Battle Garegga Saturn

Jreach

n00b
For those who have played, how good is it?

Is it worth the $180 it goes for on eBay?

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Try to find it on the forums first, you could probably score one for under $150 if you're patient. Doesn't seem that long ago this was under a $100 game. :(

But yeah, much like Batsugun, Hyper Duel and others, it's another good example of a near perfect arcade port on the saturn.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
If you are a novice there are probably better ways to spend your money. If you are a veteran then you already know it’s worth it, one of the greatest in the genre (if not the greatest of all time), and infinite replay value.

I love rank.

me too, nearly every shmups has it for a reason (to steal yo moneys! :keke: )

$150 is a decent price I’d imagine, but for that loot you could get 4-5 pretty awesome saturn shooters. Which saturn shmups do you already have?

Jreach

n00b
If you are a novice there are probably better ways to spend your money. If you are a veteran then you already know it’s worth it, one of the greatest in the genre (if not the greatest of all time), and infinite replay value.

me too, nearly every shmups has it for a reason (to steal yo moneys! :keke: )

$150 is a decent price I’d imagine, but for that loot you could get 4-5 pretty awesome saturn shooters. Which saturn shmups do you already have?

Terra Driver
Strikers 1945 ii
Galactic Attack
Radiant Silvergun (purchased brand new from an Electronics Boutique $60 way back in the day)

Many more on the DC and Neo MVS. Just never got around to playing Battle Garegga.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Battle Garegga is really a great shoot´em up. Especially the saturn version is a very good port to console. You have to buy this !

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
holy hell i bought this for like sixty bucks nine years ago.

how much does RSG go for now

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
holy hell i bought this for like sixty bucks nine years ago.

how much does RSG go for now

Bought mine for $106 a year ago from loopy eddie and felt that was a bargain. I regularly see them go around the 130-160 range in good complete condition

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
So I played this game called Battle Garage. It starts with all your planes parked in a garage, and when you select one it takes off!

Yes it's good. Probably the best of the 100+ bunch. There are worse ways to spend that much on a Saturn stg *cough*blastwind*cough*.

Chempop

I’d say get Dodonpachi ($50ish?) first. Once the first loop feels pretty easy, then you’ll be ready for Garegga.
Even thought the DDP port is not perfect, it’s still a great game. It’s also nothing like Garegga, rather than straight survival Garegga encourages bomb use, medal chaining, boss milking and even frequent deaths (and extends at every 1million).

With the left over moneys stock up on frozen veggies, ramen, and sriracha sauce :buttrock:

Omerta

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Great game.

If you end up not liking it, you probably won't have much trouble getting rid of it.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
From the gameplay videos and such I've seen, i would love to own or at least play this gem. I enjoy a challenging shooter and this one looks like it has a ton of replay value, which justifies the price tag tremendously.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Battle Garegga.

One of the best vert shmups ever created. Congrats...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Most likely the OP will only be be enamored if he is into the genre enough to learn, understand and apply Yagawa gimmicks.

If he's a collector he'll be fine.

One certainty exists though : You can't go wrong with Blast Wind.

Chempop

I was trying to turn this thread into a DDP vs BG thread. :lolz:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
This is one of the rare occasions where the port is better than the board. The option to turn on red ball so you can actually see what kills you is a pretty novel idea.

The ability to save your settings with the hidden characters is nice too.

I'm typically not a fan of games where suiciding is almost a requirement, but this is an exception. The chime when you start getting the 10K medals is one of the more erotic sounds in all of gaming.

Most importantly, once again, andsuch is on point. Blast Wind is boss. Choose your path done right.

Jreach

n00b
Most likely the OP will only be be enamored if he is into the genre enough to learn, understand and apply Yagawa gimmicks.

If he's a collector he'll be fine.

One certainty exists though : You can't go wrong with Blast Wind.

I'm a collector. I didn't buy it for the novelty, Love the genre, ready to sink some serious time into the game.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Battle Garegga has the best soundtrack 2nd only to Bio Metal.

Blast Wind is especially good for two player (we've discussed this)

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
It was a troll post.

Bio Metal's Jpn soundtrack is very good and I was totally ignorant of it until you told me about it. Peeps can compare them here

It could also be argued that SNES did a better job of 2 Unlimited than 2 Unlimited themselves.