Best Fourth Generation Console

Best Fourth Generation Console

• Total voters

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
o.0 16-bit might generate confusion; I use 16-bit all the time, but only when referring to just the Genesis and SNES, or to games made to evoke nostalgia for SNES/Genesis games.

Confusion for who? The 20 year olds who weren't there? Fuck them anyways. Not like calling them fourth generation is much more descriptive.

Is it time to have another holy war about whether the Neo Geo is really 24-bit? ;)

If the Neo Geo is 24 bit than so is the Genesis.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I came into this thread a day late because I didn't even know what fourth generation is. I thought it was a thread about current consoles which I don't care about.

Snes/mega drive etc is the 16 bit generation you fucken spastics.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I came into this thread a day late because I didn't even know what fourth generation is. I thought it was a thread about current consoles which I don't care about.

"I thought you meant the 4th generation since I was born."

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The generation naming convention is much more useful when describing eras other than the NES through the launch of the 3D platforms.

The Dreamcast is 128 bit while the Wii is 32 bit. A meaningless distinction by that point.

The only time it gets murky is the second generation, when platforms like Atari 5200 and Colecovision launched to replace older hardware like Intellivision and 2600, but the older platforms ended up lasting longer due to the home console market crash in the West.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Confusion for who? The 20 year olds who weren't there? Fuck them anyways. Not like calling them fourth generation is much more descriptive.

No, Confusion with the folk that grew up in the 90s and generally only associate 16-bit with SNES and Genesis. You'll find more 20 year olds that know about Neo Geo and TG-16 then people in their mid to late 30s.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I can't wait until millennials get to be my age, so that I can listen to them bitch about the younger generation co-opting their childhood. "Why are these kids buying up all this stuff that they didn't even grow up with?!?" The irony is going to be awesome.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
No, Confusion with the folk that grew up in the 90s and generally only associate 16-bit with SNES and Genesis. You'll find more 20 year olds that know about Neo Geo and TG-16 then people in their mid to late 30s.

Seriously doubt that.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The SNES has some of my favorite games of all time, however I have to give the nod to Genesis because it's library is so well rounded.

I find myself playing Genesis quite a bit more than SNES these days.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

LOL noob.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I came in here for the snes circle jerk. Its easy to vote for something you have the most mileage on, but all these sytems have good games if you take the time to sit down and just play. Except the a'can, sorry taiwan.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I came in here for the snes circle jerk. Its easy to vote for something you have the most mileage on,
And it's easy to have the most mileage on the best console. That's why you put more miles on it.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I voted Super A'Can.

There may not be much of a library of games at all, but I just see so much untapped potential that could be unlocked if retro indie developers would just take notice of the console.

While I should have voted AES, I would be much happier if I could buy an awesome NG Dev Team on a much more affordable system that has more than enough power to handle bullet hell shmups and the like while still retaining quite appealing visuals. I don't mean the cost of the consoles themselves, but dev/production costs. Besides, one rarely gets the opportunity to discuss the A'Can so I didn't mind tossing my vote away.

Obviously I have a soft spot for the A'Can, but I think if just a single awesome modern game was released on it that people would be quite satisfied with this obscure little console that nobody really gave much thought about in the past.

Either way, until somebody releases something worthwhile (which is doubtful), I'll give it a rest. What is an awesome console without games, afterall?

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I find myself playing Genesis quite a bit more than SNES these days.

The same for me, as if Big N's family oriented policies finally came to flourish. With a few exceptions, nothing beats the edginess of the arcade oriented Genny, with it's superior resolution & Yamaha FM-goodness.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Super Nintendo for sure, easily my favorite of all time. I don't think you can have a SNES without a Genesis though, I sure wouldn't want to.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Super Nintendo for sure, easily my favorite of all time. I don't think you can have a SNES without a Genesis though, I sure wouldn't want to.

I agree with this. As a kid I went from the Nes straight to the Genny and only messed around with the Snes when I was over at my friends house so I did not get the full SNES experience. If I could vote for both I would.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Genesis. It brought the arcade home, affordably.