Atomiswave through Supergun extremely washed out

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I picked up an Atomiswave motherboard and KoF NeoWave a little while back to use on a Supergun that works flawlessy with an MVS motherboard.

If I set the Atomiswave to 30khz I get 2 screens side by side, a bit like when you run a 3D movie without enabling 3D.

On 15khz it is extremely washed out. I don't even want to look at it or play it.

I am connecting through Scart (into a Scart to HDMI thingy - not an expensive one but works OK with MVS mobo) and the Supergun is running just above 5v.

A Bang & Olufsen CRT TV with Scart is coming in the next week so I can play the Neo Geo as it was meant to be played.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? Things to try etc?

Thanks

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does your supergun allow you do adjust the brightness of the image? It sounds like your RGB lines are too hot, they need resistors on them. Better superguns allow you to adjust the brightness, as it varies from board to board. For example, on my setup the CPS2 needs a much higher resistance than MVS to get approximately the same levels.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Thanks for the heads up. I will check, might post a pic of the inside of it as I didn't build it, I inherited it along the way. Am really keen on some SSVI, KoF11 and Neo Geo Battle Coliseum down the road so hope I can sort it out.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Here is a pic of the inside of the supergun. The two switches near each other are for On/Off and Mono/Stereo. I don't really know what I'm looking for but it's pretty obvious there is nothing to adjust brightness. What options do I have?

IMG_20161005_131534.jpg

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Seems like there's a triple gang pot near the P2 controls on the motherboard inside. You can try twisting the part sticking out of the board to adjust the levels.

edit: The split screen at 31khz thing sounds like you're using it on a standard definition CRT, expected behavior since they can't sync 31khz.

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
That's definitely it. Tested it with the MVS and it's adjusting the brightness. Will check it on the Atomiswave after a few more Real Bout games.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It could also be the 12v line, the AW needs it to power some op-amps.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Tested it today on the Bang Olufsen CRT I picked up and it works fine. All sorted now, thanks for the help.
Am pretty sure the Scart to HDMI box was doing something to it as well - no matter I won't be using that thing again anytime soon.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Tested it today on the Bang Olufsen CRT I picked up and it works fine. All sorted now, thanks for the help.
Am pretty sure the Scart to HDMI box was doing something to it as well - no matter I won't be using that thing again anytime soon.

If you are using a SCART to HDMI box, you need to make sure you have the trigger line set up to tell it to pull the video from RGB, if you don't it will try to make an image from just composite video/sync.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've had a bad experience running atomiswave video through my SuperGun as well. What I ended up doing was using the supergun to power the atomiswave and for controls and just ran a vga cable to a Dell Lcd or Sony Crt Monitor and it looked great. Thats the beauty of the atomiswave.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I've had a bad experience running atomiswave video through my SuperGun as well. What I ended up doing was using the supergun to power the atomiswave and for controls and just ran a vga cable to a Dell Lcd or Sony Crt Monitor and it looked great. Thats the beauty of the atomiswave.

I'll definitely give this a go. Have to check to see if my LCD accepts VGA otherwise I'll pull the monitor out of the study for a while!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

A lot of superguns don't use a lot of things. I don't think anyone has ever had a problem displaying an AW with one of my superguns.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
A lot of superguns don't use a lot of things. I don't think anyone has ever had a problem displaying an AW with one of my superguns.

Some TV sets/ Systems are weird when it comes to sync issues, I hardly believe it's a Supergun issue unless there is no resistance at all in the Video lines. I play everything on my Supergun while plugged in my Consumer Trinitron.
But for instance, the PGM doesn't want to sync on my PVM. Every other system works flawlessly on the PVM there without any issues.
If I plug the same Supergun on my trinitron with the PGM, I get a perfectly stable, sync'ed picture but totally out of horizontal center position.

Maybe I should add pot for the sync instead of a resistor.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

That's why your the man, bro. On my sigma to pvm it just didn't look right. It could be the pvm that doesn't like the atomiswave or the sigma. I plugged it into my Dell lcd monitor and it looked perfect.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's why your the man, bro. On my sigma to pvm it just didn't look right. It could be the pvm that doesn't like the atomiswave or the sigma. I plugged it into my Dell lcd monitor and it looked perfect.

Did you set the switches before connecting it to the LCD? If you didn't, that means that it's set for VGA.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Did you set the switches before connecting it to the LCD? If you didn't, that means that it's set for VGA.

Nah bro. When I set it to vga I get the double screen like dahun was getting. When I flipped the switch again I would get a full picture but the colors and image would look like shit. This was awhile back when I owned a atomiswave and really didn't give a shit since I had monitors that I could plug in vga and get a perfect picture. Wish I would of taken some snaps so you could see how bad it looked. It was a blurry mess.