Best Non-Apple Mp3 player?

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
I think I'm finally going to get one. However, from what I've read, I'm wary of the sound quality of the iPod not be quite as good...

Plus, I'm a Mac Hater (registered trademark), so I don't really want one.

Can anyone recommend a Mp3 player with:

1. Great sound quality
2. A good amount of storage space (30GB minimum on this one)

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
i've heard good things about the zune.
seriously, i love my ipodtouch, but if you really don't want to buy apple products, then i would probably recommend going with the microsoft alternative.

they are sleek lookin' devices.

:)

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
the audio on an iPod is fine enough, the issue with sound is due to the meh headphones packed in. Just grab a better pair and you are good to go.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
TonK said:
iPod 30gb
orochieddie said:
the audio on an iPod is fine enough
:conf: :conf: :conf:

My friend has a Samsung which he bought in Korea. Honestly, I don't know the model or if it has even been released anywhere BUT Korea, but the thing was iPod Touch A YEAR BEFORE the iPod touch. Ever since then, I've considered Samsung at an MP3-player maker to be at a state-of-the-art standard which is (for whatever reason) relatively unrecognised by consumers in the United States.

I found this press release with a couple of their products. Take a look.

Marek

Banned
Zunes are garbage. If you want to be too cool for apple then you deserve whatever inferior port you choose to buy. Caveat Emptor :rolleyes:

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
I'm an audio quality snob, and the iPod (other than the shuffle) has some of the best audio quality anywhere. The iPod isn't some overhyped fad product, it really is the best MP3 player out there if you want consistent build quality for a fierce price.

But since you're just being a hater, the only other option out there for you that's really worth a damn is the Zune 30 or the new Zune 80 which comes out in November.

Zune's are great players, they have a lot of cool features and have good sound quality, but if you think Apple locks you into a system you haven't seen anything. The new Zune firmware upgrade coming next week ads podcast support (finally) and allows you to keep your "squirted" songs indefinitely...though you can still only play them three times.

Zune marketplace is really good, its exactly like iTunes actually, and you can have subscriptions if you like. Zunes now support MP4 and H.264 video codecs, but the lossless support is still only of the Windows Media Variety (which, in my opinion, sounds better than WAV but not as good as Apple Lossless or FLAC).

The only downside is the battery life. The Zune gets about 12 hours of audio on a good day. No one knows what the Zune 80's battery life is like right now, but it's competing with the iPod Classic's 40 hours of audio and 8 hours of video. Good luck Allard.

If you're willing to go the flash route and deal with less memory, iRivers, Sony Walkmans, Sandisk Sansas, and M$'s new flash Zunes are all good options...but then again so is the Nano.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
id suggest creative. but they have so many products i dont know which one is the newest anymore.

i've used a vision:m for a bit and its great.

i personally use a sandisk e250.

the new sansas will have sdHC slots. which means something like 16gb on flash memory.

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
Just a tip, stay away from any Sony MP3 players, I bought 2 and they suck big time...

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
PrOzErG said:
Just a tip, stay away from any Sony MP3 players, I bought 2 and they suck big time...

If they suck, why did you buy more then one? :spock:

PrOzErG

Sacrifice is pleasure, , ,
ki_atsushi said:
If they suck, why did you buy more then one? :spock:

Because I tought maybe the other one could be better but it was worse.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
ViewtifulZFO said:
I think I'm finally going to get one. However, from what I've read, I'm wary of the sound quality of the iPod not be quite as good...

Plus, I'm a Mac Hater (registered trademark), so I don't really want one.

Can anyone recommend a Mp3 player with:

1. Great sound quality
2. A good amount of storage space (30GB minimum on this one)

Your computer. :D

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If you can't afford an IPOD, just get a Sansa.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Oops, see you're looking for a hard drive model.

I've heard good things about the Toshiba Gigabeats, and various Creative Vision models. Other than that, I could mostly recommend different flash based players.

Edit: I had a dedicated thread to this sort of thing in the Audio forum. (To help others.) Where the hell were you guys? :p

Last edited:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Nearly any mp3 player is "good enough"

It's not like we're living in the dark ages where the Rio PMP300 was the newest and shiniest.

While we're on the topic, I got some 8 Tracks, name me an 8 Track player not made by RCA.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
Call me old fashioned but I'd go with a Creative Zen Xtra or another player from Creative. It's a bit bigger than some "sleek" device that will fit in your pocket, but it's built like a tank and they can still be found for really cheap. Fuck paying $200-400 for rediculous products that don't do anything outstanding. If I wanted games to play on the go, I'd buy a handheld.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Right now i have a 20gb Ipod 4th gen, Sansa sandisk 1gb 250c (i think), 2gb of 250c and a creative zen plus. and i they are all good but just for the ease of use i use the ipod.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
http://www.woot.com/special.aspx?k=vipzune

Thank me later. It's a $99 refurbed Zune 30 for VIP listers at WOOT.

Like I said, the player is pretty good, but setup can be clunky (especially on Vista).

Also, there's a big firmware upgrade coming soon that'll open it up a bit more.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
AppleiDog said:
Right now i have a 20gb Ipod 4th gen...

ditto, I've dropped the thing more times than i can count and it still works with no issues. At any rate, why hate on apple products? Why eat hamburger when you can have filet mignon?