, get a CMVS or adaptor, and buy the MVS carts :tickled:

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
King of the Monsters is pretty cheap and great for those moments when you feel like going off on a rampage and destroying a city.

When I had my first Neo as a teenager, this is the one and only game I had for it. Couldn't afford any others! Would love to get it again if only for nostalgia reasons. I did enjoy it too.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Racer: Neo Drift Out
Puzzle: BAMA
This about NGH stoopid!

@OP: I'd suggest to stay away from conversions/boots, not worth it (MAYBE if they are organic (as in no original carts sacrificed)) - better to buy a MVS/AES adapter (like the Magic Key, gets you some Unibios features without mods too) and the legit MVS carts... or buy a CMVS (e.g. James/Xian Xi/Jamma Nation X and Quan/shadowkn55/Arcade Works build killer machines).

P.S.:
You can multiqoute with the + in the right corner below the posts...

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Really interested in getting a baseball game. Is there much difference in quality between Baseball Stars 1/2 and 2020 Baseball?

Don't know about 2020 Baseball but Baseball Stars 2 is one of the best arcade sport games I ever played along with the first Super Sidekicks.