Best Cave shooter to start with?

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
My cousin is a pretty good video game player, and generally knows how to deal with a difficult game, no matter the genre. But still, he is confused how a person could ever enjoy a "bullet hell" or "manic shooter" game because they're impossible. His example was Daioujou :oh_no: which I consider to be an unfair representation of Cave games. I generally have felt that while Psikyo is more about memorization because of how fast the patterns move and that 8ing games are about working the rank system (then again what do I know), so we're just talking Cave here.

So which Cave shooter would you say is the best for someone to start with?

For a while I thought maybe Galuda except that it has a different bomb system than normal as well as the kakusei function. Then maybe Deathsmiles but that's not very prototypical of a Cave game, considering not only is it generally horizontal but also you fire left and right...

WinkWink

World Soccer '96
I would say galuda...

First Cave game that I played and enjoyed, you dont have to be that good at first because like you said it has a added kakusei function which in turn can SLOW bullet patterns down so you have a better understanding of how the level is built.

DOJ is also very good, even DoDonpachi is awesome and can be MAME'd

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
How bout in relation to scoring??

I guess I'd have to say galuda in my opinion but given the points about it you liste then I would have to say Dodonpachi - but that's where the score thing I brought up comes into play.

Oh, or maybe Mushihimesame. That's just shoot stuff and bomb, not too crazy of a score system. If you don't make it too crazy at least.

Why even ask here when you know the people you do????

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I'll be dead honest and say Deathsmiles.

Its super fun and pretty easy to get the hang of - it leaves you with an urge to play for score and challenge yourself.

He can even borrow my MBL PCB if he wants.

NINJA EDIT: Jon, I have Ibara, Progear, Deathsmiles and Mushi - if you need to bowwow one, let me know.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
Just hand him Deathsmiles. He'll get into it, and maybe want to play others like Mushi, Galuda, or DoDonPachi.

ookitarepanda

rare's hero,
I'll be dead honest and say Deathsmiles.

Its super fun and pretty easy to get the hang of - it leaves you with an urge to play for score and challenge yourself.

He can even borrow my MBL PCB if he wants.

NINJA EDIT: Jon, I have Ibara, Progear, Deathsmiles and Mushi - if you need to bowwow one, let me know.

You'd reeeeeeeeally lend me that MBL? Pretty steep, dawg. I could probably get access to a number of the cave games through Kiel or Alex around here but that superdeath sounds like temptation.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I would say DoDonPachi. It's seems a bit easier than the other Cave shooters I've played.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
Mushihimesama made me certifiably obsessed with Cave shmups. Espgaluda would also work. DoDonPachi might be a better place to start if the anime/loli aspect turns him off.

What genre does he normally play? Is he open minded enough to enjoy a shmup? Most of stereotypical FPS friends are too set in their ways to give it a chance.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Donpachi. Way nicer as an intro, not only 'cause is the first cave game but even played at high level the combos are impossible to carry on at high numbers so is not like if he doesn't do it he'll be missing out or anything.

Also I would recommend the US ver. only 'cause there are more chances of 1'cc that given the bomb restock after each stage. Well, the Jp ver. is great too but no restocking and a bit more difficult so is really up to him I guess, both ways are defenately the way to go though.

If you start him with something crazy that would be cool too, but he'll be missing out on a lot of fun older titles.

Dangun is another excellent primer with a friendly score and weapon/ship system and a good hectic pace.

bVork

n00b
Dangun Feveron. Might as well start with the best :)

But if you really want to get him into Cave's shooters, might as well start with Dodonpachi - the definitive bullet hell shmup.

Igniz v2

whinny little kid, why r teens so angry, needs sec
Dangun Feveron. Might as well start with the best :)

But if you really want to get him into Cave's shooters, might as well start with Dodonpachi - the definitive bullet hell shmup.

wow, another victoria member. i think that's a first.

anyways, my vote for this thread would be Progear. it's at a good medium difficulty on the scale of cave shmups. just complex enough scoring system and it's interesting enough to keep me going and playing more to get better. not to mention the game looks like poetry in motion.

Go with something like Dodonpachi. He doesn't need to chain and all that to get started.

I'd feel bad having my friend play something where you're a flying fairy on his first go.

Drakon

New Challenger
most people seem to start with dodonpachi. Although it's a bit hard. It's pretty much the basic shmup formula and just about anyone can get it going in mame.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Go with something like Dodonpachi. He doesn't need to chain and all that to get started.

I'd feel bad having my friend play something where you're a flying fairy on his first go.

I just LMAOed my ass off

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I say Mushihimesama is the easiest to play for a beginner. Easy bullet patterns and no stupid chaining to worry about. Plus is available on a console so there's no pissing around with roms.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I'd say Dodonpachi. Hard enough to be a challenge, but with an easy learning curve that makes it enjoyable even with two players.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
Another vote for Donpachi and Galuda. Galuda was the first Cave game that really hooked me. Donpachi is another that has some simple gameplay and bullet patterns. My first Cave game was Ibara (well, sorta cave game) which ended up being a huge turn off due to everything that was going on on the screen. I played the game in Tokyo when it came out and simply wanted to smash the CP out of frustration. Galuda helped as a good ease into Cave and bullet hell shmups. Now, I am hooked and working on a single player vert candy while tracking down an Ibara board.