Atomiswave to Naomi

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Damn it! I cant get the PC to communicate with the Naomi :mad:
I already read a couple tutorials and can't understand what i'm doing wrong.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Tested and works great on my NAOMI with sega JVS IO. Awesome stuff.

When I see rumble fish or fist of the north star I'll kick in a $$$ donation.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Damn it! I cant get the PC to communicate with the Naomi :mad:
I already read a couple tutorials and can't understand what i'm doing wrong.

Step by step of what you are doing please. I just went through learning how to do this. I use the script that werejag posted since I have no zero key (yet, I'l burn my own)

You need to change your netdimm's IP address to one not used another computer on your network (if using a router). If you are doing a direct connect to your computer, make sure you use a cross-over ethernet cable. Once you set the IP different from your computer(s), try to ping it. If it pings then you should be able to netboot no problem.

Also, does your Naomi boot screen say Network System or GDrom system?

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I'm using a cross over cable to connect directly to the computer.
Changed the jumpers and it says Network System, and then searching.

I friend of mine was at my place last week and we managed to update the Dimm's firmware to 4.01. We could even netboot some games but with error 33, i think it's related to not having the security pic.

Today, i was trying again but as mentioned earlier, i can't even ping the machine. This time i'm using my wife's laptop with Windows 7, i'm afraid it is something to do with the IP setting.

Since i'm, using cross over cable, the IP on the laptop and on the Naomi must be the same, right?

Thank you so much for all you help guys, but i don't want to "polute" the thread with this :hammer:

Edit- One more thing: To use that script, you need to install Python and Pycrypto right? I can't install Pycrypto, each time i run the install program it says it can't find Python 2.7, but i have that already...

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Using a crossover cable you will have to manually set an IP in the same subnet on both devices.

I.e. set computer to 192.168.0.1 and naomi to 192.168.0.2. The first three sets of digits need to be the same on both devices. Sometimes it's easier with a router, which will auto assign your computer an IP. Otherwise you have to go into your network control panel, TCP/IP properties, and hard-set the IP address for the PC. Then set the naomi to a "similar" IP with the same first three sets of digits.

Yes, you need pycrypto for the script to work. Or, just use linux :P

edit: error 31 / 33, if i remember right, one of these means you need to adjust your monitor settings in test mode to match the game (i.e. you tried to boot a vertical monitor game on a horizontal monitor). The other means it's a 1p game in a 2p cab... I think trigger heart exelica (and maybe some others) requires the system assignments to be set to one player.

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
didnt see it mentioned earlier but just FYI this is working 100% with NetDIMM 4.02 and BIGTIME CF Reader

Dion

I'm using a cross over cable to connect directly to the computer.
Changed the jumpers and it says Network System, and then searching.

I friend of mine was at my place last week and we managed to update the Dimm's firmware to 4.01. We could even netboot some games but with error 33, i think it's related to not having the security pic.

Today, i was trying again but as mentioned earlier, i can't even ping the machine. This time i'm using my wife's laptop with Windows 7, i'm afraid it is something to do with the IP setting.

Since i'm, using cross over cable, the IP on the laptop and on the Naomi must be the same, right?

Thank you so much for all you help guys, but i don't want to "polute" the thread with this :hammer:

Edit- One more thing: To use that script, you need to install Python and Pycrypto right? I can't install Pycrypto, each time i run the install program it says it can't find Python 2.7, but i have that already...

My computer said the same thing when I tried to load it. So I just re-installed python and them immediately installed Pycrypto and it worked.

I'm guessing your Naomi is saying that the game is Unacceptable by the mainboard? Read below to fix it. The script will take care of it.

So once you have it all installed, unpack the naomi-boot.py file and open it with notepad. Edit the IP address near the top of the file to the IP you assigned to your NetDIMM. The Naomi_boot script will allow you to use ANY pic the boot the game (I use a Sports Jam PIC, but you must have a PIC installed). Open your command prompt and ping the NetDIMM's IP address.

If it pings then go to your command prompt and get to the python directory. Your command line will look something like this:

c:\python27> python c:\[directory naomi_boot.py is in]\naomi_boot.py c:\[directory Naomi games are in]\gamename.bin

Naomi should reboot and load a series of times and then boot into the game.

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Thanks a lot for all the inputs.

I really need to get that pycrypto installed...

Besides, yesterday i tried it withou any pic, but i'm sure the problem was something else.
I hope to have some time tonight to try it all again, i will get back with some feedback.

Thanks guys.

Edit- I was trying to boot Border Down on my yoko setup, so i think it's good.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Just a quick note. If you have trouble installing PyCrypto, it's normally because of a mismatch between 32 and 64bit versions of Python. Only use Python 2.7.x 32bit, and PyCrypto 2.1 for Python 2.7, otherwise it will not work correctly. I haven't used the Naomi boot tool, but I have other tools that require PyCrypto and have had to wrestle with the same issues in the past. That should straighten you out.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Just a quick note. If you have trouble installing PyCrypto, it's normally because of a mismatch between 32 and 64bit versions of Python. Only use Python 2.7.x 32bit, and PyCrypto 2.1 for Python 2.7, otherwise it will not work correctly. I haven't used the Naomi boot tool, but I have other tools that require PyCrypto and have had to wrestle with the same issues in the past. That should straighten you out.

That must be it! I remember now that i installed a python version i already had (probably 32bit) and now i was trying to install the 64bit version of Pycrypto.
Can't wait to get back home and try again,lol.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Ok, i made some progress:

I was able to install both the Python and the Pycrypto (thanks for the pro tip RabbitTroop)
I can now ping and communicate with the Naomi.

When i try to launch a game, the Naomi reboots and shows "Now loading" and stays there for minutes (a lot of time) and nothing more happens.

The only way to launch the games using the boot_py is through .bat files right?? I created a .bat file for each game (tested with border down and Ikaruga) and this is what i have written inside the file: "c:\python27\python.exe naomi_boot.py naomi\Ikarugav3" My .bin files are inside the Naomi folder, but i'm afraid it is something wrong with these files...

Another question:
When i double click the .bat file, it opens a command prompt but the text appears very fast and the window closes, is this normal?

At least i think i'm closer to the goal,lol.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Ok, i made some progress:

I was able to install both the Python and the Pycrypto (thanks for the pro tip RabbitTroop)
I can now ping and communicate with the Naomi.

When i try to launch a game, the Naomi reboots and shows "Now loading" and stays there for minutes (a lot of time) and nothing more happens.

The only way to launch the games using the boot_py is through .bat files right?? I created a .bat file for each game (tested with border down and Ikaruga) and this is what i have written inside the file: "c:\python27\python.exe naomi_boot.py naomi\Ikarugav3" My .bin files are inside the Naomi folder, but i'm afraid it is something wrong with these files...

Another question:
When i double click the .bat file, it opens a command prompt but the text appears very fast and the window closes, is this normal?

At least i think i'm closer to the goal,lol.

c:\python27\python.exe naomi_boot.py <you're missing the drive letter>naomi\Ikarugav3

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
c:\python27\python.exe naomi_boot.py <you're missing the drive letter>naomi\Ikarugav3

Duh (insert face palm here)!

I'm a complete noob in this matter, please excuse me. I copied that example from some french website and it didn't mentioned nothing refering the drive. I asked this specifically because altough i'm not familiar with command lines that didn't made sense to me.

Well, another test is waitings for me when i get back home. Only 8 more hours of work and i'm done :lolz:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Nah... I think i will give up for now.

I corrected the .bat but get the same result. I think i have to wait for a more comprehensive tutorial on this...

Dion

Nah... I think i will give up for now.

I corrected the .bat but get the same result. I think i have to wait for a more comprehensive tutorial on this...

What exactly are you changing? You only need to change the IP address in the naomi_boot.py file to match the IP address of your NetDIMM. (use notepad to open and edit) There is no .bat file to edit.

If you tell me these things I will tell you exactly how to type out the command line:

1. Directory of the python exe. (I assume you will use the standard Python27 directory)
2. Directory that the naomi_boot.py file is in
3. Directory your game files are in (give me the name of a game bin you have as an example)

I guess if you grew up in the Windows age then you might have problems with command lines. It is not forgiving if you mistype something. My first computer (early 90's) when I was in 3rd grade to about 7th grade, had no hard drive, two 5.25 floppy drives, a Hercules monochrome monitor and had to be booted using a DOS boot disk every time you turned it on. So I got quite adept at using command lines. lol

skate323k137

10 Year Member
The issue here is likely that he's using a crossover cable, if the network card is set for DHCP (auto config IP address) it's not going to know what IP it's supposed to have. Use a router so you can check your PC's own IP address, or at least run "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt and see if your PC's IP is similar to your NAOMI.

Dion

The issue here is likely that he's using a crossover cable, if the network card is set for DHCP (auto config IP address) it's not going to know what IP it's supposed to have. Use a router so you can check your PC's own IP address, or at least run "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt and see if your PC's IP is similar to your NAOMI.

You might be right. Here is a document I found online (can't remember where). Use it to set your IPs if you are using a crossover cable then use our instructions for booting the game with naomi_boot.

Or just avoid most of the IP issue by using a router.

Attachments

• NetBooting Naomi - Client Setup Guide.pdf
    935.6 KB · Views: 19

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I know that document already and followed all the steps to set the IP:
Naomi is 198.168.0.10
PC is 199.168.0.09

1. Directory of the python exe. (I assume you will use the standard Python27 directory)
2. Directory that the naomi_boot.py file is in
3. Directory your game files are in (give me the name of a game bin you have as an example)

1. Default - c:\Python27
2. c:\Netboot
3. c:\Netboot\Naomi\Ikarugav3.bin

Now you got me confused:
You don't need any .bat file? How do you choose wich game you want to load? Does the naomi_boot.py have that information?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
rm he is asking for your info on those so he can write you a proper bat. also can you verify you have cross over cable and not a patch cord?

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
rm he is asking for your info on those so he can write you a proper bat. also can you verify you have cross over cable and not a patch cord?

It's definitely a cross over cable.