Best and worst ports?

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
KOF 01 on the Dreamcast is one of my favorite fighters and game for the DC.

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
Best I've played was Fatal Fury Special on the SNES. I played it after I'd spent some time with the Neo Geo version and actually thought it was fairly good considering the weaker hardware. I've heard other people say it's crap though :)

There are apparently 2 versions with different meg counts

Also MOTW on Xbox 360 was good because you could play against opponents online.

Heard they don't play great but AOF + AOF 2 on the SNES look surprisingly good. They even scale the sprites (to a lesser degree than the NG original)

Cg591

Rugal's Thug
Shocktroopers on the SNK collection for PS2. The slowdown is downright atrocious

Has anyone played FF Special for Sega CD? I'm a little curious about it (and wondering why the price has gotten so high)

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
KOF 97 and Samurai spirits 3 on the Saturn were better than the psone versions, plus they're were good to play on that console.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
i heard that samurai shodown on the sega cd was great. but i did play the fatal fury special port. i'm not shore if there was something wrong on with the cd, but the animation was very choppy.

SS on Sega CD didn't have EARTHQUAKE. That was a deal breaker for me.

Special had a lot of frames left out, so it's a bit choppy.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
IIRC Dunk Dream on the Wii DECO collection is enjoyable, Sengoku 2 (PS2 Anthology/French-PAL) is a bugged nightmare.

ajflutie

n00b
FF MOTW on Dreamcast is excellent. I like that games version on DC over any other port.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
The good Fatal Fury 1&2,Genesis.

The bad Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury 2,SNES.

Any one ever watch let's compare ? Interesting to say at least.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Shocktroopers on the SNK collection for PS2. The slowdown is downright atrocious

Has anyone played FF Special for Sega CD? I'm a little curious about it (and wondering why the price has gotten so high)

I was massively disappointed on that one. Shocktroopers was the single reason i bought that compilation and it played like shit.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
Everyone complaining about 16-bit ports like Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown for SNES obviously haven't played the Genesis port of World Heroes. Those unlicensed Famicom ports play better than that garbage.

The Sega CD ports of FFS was pretty bad. Sprites were the same size as the MVS version but zero optimization as the backgrounds have no animation, no breakable objects, and the characters have a total of 2 standing animation frames. SS was a little better, still tons of cuts, but nothing like FFS. Unlike the cart version SS actually has all 3 punch and kick attacks.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
So the consensus is that a good port of Fatal Fury 3 or Samurai Shodown 3 does not exist?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's not true, Samsho 3 had a good Saturn port and Fatal Fury 3 had a good PC port.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The worst port I've ever played was the PS1 version of Marvel Superheroes.
I got the CPS2 board about 6 months ago, and the PS1 version is HORRIFIC.

Load times forever, slowdown, choppy sound.
The definition of an offensive port.
You are so out of it, that's one of the better CPS2 ports on the PSX that isn't a street fighter game...

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Best: Fatal Fury 2 - Sega Genesis
Worst: Samurai Shodown - SNES
Funnest: Guerrilla War - NES

@azathoth
I forgot about World Heroes on the Genesis. Holy crap that game was a turd. The Art of Fighting port on the Genesis wasn't very good either. But to be fair, as soon as I saw the thread title, before reading a single post, the first game that popped into my head as the worst was the SNES Sam Sho. The Genesis and Sega CD ports make the Snes version their bitch.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
KOF 98 on the psone is a decent port IMO.
I think so, too. I played the hell out of it after picking it up used at a flea market way back (14-15 years ago?)... didn't really know what SNK was then, but I remembered KOF from a cabinet I saw on vacation in france.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
World Heroes on the Genesis sucks ass big time. Oh by the way how are PCE ports like? I'm saving up to get one sooner or later.

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Viewpoint on the FM Towns Marty is excellent.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury 2 SNES may have been a bad port, but it's actually what brought me into the SNK love. It was the first Neo port I bought, followed by Art of Fighting SNES, then the rest of the SNES/Gen ports, PS1/Sat ports, etc.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
The Dreamcast and KOF Dream Match 99 brought me back to SNK that's the reason why I love that system.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
World Heroes on the Genesis sucks ass big time. Oh by the way how are PCE ports like? I'm saving up to get one sooner or later.

All 4 of the PCE ports are absolutely fantastic. Hudson's unique AST on Art of Fighting is waayyy better than the other AST.

Beyond having zoomed out graphics and the usual censorship I don't find the SNES version of SS too bad. At least it's still plays somewhat like the original and actually has medium & fierce attacks unlike the MD port.

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member

They're far superior to the Genesis/SNES ports and I still play them to this day. Still affordable, too.