Best and worst ports?

Missile

Another Striker
Shocktroopers on the SNK collection for PS2. The slowdown is downright atrocious

The slowdown on the original *Neo Geo* Shocktroopers frustrated me to hell. Most slowdown I'm ok with (apart from MS2, obviously, which is like walking in treacle) but with Shocktroopers, it's noticeable because it's smooth most of the time - so when it happens, it just comes out of nowhere and spoils an otherwise slick game. It seems to happen often when there's not much going on so *has* to be poor coding.

It's hard to imagine why the person in charge of the project didn't just ask a coder to optimise the code and get rid of the slowdown? :scratch: Do your job, this is an expensive game...

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Back in the day I traded in the PS2 SNK collection and picked up the Wii version. Shock Troopers and Last Resort are much nicer in that version.

How about the PC-Engine Arcade Card games? I don't have any of them but I heard good things.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I had completely forgotten about it but the unlicensed port of Samurai Spirits II for the Mega Drive is pretty much unplayable, and it's SNES cousin (Soul Blade VS Samurai Shodown) is much, much worse. If you throw unofficial ports in the hat then those two have to be the worst ports of any SNK title, worse than MD World Heroes far worse than the Famicom versions of KoF, SS, or FFS.

While shitty those FC titles are at least playable which is much more than can be said about the 16-bit versions of SSII.

PSICODROMO

Crazed MVS Addict
Metal Slug Anthology for PS2 is a decent port, with a lot of extras; artworks, sound tracks, interviews, and you have the six Metal Slugs in one compilation.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Back in the day I traded in the PS2 SNK collection and picked up the Wii version. Shock Troopers and Last Resort are much nicer in that version.

How about the PC-Engine Arcade Card games? I don't have any of them but I heard good things.

The only one I played was AOF and although it's not bad, it still doesn't compare to the original neo version. Sprites are smaller and the zooming is a little out of whack. Still impressive what the pce was able to pull off.

Another port that was mediocre was Samsho III Blades of Blood for the PS1. I remember as a kid having a blast with it but it's not as good as the Saturn version.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
SAT has the best port of GnG, followed by SGX, then Genny.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Which is better Twinkle star sprites on the Saturn or Dreamcast?

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
Best: A lot of the compilations on the PS2 such as Last Blade 1 & 2, KOF Orochi Collection (NOT the Orochi Saga, which was released on PS2 & Wii), etc. Not only were the games spot-on for the most part, but there was also a color edit mode and the ability to switch between the cart and cd version's soundtrack.

Worst: Probably Metal Slug Anthology on the Wii. I hated how there were little load times that would interrupt the flow of the game when you move from one part of a level to another in some of the later titles. Not only that, but you either had to use the Wiimote and Nunchuk with motion controls or a GC controller. You couldn't use a Classic Controller for some reason. :(

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Which is better Twinkle star sprites on the Saturn or Dreamcast?
The Saturn port is often regarded as better, as it features many more extras (for some even making it superior to the original release).
The DC port is said to have an option to turn off the slowdowns though.

I never owned/played either.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Some of you are mentioning those compilation discs of older games for newer consoles. But are those ports? I thought that those were the actual original games (for the most part) and the hardware is just emulating them. I'm not a techie, but doesn't a port involve rewriting the game (often from scratch) for a specific console?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
The only one I played was AOF and although it's not bad, it still doesn't compare to the original neo version. Sprites are smaller and the zooming is a little out of whack.

The game doesn't zoom, it just flicks back and forth between different resolutions to simulate the effect. It doesn't look quite right, but it's a neat gimmick.

Last edited:

PSICODROMO

Crazed MVS Addict
Art of Fighting Anthology and Samurai Shodown Anthology on PS2 are also very decent ports, and both are 240p

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Art of Fighting Anthology and Samurai Shodown Anthology on PS2 are also very decent ports, and both are 240p

So we're the rest of the Neo geo online collection ports for PS2 I think.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Perhaps in Europe they're 240p but they're not in the NTSC US/CA, or maybe you just don't know what 240p looks like...