Ban people from spamming their ebay shit

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I reckon theres a good chance this suggestion will be shot down in flames but I am going to make it anyway.

I am sick of people putting shit on ebay and then advertising it on here. It's like they aren't willing to let it sell for the price they'll get here, but they're happy for members to drive up the price of the item by bidding on it. Fuckin pathetic.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I agree with you but I don't think that it's gonna happen. Lots of people love ebay here and we have to respect that. I've never bought anything listed on ebay here but I know lots of members did. I think that putting "ebay" in the title of the selling thread would be nice though, this would save some time.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I sort of agree, well, let me put it this way. A lot of times I see people doing it in a way that I feel is ok. It's more the newbies that come in and post a link to their ebay selling page and call it a day that really get me; hell, anyone that just makes a post where it's an ebay link to something they're selling without any context. That's not the only misuse of it I've seen but the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

In other words, if you've earned your stripes here you know how to link an auction tastefully and that's cool. I don't think banning all ebay links would be appropriate, especially since there are lots of non-selling contexts where someone would link one as well.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
As a rare ebay user I'll say this:

Ebay offers a service that allows the seller to open up a haggling service without the inconvenience of back and forth via PM and the time needed to take those extra steps. This functionality can't be automated an put into this forum, but there's no reason people of these forums shouldn't be exposed to a potentially better deal - if the item was already listed for sale here and some semblence of interest has been expressed.

If the item wasn't previously listed for sale here, then the buyer would just as well search on ebay for the items they want rather than having advertisements parroted in the sales forum.

It's not really about ebay itself - rather the seller's ability to make it a more valuable opportunity. A seller can actually offer a better price at a better service by going through ebay and it's all in their finesse - even putting up a private auction for anyone interested is an option people can explore. It's the circumstances that need to be moderated - hopefully by the sellers themselves - and not always the content. This goes for a lot more than ebay links.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I say people list out the offenders so we can round them up and spank them. We'll pull down their pants and spank them on their asses.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Just for the record...

If you *EVER* see an ebay link from me here... It's 100% up-for-grabs by forum members.

I will gladly rip anything off of Ebay, provided you give me notice and there aren't any bids, and sell it to you for cheaper than I put it on Ebay for.

I sort of thought this was one of those universal unwritten rules, but recent topics have proved otherwise....

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
It's the circumstances that need to be moderated - hopefully by the sellers themselves - and not always the content. This goes for a lot more than ebay links.

This, or as Coryoon said, if it's an auction if they'd kindly put "FA: " or "eBay" or something in the title, that way if people don't want to pay attention to users posting their eBay goods then they don't have to.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Posting of eBay auctions is fine as long as the title indicates its an auction and the seller doesn't bump more than once per 24hr period. And it has to be their item and in their possession.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I thought the market rules for this website required that if a seller had his item for list on another website that the title of the thread had to clearly state that. Something as simple as "For Auction" or "FS on eBay" would suffice.

Price jackers can burn though.

Posting of eBay auctions is fine as long as the title indicates its an auction and the seller doesn't bump more than once per 24hr period. And it has to be their item and in their possession.

Yeah, what he said. How did I not read that?

SSS

neo retired
ban members who have been here for over 2 years, but still start non-neo related topics in general discussion.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
General Discussion should be for exactly what it's called. How the fuck is it "general" if it's only about SNK related topics?

You've never made a mistake in your life SSS? Well damn, I wish I could be half as fucking perfect as you seem to think you are, you arrogant prick.

XX: Thanks a lot! :lolz:

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Anytime I see the eBay only posters on front page, from now on, I'm just going to bump someone else's sales thread. Simple enough.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
XX: Thanks a lot! :lolz:

Haha, it's true though. A lot of old members post non-snk/neo related stuff there and it's supposed to be for Neo/SNK related stuff only. I don't mind some threads but when it's stuff that belongs in unrelated like "egyptian protest" then I give the :spock:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Linking to ebay transactions is okay as long as it isn't one's sole "business model" on here.

clutch

Geese's Thug
I'm on another forum (same software) where we use a tag system to identify types of threads. Right next to the subject line, there is a dropdown that lists For Sale, For Trade, For Auction, etc... This shows up next to the thread and you can filter by these tags as well.

Really helps me to quickly scan the list and ignore the threads I don't want to read.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm on another forum (same software) where we use a tag system to identify types of threads. Right next to the subject line, there is a dropdown that lists For Sale, For Trade, For Auction, etc... This shows up next to the thread and you can filter by these tags as well.

Really helps me to quickly scan the list and ignore the threads I don't want to read.

we have that ability too, but it's not turned on.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member

people can do that by just typing "FA" in the subject but they sometimes don't

i'm fine with linking ebay auctions as long as it's indicated in the title (so i know to avoid them because i never go anywhere near ebay anymore)

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Like stated before, the title needs to be clear, that solves the problem easily. People should have a 3 strike warning system, third time you're out. Done! Seems some people are concerned loosing members for some reason...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
people can do that by just typing "FA" in the subject but they sometimes don't

i'm fine with linking ebay auctions as long as it's indicated in the title (so i know to avoid them because i never go anywhere near ebay anymore)

Yup, they're supposed to put "FA" right at the beginning. We should run it like killercabs and give you one warning to fix it before deleting the thread.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's actually a prime idea. Thread deletion should be enforced. All sale threads should have a prefix.

FS = For Sale
FT = For Trade
FA = For Auction
IC = Interest Check

However, there's the wants to

WTT = Willing to trade
WTS = Willing to sale
WTB = Willing to buy

Which also brings me to the conundrum that is

Willing to trade for = WTTF I dunno, that's a wacky one.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
If I had a say here I'd prohibit ebay sales completely. NG.com for the most part is a brotherhood and we sell stuff to each other for fair prices. We look out for each other. Fuck Ebay. And unlike Ebay.. NG.com charges you NOTHING when you post your items up for sale.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
If I had a say here I'd prohibit ebay sales completely. NG.com for the most part is a brotherhood and we sell stuff to each other for fair prices. We look out for each other. Fuck Ebay. And unlike Ebay.. NG.com charges you NOTHING when you post your items up for sale.
I agree with this, but at the same time, I understand the want to use eBay as a selling-place once-in-a-while. For a good middle road, why not just establish the understanding that the #1 purpose of selling on Neo-Geo.com is to fucking sell on Neo-Geo.com like so:

1) Seller posts their selling thread on Neo-Geo.com for ten days.
2a) Someone on Neo-Geo.com purchases the item.
2b) No-one on Neo-Geo.com comes to a satisfactory deal with the seller; the seller then has the justification to change his/her thread to advertise the item's sale on another website.

Then everyone's happy, because advertising one's wares on Neo-Geo.com gave the people on this forum first-chance to get the item. The delay in the item's potential sale on a website like eBay also helps to deter money-hungry sellers from viewing their actions on Neo-Geo.com as viable. And ultimately, people get the chance to advertise their other-site sales as long as they were willing to make the effort to understand that posting on Neo-Geo.com is supposed to be for members of Neo-Geo.com. If they can't get past that part... fuck 'em.
icon30.gif

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
My thoughts exactly mate..

The way I see it if you want to sell shit on ebay for maximum profit, but buy it on here at lowest possible price, you deserve to be banned. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
That's actually a prime idea. Thread deletion should be enforced. All sale threads should have a prefix.

FS = For Sale
FT = For Trade
FA = For Auction
IC = Interest Check

However, there's the wants to

WTT = Willing to trade
WTS = Willing to sale
WTB = Willing to buy

Which also brings me to the conundrum that is

Willing to trade for = WTTF I dunno, that's a wacky one.

I always thought the W was Wanted.

Amendments for -
WTPT - Willing to Plane Ticket
WTBMK - Willing to Black Market a Kidney
WTBKF - Willing to break knees fee
WTBF - Willing to bottom for
WTTA - Willing to try an.. ything?

I'm just saying.... some of these are acceptable terms members may want to advertise.