Average going price of USA-region AES systems?

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I know these have a reputation for their censorship and composite quality. But if I can bear with the poor output of a Sega Genesis, this can't be much different... Or could it?

So I figure I'd ask about prices first. Rather than request one, then face sticker shock. I certainly don't have the money right now either way.

I'd also heard it's near impossible to tell apart between US and Japan models when they're not powered on. Which along with US ones being scarcer, slows down my attempt to find the pricing myself. :scratch:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
get japenese unit and get a unibios and socket for it

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I suppose if all of that and unibios installation service, together costs less upfront than a us unit. I'm something of a bargain basement person. :)

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
spend the money and get a modded one it is well worth it. at least get one with a unibios and s-video mod. mine has component hd and stereo outs and this thing looks and sounds incredible on my 40" sony lcd hdtv

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hmm. Tempting. What video mode does that component mod use?

My hdtv doesn't support Playstation1 resolution through component, I'm a bit worried Neo Geo could be similar.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Hmm. Tempting. What video mode does that component mod use?

My hdtv doesn't support Playstation1 resolution through component, I'm a bit worried Neo Geo could be similar.

Yours may not, some are better at upscaling certain inputs from older systems. There is a thread about HDTV compatibility where people have posted their set-ups, might want to search for that and see if your model is mentioned. My HDTV is a 46" Bravia and it has a tough time with s-video from the jrok or neobitz and it won't even display component. You can get a XRGB-3 upscaler so your ps1/other consoles will display but thats a $300+ device.

If you have the space I really suggest picking up an older 32/36 inch monitor or TV with component for your older consoles, you can get them pretty cheap on craigslist.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
well if your tv is a vizio then forget it those things wont even recognize anything from componenet out of my system but a lot of the sony and samsung tvs work just great

Lum

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yours may not, some are better at upscaling certain inputs from older systems. There is a thread about HDTV compatibility where people have posted their set-ups, might want to search for that and see if your model is mentioned. My HDTV is a 46" Bravia and it has a tough time with s-video from the jrok or neobitz and it won't even display component. You can get a XRGB-3 upscaler so your ps1/other consoles will display but thats a $300+ device.

If you have the space I really suggest picking up an older 32/36 inch monitor or TV with component for your older consoles, you can get them pretty cheap on craigslist.

See... PS2 allowed PS1 games to output in their native mode through component. (used by Disgaea and some other low-res PS2 titles as well).

Because it doesn't support component cables, the particular issue I'm referring to cannot be encountered on actual PS1 hardware. Or NES/SNES/Genesis/Saturn/etc or any other not-component-capable console for that matter.

craigslist? perhaps if there's a 1080p tv which does 240p. Then I'd have the best of both blu-ray movies and PS2!

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Not sure if I have been doing something wrong or not, but my Samsung HDTV Televisions have always done horribly with the my Neo Geo no matter what kind of output I used. I also tried an HP monitor and had similar bad results.

Only when I attached a proper CRT monitor (Sony Trinitron PC display) through an XRGB did I get the results I wanted, and then some. Suddenly, it looked almost perfect with brilliant colors and all that.

These games just seem to love CRT displays.